Wrong CPU Package Power reading when overclocking I7-6800K

Smackrat

Greetings,

I'm currently having a look at a platform of mine, that would be a gigabyte x99p-sli (bios F25b) coupled with an I7-6800K.
All looked well, save for a reading i noticed while i was scrolling through HWinfo sensors.
It seems that when the CPU is used on stock settings and therefore not overclocked, cpu package power readings appear as correct; meanwhile any kind of overclocking (be that through turbo boost or base clock) results in the sensor mentioned above to give a strangely low reading.
I did try to troubleshoot and do some research, i read about a setting in the bios that allows you to disable or enable "SVID support", however it looks to be present only on asus boards (do correct me if i'm wrong, as i haven't found anything on my gigabyte).
In conclusion, i observed that the CPU does in fact clock at the asked speed, and the temperature does increase when changing VCORE voltage (note that i have applied a fix to my windows build that disables a microcode update that effectively bricked completely overclocking on broadwell-e, i did test if that was the issue but it looks to not matter if it's enabled or not, behaviour remains the same).
I will attach screenshots to the thread, thanks in advance for the support (screenshots with low package power are recorded on a 4.2 ghz overclock and 1.2 volts, normal package power is on stock with turbo boost on all cores at 3.8 Ghz roughly 1.17 volts).

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    81.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    58.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    17.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    58.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    83.5 KB · Views: 3
SVID Support plays indeed a crucial role in measuring CPU power consumption. When this is disabled the CPU has no way how to determine the actual power consumption.
Since your BIOS doesn't offer this option and you're not sure whether it's perhaps automatically disabled (even though it's recommended to disable it only when using a high BCLK, i.e. >150 MHz) by BIOS when overclocking, check in the main HWiNFO window. That will display the actual "SVID Status:" under the CPU node. Note that if you're using the Sensor-only mode, you'll need to disable it in order to get the main window shown.

SVID Support plays indeed a crucial role in measuring CPU power consumption. When this is disabled the CPU has no way how to determine the actual power consumption.
Since your BIOS doesn't offer this option and you're not sure whether it's perhaps automatically disabled (even though it's recommended to disable it only when using a high BCLK, i.e. >150 MHz) by BIOS when overclocking, check in the main HWiNFO window. That will display the actual "SVID Status:" under the CPU node. Note that if you're using the Sensor-only mode, you'll need to disable it in order to get the main window shown.
Thanks for the reply, i checked in the main window as told for "SVID Status" under the CPU section, but i didn't seem to find anything unfortunately.
It could be i'm looking at the wrong section of the program, thus i'll attach another screenshot to be safe.
Even when and if we find out that the SVID support is indeed disabled during overclocking, would there be a way to enable it considering the absence of such control through bios?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 7.PNG
    7.PNG
    74.5 KB · Views: 6
You'll need to scroll down further to see the SVID Status. But if it's disabled I don't think that anything except the BIOS can enable it.

Sorry, I just realized that determining the actual SVID status is not supported on your CPU. I'm afraid we probably won't be able to know the actual status unless the BIOS tells this somehow.

Sorry, I just realized that determining the actual SVID status is not supported on your CPU. I'm afraid we probably won't be able to know the actual status unless the BIOS tells this somehow.
Understood, thanks for the info.
Although i find it weird that this platform features this kind of problem, never encountered anything of the sort.
I'm assuming that in case the bios doesn't give a choice regarding having it enabled or disabled we would be out of options; do let me know if you have any ideas, thanks in advance.

EDIT: checked mobo manual, SVID isn't present as a word; either the setting is identified differently on gigabyte or it's simply not included.

Back