Ridiculously high cpu clock/bus values

angras

I want to use bus-clock based with periodic polling so I can tell when my turbo boost is actually working and get accurate values. However, with this enabled, occasionally the program detects super high/low clock, and bus values. when I open XTU it almost always spikes, adn it just decides to do it randomly when I open a program. With bus-clock based turned off I have no issues, but the value never changes , so I have no clue if my turbo boost is actually working. I've attempted with periodic polling turned off, but bus clock on, as well ass enabling/disabling HPET, and I still have the same issue.

hw.png
alternatively I suppose my cpu just wanted to break a world record lol

Turbo Boost doesn't change the Bus Clock (BCLK), so you can go ahead without periodic polling. You didn't even specify which CPU you have but measuring BCLK on some systems can result in such invalid values especially during high system load.

Turbo Boost doesn't change the Bus Clock (BCLK), so you can go ahead without periodic polling. You didn't even specify which CPU you have but measuring BCLK on some systems can result in such invalid values especially during high system load.
I have an i7 9800x, I would've attached a log and debug file, but it said the files were too large for the server to process. last time I tried it without periodic polling I still had the same issue. It's just hard to replicate it because it happens randomly over time, like if im playing a game, it might happen after 5 minutes, or 30 minutes, I'm assuming thats why the log files are too big because I cant replicate it instantly, it just affects my max values and since I dont want to use the resources to log values while I'm gaming, I cant tell what the actual max is. This also happens to me randomly whenever I turn off periodic polling strangely enough
Screenshot 2020-09-24 030129.png

Last edited:
It is reassuring that other people have seen the same odd behaviour.
I've noticed this over many months and never found a pattern for when it occurs.
It is happening today on all cores on a non-overclocked 10940X in an ASRock Taichi x299 Motherboard. (up to 22GHz no less!). Not using XTU.
It is happening with HWMonitor PRO as well but it looks like the actual values are different.
Values appear to be cumulative; pointing to a possible software issue.
I've just seen core 6 increase from 9579MHz to 12009 in HWMonitor Pro but no change in that core for HWInfo64 (9006.2MHz).
Perhaps the spikes occur when the processor throttles up and down. I'm thinking a temporary synchronisation issue.

Back