(New) PC crashes when HWiNFO DDR5 DIMM sensor readings are turned on

Hello,

I recently build my new pc and I got a sudden reboot last week when starting up a game (and possibly had some laggy behaviour in windows before that, unsure). After the reboot I tried again and could play for 2-3 hours without issue.

I wanted to verify if my system was okay so I downloaded OCCT and tried stress testing my CPU. After 15 min, it crashed (black screen and restart). I couldn't figure out why it did for a while. At some point just starting OCCT and leaving it idle would crash my system.

I then decided to download HWiNFO and check using other programs like Prime95. Shortly after starting HWiNFO, my PC rebooted. I saw a thread which mentioned turning off some sensors to test if it was a specific sensor was the issue. So what I did was start HWiNFO and just turn off all sensors and one by one start them again, specifically waiting with RAM related sensors until all others were on except the Network ones and PresentMon.
Turning on the DDR5 DIMM [#1] (P0 CHANNEL A/DIMM 1) caused a reboot within 20 seconds. Another thing I notice is the RAM leds turning off/on when running OCCT and HWiNFO.

Does this mean my RAM is damaged or is it just an issue of sensor reading but no actually damaged part?

Memtest86 gave no errors for either stick (4 passes, free version). But after these reboots it does happen that my system doesn't boot with the motherboard led indicators showing a RAM issue. Resetting CMOS solves this, just rebooting only rarely helps.

Also to note, I can play Baldur's Gate 3 for hours on end without issue. I've only had 2 reboots outside of OCCT and HWiNFO, that first time and another time on windows login screen after a reboot caused by running OCCT.

My setup:
Old:
New:

This is rather some collision between multiple software accessing the DIMM.
Are you running some RGB control software or GIGABYTE ControlCenter together with other tools like OCCT or HWiNFO?

Yes, please try to switch of RGB control and then try HWiNFO and let me know the result.

Okay that's definitely what's been causing the crashes when starting occt and HWiNFO. I've had HWiNFO on for over 10 minutes without issue now

Still unsure what that first crash was about, so I might still have some figuring out to do. Now I might be able to run occt to do so though.

Thank you for helping me!

You're welcome. This problem needs to be solved by GIGABYTE, we're looking into that.

GIGABYTE is asking which version of GIGABYTE Control Center, GIGABYTE Storage Library and GIGABYTE Performance Library are you using.
This should be visible via Control Panel / Installed apps.

and I thought my PC was going to break... I also have the GIGABYTE ControlCenter together with HWinfo and Rainmeter in autostart, and when I booted it up there was a blue screen with the message: clock watchdog timeout.
Of course I went and reinstalled Windows, everything works great. Until I just installed HWinfo, the first reboots started immediately after I clicked on sensors.
I'm just assuming that the rainmeter on the boot accessed the sensors directly and that's why I had a blue screen right away, right?
sorry for the bad english, it was translated with google because my english is not that good
  • Control Center 23.09.28.01
  • Storage Library 23.09.27.03
  • Performance Library 23.09.26.01

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64bit)

Last edited:
GIGABYTE should release a new version of the Control Center (23.0928.02) this week that is expected to fix the problem.
If not, please let us know.

Which version are you using now?
I'm not sure if 23.0928.02 was the version to fix all issues as we found another problem that was fixed just a few days ago. Not sure if that was already released.

FYI, according to GIGABYTE the following versions should fully fix this problem:
MBEasyTune 23.11.06.01
MBStorage 23.10.31.01

Back