What does the HTC in thermal throttling htc mean?

HTC stands for Hardware Thermal Control. If it reports "Yes", it means the CPU is overheating.

Did you ever find anything out on this? I have just experience the same issue where it says my HTC and PROCHOT EXT (not even sure what the latter is) thermal throttled though my maximum CPU temp was 70.4C

Did you ever find anything out on this? I have just experience the same issue where it says my HTC and PROCHOT EXT (not even sure what the latter is) thermal throttled though my maximum CPU temp was 70.4C
Unfortunately I never found out what was going on. It never happened again. I did upgrade to the latest BIOS. The BIOS on my Rog Strix B450-F Gaming was a few years old. I cleaned my case (almost no dust). My max temp for 2 years has been 67C at 100% utilization. Now it is 71C. I'm running a 2700X with Noctua NH-U9DX / 2 fan config. A masterbox 5 lite with the front panel removed with 3 fans in the front covered in mesh.

I am going to treat this as an anomaly until it happens again.
HWINFOss.JPG

Most probably it was some glitch in the LPC/SIO causing it to malfunction and issue the PROCHOT signal. Those chips on ASUS 3xx/4xx series were prone to various issues.

@Martin
This happened to me twice now. I got a red yes on Thermal Throttling (HTC). I am using official HWInfo64 version, no beta. Temp is under 95c in CPU(tctl/tdie), cpu die(average), and cpu ccd1(tdie). First one happened to me somewhere in Oct or Nov and now today Jan 1 by the time I post this.

Can you confirm this is a bug? My temp and voltage is in check. No manual oc at all.

@ragnarz @razer This happened to me twice now. Is it a bug? My temp and vcore are in check.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why Thermal Throttling is asserted on some systems when all temperatures are OK. On some systems this seemed to be caused by external agents like the SIO/LPC chip, which most probably did this because the chip's logic reached some invalid state. Perhaps a BIOS update might fix this.

2 times my CPU has trigger first and third line of thermal throttling in sensors mode. Both times the system was idle for over 6-8 hours. I don’t know if this make any sense.

3600 + aorus pro X570 with latest all, UEFI, chipset, windows. the 2 times was with different UEFI version but both latest AGESA.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why Thermal Throttling is asserted on some systems when all temperatures are OK. On some systems this seemed to be caused by external agents like the SIO/LPC chip, which most probably did this because the chip's logic reached some invalid state. Perhaps a BIOS update might fix this.
@Martin Everything is fine but still see thermal throttling on htc this week while playing BF5. 3700x clockspeed is still around 4.2ghz. AMD 1.0.0.4b bios is still buggy atm so I am on the last 1.0.0.3 until 1.0.0.4 is stable enough for me to update bios.

@Zach I got this 3 times now.
HWiNFO64_QXrvxZ5jfk.png

I am seeing the same thing, where none of my temps are anywhere near throttle range on a 3900x and a Rog Strix X570-E

I am seeing this htc thermal throttling while playing planetside 2 game. Temp is under 95c and cpu clock speed is still at 4.2ish ghz.

Weirdly, just had the same problem in March of 2023 @Martin
Unclear to me what is the cause - hardware or software.

I am running the HWinfo 7.40-5000.
Ryzen 5 5800x was limited to 1.3vcore (LLC values were not touched), the CPU is running PBO. It's cooled by an MSI AIO K240 (Asetek made, with a VRM fan), so the temps are well below throttling as een attached.
2x16Gb Gskill in XMP 3600cl16-16-36.
MSi mobo (so, no, it's not Asus)
[EDIT: PSU Corsair RMx850]
Win11
Noticed that after playing 4-5 rounds of titanfall2 :)

Attachments

• Ryzen 5800 Thermal Throttling Hardware bug or HWinfo bug.jpg
    Ryzen 5800 Thermal Throttling Hardware bug or HWinfo bug.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back