SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon™ RX Vega56 8G HBM2 Wrong FAN RPM

[font=arial,sans-serif]On sreenshot:[/font]
[font=arial,sans-serif]Black arrows start the fans[/font]
[font=arial,sans-serif]Blue arrows fans turned off[/font]
[font=arial,sans-serif]The red arrow is abnormally high, the fans are off (I think such high rpm, above 1700 should also be ignored)[/font]

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 4
  • HWiNFO64.zip
    240.8 KB · Views: 1
Hm, that looks like ~1800 RPM also indicates off.. That's not good, no single/simple level that would provide an accurate indication.

This is madness...
I made many attempts to trace the dependence of the FAN RPM sensor and the start / stop of the fans.
after stopping the fan, the sensor sometimes shows high value it is (1715 rpm), but it can show a value between 1350 ... 1700 rpm
So either wait for the fix in the AMD or VGA BIOS drivers, or apply a more complicated algorithm for calculating the fan stop.

I noticed that when the fan is off, the rpm values are always the same (for example 1361, 1361, 1361 ... etc.)
And when they spin, they jump at least 1. (for example 1451, 1450, 1451, 1452 ... etc.)

Also it turns out it is necessary to compare last (three or four) values of rpm, and if they are equal that this value to consider "0" yet will not change.
I hope I could explain with my bad english.

Attachments

• 555.png
    555.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 6
  • HWiNFO64.zip
    290.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the extensive testing, I understand it very well.
Are you sure that when the fan is spinning the reported speed is not constant?

Yes, I played for several hours in different games, the values for a spinning fan slightly change (maximum I saw three identical values when the fan was spinning, ex. 1430, 1421, 1421, 1421, 1402, 1416)
For more reliability, I can activate the log in HWiNFO and send the result to you. With marks when fans were switched on and off.

Today is a cold morning And the fans rotated at a low speed from 600 to 1300 rpm.

Attachments

• 741.JPG
    741.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 2
  • HWiNFO64.zip
    261.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the results.
Please try this build and let me know how it works: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_583_3415.zip
HWiNFO should now report 0 RPM if the last 4 fan speed samples were same. This change will work for Sapphire Vega GPUs only to avoid false reporting on other GPUs.

It works :)
A little later, I will spend more tests in games.
But it seems to me that this is the best solution, until AMD or Sapphire fix it in the driver or BIOS, if they fix it.

Good news to everyone
AMD in the new drivers (18.4.1) fixed fan monitoring on Vega.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the feedback. Does it mean that the patch I implemented is no longer needed ?

Sorry for the long silence, there were holidays :)

Strange, does not work
But MSI Afterburner and AMD drivers began to show 0 RPM when the fans are off

Oh. Sorry, I hurried.

Yes, he appeared. And it works well.

Attachments

• 44444.JPG
    44444.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the feedback. Not appearing of the fan after startup when the fan is not spinning will be fixed in the next build.

[font=arial,sans-serif]It's me again :)[/font]
[font=arial,sans-serif]Probably a little offtopic.[/font]
[font=arial,sans-serif]I noticed that the VRM temperature sensors are disappearing[/font]

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 2
Back