Understanding T1 & Auxiliary Temperatures in HWInfo 64?

JCLDJB

Hi all, first time posting here, so if I forgot any relevant information, please let me know.

I have and am using HWInfo64, (before latest version, can confirm this tonight), running on Windows 7.
I have AMD's A8-7650K with MSI's A68HM-E33 V2 motherboard & Crucial's 16Gb (2x8Gb) 1600Mhz RAM.
Turbo mode on with RAM overclocked to 1866Mhz (no voltage change).

I am trying to understand the temperatures sensors on the board.

Now I know AMD's CPUs/APUs are not read accurately, so I generally ignore CPU Package & stick to Thermal Margins in AMD OverDrive, including CPU Temps in MSI's Command Center.

It is the following 3 sensors I am trying to understand from HWInfo64:
T1 - 33C Idle
Auxiliary - 34C Idle
Motherboard - 24C Idle

Now the Motherboard sensor is very accurate to my MSI BIOS settings (it shows Motherboard at around 24C in the BIOS, with CPU Temps ate 35C-40C) so this is fine.

The motherboard temperatures never change under load/gaming/idle.

But the other 2 shoot up to abut 40C (T1 & Auxiliary)

I've also noticed under stress testing with Prime95, after about 20mins that these 2 shoot up even further:
T1 - 45C
Auxiliary - 61C and climbing slowly higher.

The test I did was the torture test/mixed test (lots of RAM used) in Prime95.

I know it's difficult to tell which sensor applies to which and I should probably take it with a pinch of salt, having read many people on this website (& others) say the readings don't amount to anything/are not accurate; however it really seems to be in synch with the current load/usage.

Is the Auxiliary my VRM temps (which are not heatsinked but actively cooled with fan? Or maybe the RAM temp sensors?

I suppose the way to find out will be to do the Prime95 test that does CPU only with no RAM tested & see if both/only 1 shoots up instead, using deductive reasoning, but in case that gives me a similar reading I will be unable to determine the source.

I thought I'd ask you guys at least, if anyone with this particular board, or similar readings, was able to determine the meanings of T1 & Auxiliary?
Also is it worth getting Speedfan, will it be more accurate than HWInfo for board reading temps?

Eagerly awaiting your replies in hope that you can assist (while I wait to order VRM heatsinks to do a direct comparison).
I have also tried to actively cool the VRMs using a portable/mini-fan, placing it closer than my permanent actively-cooled solution, but there was no real difference in temps for anything to be conclusive.

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can help!

Cheers

Jo

PS: should you require images/screenshots, I could provide them eventually, please just ask.

I believe the problem is that HWiNFO lacks dedicated support for sensors on your mainboard.
Could you please run side-by-side with MSI Command Center tool and post a screenshot of both tools showing values in idle and under load ?
That will tell you which sensor in HWiNFO is the CPU (external/socket) temperature and I can also adjust HWiNFO to show correct values.
It would also be helpful if you could attach the HWiNFO Debug File.

Martin said:
I believe the problem is that HWiNFO lacks dedicated support for sensors on your mainboard.
Could you please run side-by-side with MSI Command Center tool and post a screenshot of both tools showing values in idle and under load ?
That will tell you which sensor in HWiNFO is the CPU (external/socket) temperature and I can also adjust HWiNFO to show correct values.
It would also be helpful if you could attach the HWiNFO Debug File.

Hi Martin,
Firstly, thank you for your reply.
I will carry out the tests, as requested, with screenshots & the HWiNFO Debug File and get back to you shortly.
Idle + under load.
Thanks again.
Jo

Back