Which Temprature to read?

Mohit

Hey, I have this Alienware laptop 17 R4. I ran BurnInTest V9.0 Pro in it and checked the temperatures in HWinFO64 v5.72-3333. After running for ten mins It shows following temperatures :

Core 0
1) Max: 92 C 
2) Average: 87 C

Core 1
1) Max: 89 C 
2) Average: 87 C

Core 2
1) Max: 96 C
2) average : 88 C 

Core 3
1) Max: 87
2) Average: 84

I was worried because it shows the Junction Temperature is 100 C, so I have 2 questions:
1) Which Temperature should I look at, the average or the maximum?
2) I called the customer care of Alienware, and they said the computer is still running at a safe temperature. Is 88C a safe temperature for i7 7700HQ?

The temperatures are very high including the averages, not ideal. I think though it could likely be because it is a laptop chip with less effective cooling than a desktop cooler, and if BurnInTest V9.0 is at all similar to Intel BurnInTest that test can be highly punishing on the CPU. Can you run something a little more mild like Intel XTU stress test and report those temps?

The results for intel stress test are :

Core 0 : Average : 79, Max - 90

Core 1 : Average : 78, Max - 88

Core 2 : Average : 76, Max -84

Core 3: Average : 77, Max - 82

Kol12 said:
The temperatures are very high including the averages, not ideal. I think though it could likely be because it is a laptop chip with less effective cooling than a desktop cooler, and if BurnInTest V9.0 is at all similar to Intel BurnInTest that test can be highly punishing on the CPU. Can you run something a little more mild like Intel XTU stress test and report those temps?

The results for intel stress test are :

Core 0 : Average : 79, Max - 90

Core 1 : Average : 78, Max - 88

Core 2 : Average : 76, Max -84

Core 3: Average : 77, Max - 82

Back