Supermicro X10DAx compatibility

leutrel

Hi!

I'm using HWInfo on my computers since a while now, and I'm planning to use it on a new workstation as well. It is a dual Xeon workstation with a Supermicro X10DAx Mobo, an NVIDIA GPU and a Corsair HX750i PSU. Recently I have experienced some weird things, and I'm wondering if the program should be theoretically compatible with the setup?

Thanks!

Yes, there's no reason why it should not be compatible.
If there are any issues, just report them and I'll look into that, so wondering what weird things have you experienced.

Martin said:
Yes, there's no reason why it should not be compatible.
If there are any issues, just report them and I'll look into that, so wondering what weird things have you experienced.

As I have mentioned, and the first time I have installed, everything was fine. Later I have turned off hyperthreading, as my particular application does not benefit anything from it, and thats were the things got tricky. I configure HWInfo usually to start at the system start, minimized on the tray, showing the CPU Package temperature, memory usage, CPU utilization and GPU temperature. In this system I have to CPUs, one have disappeared. However, if I start the program with the main window, and from that start the sensors, everything is ok.

The other thing is, that sometimes some under the  Nuvoton NCT7904D not existing fans show up, like Fan 11, altough the system has eight headers, and report crazy rpms, like 46000rpm. The system voltages are reported at the same space, and it was also strange that a few times at the +12V much bigger values (like 27) were reported and the same happend once for the CPU VCore, which for this board is the VCCin, I gues, as there in spite of the normal 1.8V once ~4V was reported.
A bit scarry for me, as the PC is used remotely, so I can't smell, if the reason is a faulty VRM or just missreading.

Otherwise it is a really great program, I'm using it on different computers, and it is working perfectly on the others.

I think there's some glitch in the HWiNFO configuration and you're either using a custom order of items, or have disabled the Fixed Order option.
To fix this, you might try to go into Sensor settings, Layout tab and from there either enable "Fixed Order" or click the "Restore Original Order" button depending on your preferences. Note, that if you're using a custom order of items, after performing the mentioned actions you might need to setup the custom order again as it will be reset to default.

Martin said:
I think there's some glitch in the HWiNFO configuration and you're either using a custom order of items, or have disabled the Fixed Order option.
To fix this, you might try to go into Sensor settings, Layout tab and from there either enable "Fixed Order" or click the "Restore Original Order" button depending on your preferences. Note, that if you're using a custom order of items, after performing the mentioned actions you might need to setup the custom order again as it will be reset to default.
I haven't, I have only hidden some entries.

Nevertheless, I'd still recommend to perform the above mentioned actions, as I believe it might fix the odd behavior.

Martin said:
Nevertheless, I'd still recommend to perform the above mentioned actions, as I believe it might fix the odd behavior.

Alright. I'll try it. If it does not fix it, what should I attach here?

A screenshot (or two) of the erratic order of items and the HWiNFO Debug File would be helpful too.

[attachment=2036]
Martin said:
A screenshot (or two) of the erratic order of items and the HWiNFO Debug File would be helpful too.

I tried your solution, but either I did something the wrong way or it is not working. I installed the latest version and created to screenshots and 2 debug files and one report. The screenshot "Settings" explains the problem (I wrote on it in paint).
In addition to that, there is another interesting thing, than fan speeds are sometimes lower than the expected. (For instance fan named "Top_Middle" in reality spins with ~1000rpm, but the reported value is ~440.)

Attachments

• Normal.png
    Normal.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Faulty.png
    Faulty.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Settings.png
    Settings.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 4
  • HWInfo_Debug.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Faulty_Fan_Speeds.png
    Faulty_Fan_Speeds.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
Martin said:
Thank you for the data, it shows me that there indeed seems to be a problem in HWiNFO.
Please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_539_3005.zip
and let me know if it fixes the problem. If not, please attach a new Debug File and I'll check further.
It seems the problem 1 is solved, but the fan speeds are still lower, which is interesting, as usually it shows the right fan speeds.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64_FanSpeed.DBG.7z
    62 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, but what exactly means "usually it shows the right fan speeds" ? Does it sometimes show the correct speed and sometimes not ? Does changing the settings (i.e. Sensor-only mode) have an impact on this ? Are you able to confirm with another tool that there's a difference ?

[attachment=2040]
Martin said:
Thanks, but what exactly means "usually it shows the right fan speeds" ? Does it sometimes show the correct speed and sometimes not ? Does changing the settings (i.e. Sensor-only mode) have an impact on this ? Are you able to confirm with another tool that there's a difference ?
I have experienced this first when Superdoctor 5 and HWInfo was running together, but it seemed to be reasonable, as I have experienced similar things with Corsair Link. Both programs show fan speeds as well. Now the two other programs are not running (at least When I start the system, it show right fan speeds usually, 1040rpm for one of the fans, which is a 2000rpm pwm fan, and the bios controlled fan speed should be at 30%, so it seem reasonable. But sometimes it changes to 440rpm, and the other fan speeds at the same time, apparently proportionally. See the picture attached now and previously.

Attachments

• Right_Fan_Speeds.png
    Right_Fan_Speeds.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
Well, this is really interesting. When I calculate the proportion of average values in both screenshots, I get a factor of 2.33 difference for all of them.
That doesn't look like some coincidence, rather something that might be affecting fan control or reporting.
Is it possible that something in the system reconfigures the fans and from that moment all values shown are 2.33 times less ?

Martin said:
Well, this is really interesting. When I calculate the proportion of average values in both screenshots, I get a factor of 2.33 difference for all of them.
That doesn't look like some coincidence, rather something that might be affecting fan control or reporting.
Is it possible that something in the system reconfigures the fans and from that moment all values shown are 2.33 times less ?
To be honest, I don't know. I have relatively few programs on this computer, and the mentioned to other monitoring softwares are turned of.

Well, I don't know what to do, since HWiNFO takes the straight fan tachometer count from the hardware monitor and doesn't perform any tricks that could cause problems.
If running another tool (alone) shows the same behavior, then I think the problem is somewhere else...

Martin said:
Well, I don't know what to do, since HWiNFO takes the straight fan tachometer count from the hardware monitor and doesn't perform any tricks that could cause problems.
If running another tool (alone) shows the same behavior, then I think the problem is somewhere else...

OK. I'll keep watching it and write if anything changes. It has not done it since this new build was installed (only right after the installation, I have not restarted it).

Back