Logs, logs, and more logs...then some logs

hamilto6

Hi all. I've been chasing down an issue with my customer's Surface Pro for a while, long-story-shortish, I would really like it if I could use Task Scheduler to open HWinfo (which I've been able to do), but I'd also like those sweet-sweet logs. So far, I only know how to generate logs manually (start up HWinfo, select Sensors Only, then click the green + icon and choose a filename and location). This obviously negates the whole "let task scheduler do it" thing I'm going for. I've checked boxes in the perferences for Autologging, but I don't know that means obviously...where are the log files?

You can setup a hot key to start sensor logging.
Thanks, I found that feature....I hit the hot key and the app appears to start logging (the green + becomes a red x). However, it doesn't prompt me for where to save the file like it does when I click the start logs button. I don't see a file being created in the directory where HWinfo is...I'm not sure where else to look for it? Where are the logs that are generated by the hot key function stored?

Last edited:
Logs are put into the current directory, which is by default your user directory.
If you run command prompt and type: cd
it should show you what is the current directory.

Humm...sorry to be a bother, but I'm still struggling...here's a screenshot...I don't see anything that looks like a log file, hidden files shown. Note I have HWinfo in my Documents folder, is that a problem? The CSV files you see are ones I created when I clicked the start logs button.

Attachments

• hwinfo-wherelogs..PNG
    hwinfo-wherelogs..PNG
    185.2 KB · Views: 11
Humm...sorry to be a bother, but I'm still struggling...here's a screenshot...I don't see anything that looks like a log file, hidden files shown. Note I have HWinfo in my Documents folder, is that a problem? The CSV files you see are ones I created when I clicked the start logs button.

I FOUND IT! It was in This PC/Windows(c)/Windows/System32. Filename was HWiNFO_LOG_000000000 (zeros were numeric code).

I FOUND IT! It was in This PC/Windows(c)/Windows/System32. Filename was HWiNFO_LOG_000000000 (zeros were numeric code).

So now all I need is to get it to start logging automatically. I have the hot key set up, and HWinfo is opening with Task Scheduler just fine...just need to get it to start making the log without having to go into HWinfo, and hit the hot key. Any suggestion for how to make that happen?

So now all I need is to get it to start logging automatically. I have the hot key set up, and HWinfo is opening with Task Scheduler just fine...just need to get it to start making the log without having to go into HWinfo, and hit the hot key. Any suggestion for how to make that happen?

Spoke too soon...after logging out and having my user sign in, the HW logs were not in System32. I did a search and did not find any new .csv files.

When starting HWiNFO via Task Scheduler, the current directory might be different, but it allows to set the folder where an application is started (Start in (optional)).

I'm re-visiting this months later for another, similar issue....Task Scheduler will open HWinfo, but logs are not being automatically generated. So far the only way to get logs is to open HWinfo manually and hit the hotkey.

Back