Small layout glitch?

franz

Hi,

Since I updated to the latest version of HWiNFO (v6.32-4270), it appears there's a small layout glitch: the 5th column has a scollbar where I would expect the last item (a section header) to be moved to the next column since there's space available:

1601543512239.png

I've tried various things to reset the order, etc. but to no avail. My settings:

1601543654073.png

Best,
Franz

Happened to me sometimes with previous versions. Hitting the "maximize" button in upper right corner fixed it.
I see now its 2 squares stacked. Hit it to become 1 and see what happens.

By the way, that is a very interesting setup you're running there! What Gigabyte(?) board is that?

EDIT:
Never mind...
Aorus Extreme it is. Found an older thread.

Last edited:
Hi Zach,

Thanks for chiming in. I tried hitting Maximize twice but that didn't fix it.

Regarding the setup:

Yes, it's a cool machine :) The motherboard is a GIGABYTE TRX40 Aorus Xtreme, the CPU is an AMD Threadripper 3970X (32 cores, 64 threads) and the GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition.

I built it early this year, and it initially didn't go too well. I spent a considerable amount of time stress-testing the system (hence the rather elaborate HWiNFO setup!) to try to figure out why and how it was failing some specific Prime95 runs. The result was this post on LevelOneTechs forum followed by a long, multi-months investigation together with AMD engineers, then a brief detour by the 3990X that AMD graciously offered (which I ended up selling) before going back to the 3970X which, in my opinion, is a superior all around CPU.

The TRX40 platform is incredibly performant and forward thinking, but it's also very new and back in December/January we definitely felt the early adopters pain.

I ended up switching to a custom BIOS version provided by AMD which fixed the problem completely, at least for me. No official BIOS version by GIGABYTE would do the trick. That said I just realized today that they had released a new version so I may try it at some point.

Nowadays all is well, the machine is running 24/7 and is rock solid, but every reboot (about once a month, for one reason or another) is a fairly stressful experience as half of the time the XMP profile will not work :) Ah, computers...

Franz

Try close HWiNFO and start it again maybe.

Yeah awesome machine!
CPU cooler?

Have you tried running manual settings for the DRAM and ditch the XMP profile? ZEN 3000 (both PC and HEDT platforms) had a lot of issues with some XMP profiles and manual setting was the only path for stability, let alone DRAM OC.
Also, depending your usage you could gain some performance by trying to increase DRAM speed past that 1733 (UMC and IF also). Tighter timings too could benefit latency and prformance.

This is my "humble" 3600 (but serves my usage pretty well) running over 13 months now. I will upgrade at some point (at least 1 year from now) to a ZEN3 12~16Core

1601557502265.png

Try close HWiNFO and start it again maybe.

Tried, no luck. I think this is just a minor bug of HWiNFO, and I suspect it has to do with the last item of that column being a section header. My developer intuition :)

CPU cooler?

It's a Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3.

Have you tried running manual settings for the DRAM and ditch the XMP profile? ZEN 3000 (both PC and HEDT platforms) had a lot of issues with some XMP profiles and manual setting was the only path for stability, let alone DRAM OC.

I was about to do that when the machine suddenly booted fine with XMP enabled so for now I'm good.

Also, depending your usage you could gain some performance by trying to increase DRAM speed past that 1733 (UMC and IF also). Tighter timings too could benefit latency and prformance.

I guess I could but I value stability a lot more than incremental performance gains at this point.

This is my "humble" 3600 (but serves my usage pretty well) running over 13 months now. I will upgrade at some point (at least 1 year from now) to a ZEN3 12~16Core

Nice!

I'm also looking forward to Zen 3, if only out of curiosity.

Franz

Tried, no luck. I think this is just a minor bug of HWiNFO, and I suspect it has to do with the last item of that column being a section header. My developer intuition :)

Yup, your intuition seems to be right :)

Now that you're saying that must be it yes. My layout was like that on the 3rd one but after darkmode this has changed because of the first bar (sensors, curr, min, max, avg) got smaller.

Absolute max temp under 100% load? 90+C?
Any consideration for water/AIO cooler? I'm using one 280mm AIO but had it already from previous setup (FX8370 oced to 4.6GHz, ~200W). ZEN2 is pretty temp sensitive, cutting boost over 50C all the way up to 95C, the throttling point. Mostly on all core workloads.
My max temp is 60~62C (22~23C ambient, no case) with low/medium speed for pump/fans but I do not compare a ~90W to a ~280W CPU of course...

I was about to do that when the machine suddenly booted fine with XMP enabled so for now I'm good.
I guess I could but I value stability a lot more than incremental performance gains at this point.
I understand so far, you had more than a fair share of issues and I imagine restarts and clear CMOS's... But I'm against instabilities also.
I had my share of those restarts, cold boot issues, clear CMOS, BIOS flashbacks/BIOS upgrades my self, only trying to run MEMCLK/UCLK/FCLK at 1900MHz, but no luck. I could let it at 1866~1900MHz with maybe some rare random crashes/and restarts but wasnt worth it.
Cold boot issues gone after maybe 10+ BIOS versions (I may have tried like 25~30, beta and final).
So, my ram is rated (XMP) 1733MHz, 1.35V 16-18-18-18-36-54 1T, 606trfc etc... and had a latency score (AIDA64) of 73ns for memory.

1601561993223.png

As you can see now I'm running them XMP off, 1833MHz, 1.44V 16-17-17-17-51 1T, 416trfc (and a few other secondary timings) and dropped to 67ns. Bandwidth also increased by 5~10%. My most heavy usage is gaming and that gave me some FPS. Not that I needed a <5% more FPS but I like exploring things.
I also mess around with PBO settings (a LOT), had some gains but... Conclusion: On a 6core 3600 is a moot point. On a 32core on the other hand could be something entirely different. Low temp is the most valuable key though. Otherwise any PBO settings and gains will be diminished or gone completely.
I dont know your usage, other than gaming obviously...

I'm also looking forward to Zen 3, if only out of curiosity.
Yes, so far ZEN3 is looking impressive from what we "know"...

Back