Radeon RX 480 GPU Core Current

Swarlos

I'm running hwi_589_3520 on Windows 7 64-Bit. Radeon RX 480 GPU.

I ran a Unigene Valley Benchmark a little while ago and when I was going over my temperatures and power draw I saw something that didn't look right to me, but I'm far from an expert on electrical stuff.

I have a screen shot showing max GPU Core Current at 119.094 A.  If I'm understanding that correctly there was a peak draw of 119 Amps?  I'm hoping a sensor threw out a garbage number somewhere because that doesn't look right to me.

https://pasteboard.co/HGCwDHM.jpg

And yes, I'm running an older system with a Core i5-2500k so the PCIe v2 limitation is correct.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Swarlos,

run the Benchmark again with Logging switched on, but "Polling Period" should be at least 1000ms (otherwise needed ressources for logging are too high, especially during a benchmark):

[attachment=3055]

In the logs it's much easier to check if such a high value was a "spike" (invalid) measurement or not ... e.g. I saw spike values of temperatures underneath "absolute zero point" :D

Attachments

• SensorSettings.jpg
    SensorSettings.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 8
TomWoB said:
Hi Swarlos,

run the Benchmark again with Logging switched on, but "Polling Period" should be at least 1000ms (otherwise needed ressources for logging are too high, especially during a benchmark):

In the logs it's much easier to check if such a high value was a "spike" (invalid) measurement or not ... e.g. I saw spike values of temperatures underneath "absolute zero point" :D

I just opened up the settings to increase the polling period and it's already at 2000ms.

I'll try running it again to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Update:

Ran it again, got similar high max amperage readings.

https://pasteboard.co/HGD2Fpc.jpg

Hi Swarlos, yes this is it!

[attachment=3056]

If you have a look at the "GPU Core Power" (up to 150W) you can see that the 120 ampere make sense by a voltage of 1.1-1.2V, because
Power = Voltage * Current

But these 120 ampere are "internal the graphic card", not from power supply to graphic card (which is powered by 12V). Hmmm ... your 12V drop down is a little bit high 12.20 -> 11.83 V ... thin cables ?

Attachments

• Benchmark.jpg
    Benchmark.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 14
TomWoB said:
Hi Swarlos, yes this is it!

If you have a look at the "GPU Core Power" (up to 150W) you can see that the 120 ampere make sense by a voltage of 1.1-1.2V, because
Power = Voltage * Current

But these 120 ampere are "internal the graphic card", not from power supply to graphic card (which is powered by 12V). Hmmm ... your 12V drop down is a little bit high 12.20 -> 11.83 V ... thin cables ?

By the 12V you mean the 8-pin PCI Express cable from the PSU?  I'm using the cable that came with PSU when I bought it a little over 6 years ago.  OCZ600MXSP
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

Thanks for your help, I thought the 120 amps were going through 12V, not 1.1-1.2V. That makes me feel a lot better.

119 Amps is well possible on those GPUs, so I believe it's an accurate value. >100 Amps on higher performance GPUs is no problem.

I think the 12V are measured on the motherboard, so it's more the 24-pin cable to the motherboard. But ... I think it's not a "cable issue", it's more that your power supply voltages goes "a little bit too much down under pressure". Btw ... your needed power "is not so high", 150W for a graphic card is "mid-range", my GTX 1080 Ti takes 280W and more, but my Seasonic power supply goes only down from 12.19 - 12.10V.

Anyway ... if your system is running stable ... everything seems to be fine :D

Back