Mainboard Sensor defect?

Ramschi

Hello everybody.

I have a problems with my Computer and have been searching for a while for the exact source of the problem. So first I will tell you what is going on.

I noticed that my CPU throttles down everytime it has to do some work. After a while I figured out that it has to be something with the temperature of my PC, although every value I can see looks fine (except one, I will come back to that later). So I tried the tool "ThrottleStop" and turned of "BD Prochot".

What is BD Prochot? 
"[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional prochot. PROCHOT stands for processor hot which is the signal that is activated within the CPU when it reaches approximately 100C to 105C depending on the model number. This signal is what initiates thermal throttling so the CPU can slow down and keep from over heating. Intel included a bi-directional feature so if something else like a GPU is running too hot, it would be able to send a PROCHOT signal directly to the CPU and force it to cool down so the entire laptop cools down. Very few laptops seem to use this type of throttling. This feature was added for the Asus G51. Disabling this will allow your CPU to continue to run at full speed. Disabling this will not prevent your CPU from thermal throttling at its normal Intel set thermal throttle temperature."[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Since I turned this off, the CPU runs just fine. So my motherboard seems to think, that something is too hot and wants to cool down the PC by throttling down the CPU.[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The big question is: Is something really too hot or is it a mistake? And here comes HWiNFO into play.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I took a screenshot in the exact moment my CPU throttles down:[/font]

https://pl.vc/ym6jf

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Every temperature value looks fine except the one I marked. This value can`t be correct. The value jumps between 0 and 120 in seconds. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]So my question is: What does this incorrect value mean? Could it be a mistake made by the HWiNFO tool? Is a sensor on the board broken? Is it possible, that the board thinks it has to throttle down the CPU, because of this broken value?[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Yours Sincerely[/font]

Well, first - from the screenshot you posted I cannot see the CPU to be throttling at all. This would be visible on the Core #n Thermal Throttling status. Did you ever observe this value to be active (="Yes") ? The rest of the values looks completely OK.
Also please note, that CPU thermal throttling occurs only based on the internal CPU thermal status and not due to mainboard sensors (the section where you marked the "CPU" value).
It seems that HWiNFO doesn't properly adjust some sensor values including the section you marked, so the "CPU" temperature is probably not the correct value.
Can you please attach the HWiNFO Debug File, so I can check other details and fix that ?

Sorry, I can not send a debug file at the moment. I am not at home this weekend.

The throttling value never changed to "YES", but the CPU throttles anyway. As you can see in the Screenshot the CPU is running on 16x muliplicator. I should have mentioned that I was running a Prime95 torture test. 

Here is an other screenshot where you can see what happens to the CPU:

https://pl.vc/1f5rwc

The CPU runs at full speed in the beginning an then starts to throttle.

Well, this is really interesting.
I have also checked more about your mainboard and it seems that the "CPU" temperature you marked really shows the CPU Socket (not internal) temperature. You might check this also with ASRock AXTU tool to confirm that it's really the one (but it won't show you the min/max values read, so you'll need to catch the wrong value). If AXTU confirms it, that would mean the sensor indeed behaves like defect.
The CPU is definitively not throttling based its own thermal status, but something else. When I think about this more, then indeed it might be because the mainboard asserts PROCHOT due to the faulty CPU socket sensor. I suggest to contact ASRock about this problem.

Thankyou for your help and your opinion on this topic. I will do as you suggested. Have a nice weekend.

Back