Missing S.M.A.R.T. info

InfoSeeker

I just added a WD MyBook Duo external HDD to replace my backup drive, and I do not see the S.M.A.R.T. info in HWiNFO.
HWiNFO sees the drive and shows activity, but not the S.M.A.R.T. info
Perhaps I have a switch wrong somewhere?

1. SAMSUNG 840 Pro 512GB [MZ-7PD512] - boot drive (SATA III)
2. WD 1.0TB [WD1003FBYZ] - data drive (SATA III)
3. WD MyBook Duo (2x2TB) Ext HDD/RAID 1 [WDBLWE0040JCH-NESN] - backup (USB 3.0)

[attachment=1530]

Attachments

• wdmybookduosmart.jpg
    wdmybookduosmart.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 2
Martin said:
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File so I can check it in more detail.

OK, that appears to have been my bad.

I have that drive encrypted using the included WD encryption, and I must not have had the drive unlocked when I was looking at the sensors.
Today the smart info was there, so I did a bit of sleuthing and found the smart info depends on drive's locked status.
[attachment=1532]

Is there a way to refresh the sensor list to pickup the unlocked drive, or is exit/restart the solution?
Is disk usage available?
[attachment=1533] - debug file with drive locked
[attachment=1534] - debug file with drive unlocked

Attachments

• smart2.jpg
    smart2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 4
  • HWiNFO64_lok1.DBG
    728.7 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO64_lok0.DBG
    668.9 KB · Views: 1
I'm sorry, currently it's not possible to do such a refresh. If you're not using sensor-only mode, then it would be sufficient to close/open the sensors window, but in sensors-only mode you will need to restart HWiNFO.
What do you mean with disk usage, used/free capacity ?

Understood, thank you for reply.

Yes, I was wondering if HWiNFO reported the Used/Free capacity of HDDs.

Martin said:
I'm sorry, currently it's not possible to do such a refresh. If you're not using sensor-only mode, then it would be sufficient to close/open the sensors window, but in sensors-only mode you will need to restart HWiNFO.

I don't think I run Sensor-only mode because I did not select that, and the main window pops along with the sensor window whenever I show HWiNFO. My question is how do I close the sensors window without closing the main window, which is what happens now.

N.B. my apologies for all the questions, but I just migrated to HWiNFO from another program, and I am on the learning curve :(

Edit: I found the procedure, I had 'Minimize Sensors instead of closing' selected. Unchecking that allows me to close the Sensors window without the main window closing and then restarting Sensors. I'm getting there. :)

The sensors window has two buttons to close it - bottom blue x and top x. If you don't use sensor-only mode, then this will either only close the sensors window or minimize the program depending on the settings of "Minimize Sensors instead of closing".

Martin said:
The sensors window has two buttons to close it - bottom blue x and top x. If you don't use sensor-only mode, then this will either only close the sensors window or minimize the program depending on the settings of "Minimize Sensors instead of closing".

Wow, you are fast... you replied just as I discovered the minimize issue I had created. Thank you.

This is just informational - closing the Sensors windows after unlocking the E: drive and then opening it again, does not bring the previously locked drive smart info into the list.

I also tried booting with auto_start HWiNFO, but without opening the Sensors window, waiting until the drive was unlocked and then opening the Sensors window, with no success.

So far it appears the main program must be started, or restarted, after drive unlock to pick up the smart info.

Below are a few debug files i ran - the order of actions is left to right, so lok1_sens1_lok0_sens0_sens1 = cold boot up, drive locked, Sensors window auto loaded, drive unlocked, Sensors window closed, Sensors window opened. In all instances HWiNFO was set to auto-start.
[attachment=1535]
[attachment=1536]
[attachment=1537]
[attachment=1538]

Edit: added debug file with all drives smart info listed.
[attachment=1539]

Attachments

• HWiNFO64_lok1.DBG
    524.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HWiNFO64_lok1_lok0.DBG
    524.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HWiNFO64_lok1_lok0_sens1.DBG
    965.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HWiNFO64_lok1_sens1_lok0_sens0_sens1.DBG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • HWiNFO64_good.DBG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oh, sorry about that, I didn't give you correct information :mad:
Drive detection is performed during HWiNFO startup and sensors pick-up only drives detected during that phase. So it's not sufficient to start sensors new, the whole program needs to be restarted.
My bad and sorry again that I have wasted your time trying to get that running :(

Heh, chasing down little issues can be interesting (I'm retired), so no inconvenience... thank you for all you do with the program, much appreciated.

Back