XFX-mobo places unbelievable temperatures

kattegadd

:(
I hope I will find advice and help here!

Recently I have noticed the temperature on my xfx-mobo reaching up to 92° celsius!!
the tools name is Speccy see its attachment please.
Now Speccy is a pretty little thing but certainly MUST be wrong.
Funny thing is: after I have started the desktop and run Speccy within the first 20 seconds it shows again that temperature which I think must be false. How can a desktop reach such a temp within 20 seconds after switch on?? I wish I had such a cooking stove!

So I have used HWINFO 32 and it also shows such a degree but different, please see attach HardWareMoni.

Right this moment I am more than worried.

Meantime I had to realise that the firm XFX still does exist but it is not selling anymore motherboards! Even support has ended totally.

Please help me!

Attachments

• Speccy 92.JPG
    Speccy 92.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 5
  • HardWareMoni.JPG
    HardWareMoni.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 9
Since I'm not the author of Speccy, nor Hardware Monitor, I can't speak of those tools.
It's highly possible that the temperature value of concern is not valid. It's a common practice, that sensor chips have multiple temperature inputs, but not all of them are really utilized. Such inputs which are not connected on a particular mainboard can show all sorts of invalid values (even 200 °C). So each mainboard requires customization in monitoring tools to avoid such erratic values.
Not even HWiNFO has such adjustment for your mainboard model. I can do this if you give me more information - I need the HWiNFO Report File and HWiNFO Debug File with sensor data. Additionally, I need you to look into the BIOS System Health screen and make a photo of sensor values reported (or write them down) and post here.

Martin said:
Since I'm not the author of Speccy, nor Hardware Monitor, I can't speak of those tools.
It's highly possible that the temperature value of concern is not valid. It's a common practice, that sensor chips have multiple temperature inputs, but not all of them are really utilized. Such inputs which are not connected on a particular mainboard can show all sorts of invalid values (even 200 °C). So each mainboard requires customization in monitoring tools to avoid such erratic values.
Not even HWiNFO has such adjustment for your mainboard model. I can do this if you give me more information - I need the HWiNFO Report File and HWiNFO Debug File with sensor data. Additionally, I need you to look into the BIOS System Health screen and make a photo of sensor values reported (or write them down) and post here.
Thanks very much for your reply Martin!
I know you aren`t the author of those other tools. I thought I just add those for comparism.
I can only HOPE the shown temp-figure is a joke!

If you would take the burden and fix a proper working file for my tool I would be happy!
Whereabouts do I have to go to create a REPORT-and a DEBUG-File? Sorry but I dunno where?!

A foto from Bios-Health will be no problem.

Thanks again! Hope to hera from you again.

All ran well except the debug-file turned off the pc but as you have forseen.

Foto from bios health is also there

Attachments

• HWiNFO32.DBG
    370 KB · Views: 4
  • bios health.JPG
    bios health.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 8
Thanks. It seems that your BIOS doesn't display such high temperature either.
Since the Debug File was not successfully created, could you please attach the HWiNFO Report File with sensor data, or a screenshot of the sensors window showing all values? Then I can check how to perform sensor adjustments for your board..

It seems that your BIOS doesn't display such high temperature either.
Thank heavens!

This time I hope the right figures are here

Attachments

• sensor 1.JPG
    sensor 1.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 12
  • sensor 2.JPG
    sensor 2.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 8
  • sensor 3.JPG
    sensor 3.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks. It seems I'm able to adjust some of the sensor values for your mainboard, but not all of them (can't find a proper equation).
I believe the high temperature reported might be either completely invalid, but I think there's a small chance that it might represent the CPU Voltage Regulator temperature - such parts usually run at higher temperatures, though >90 C is pretty high. You might prove this by trying to identify the VR on your mainboard (it should be placed around the CPU) and might have a heatsink installed on it. If you have a spare fan, you could try to blow some air at it and watch if this temperature decreases. If that temperature decreases when doing that, it might well represent the VR actual temperature.

Martin said:
Thanks. It seems I'm able to adjust some of the sensor values for your mainboard, but not all of them (can't find a proper equation).

What ever you fix I`ll try it! Thanks a lot Martin

Martin said:
I believe the high temperature reported might be either completely invalid, but I think there's a small chance that it might represent the CPU Voltage Regulator temperature - such parts usually run at higher temperatures, though >90 C is pretty high.
Would be my greatest wish it being invalid! :blush:

Martin said:
You might prove this by trying to identify the VR on your mainboard (it should be placed around the CPU) and might have a heatsink installed on it.
This might take a while cos I have to get the bugger onto the table.

Martin said:
If you have a spare fan, you could try to blow some air at it and watch if this temperature decreases. If that temperature decreases when doing that, it might well represent the VR actual temperature.

I don`t think I have a chance to permanently fix a fan nearby the "Voltage Regulator", there is just nowhere to tighten the fan safely.
Somehow I will go on trying and will see if the temp decreases.

So far thanks ever so much Martin!
:)

kattegadd said:
I don`t think I have a chance to permanently fix a fan nearby the "Voltage Regulator", there is just nowhere to tighten the fan safely.
Somehow I will go on trying and will see if the temp decreases.

There's no need to mount the fan permanently, just watch if you blow air at the VR if the temperature reported changes accordingly. Ideal would be to use a remote thermometer and check the components...
If it doesn't react accordingly and you don't think there's another place on the mainboard where such high temperature could be measured, then I'd suggest to ignore it completely.

Even though the BIOS doesn't report that temperature, I think there's a small chance that it's valid and has a real source somewhere on the mainboard. Unfortunately most of the mainboard vendors don't tell exactly where which sensor's diode is really connected, so it's often an investigative job to find this out :)

I for example had recent experience with an ASRock X79 mobo. It has a small heatsink on the VRs (without a fan) and I noticed that when running heavy CPU tasks the VR temperature raised way above 90 C. The point is, that this board's BIOS doesn't report the VR temperature at all. Luckily HWiNFO supports the Digital PWM (VR) monitoring, so I was able to notice this. When I installed a fan near this VR, the temperature dropped by 15 C...

Martin said:
There's no need to mount the fan permanently, just watch if you blow air at the VR if the temperature reported changes accordingly. Ideal would be to use a remote thermometer and check the components...
No thermometer in this household.
But I will keep an eye on that damn SPECCY to see if it`s reacting.

Martin said:
then I'd suggest to ignore it completely.
I will happily do that!

Martin said:
Even though the BIOS doesn't report that temperature, I think there's a small chance that it's valid and has a real source somewhere on the mainboard. Unfortunately most of the mainboard vendors don't tell exactly where which sensor's diode is really connected, so it's often an investigative job to find this out
By the way...........last foto from bios-health temp showed a low figure cos the pc was switched off some hours.
So just then I had another look in bios. The pc has been running some 3 hours now and should have "average temp".
cpu is now 59° celsius and board says 40° celsius.
Above it was 45 and 29

Martin said:
When I installed a fan near this VR, the temperature dropped by 15 C...

I see what I can do here, will take some time.........don`t go away. :D

[attachment=602]Job done and no noticable change in temp.

At first I had the XFX-mobo-handbook out and had a look. Nowhere anything mentioned with "VR".

Anyway..........with openend case and running pc I have blown cool air with a hairdryer onto the regions which you see marked on the attached scanned picture.

I took my time and gave those spots some 10 minutes of extra air---no change at all.

So to me it looks like ignoring the mess, as you said before.

You have been a great help Martin and I thank you again for your assistence and patience! :)

All the best from Berlin!

Attachments

• XFX mobo.JPG
    XFX mobo.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 8
I believe that should be the right region, if you want to be sure, check some reviews of this boards on net.
So if you haven't noticed a temperature change, then I believe you can ignore that value :)
The next build of HWiNFO released will improve some sensor values for this model, though I haven't yet managed to adjust all of them...
Greetings from Malacky ;)

[attachment=603][attachment=603]
Martin said:
I believe that should be the right region, if you want to be sure, check some reviews of this boards on net.

There is little chance I have learnt. I seem to be the only one in this country who has bought such a mobo! As I mentionend....the firm just does NOTHING that looks like support cos they do not build mobos anymore. And per google I haven`t been successful at all.
Looks to me like time for a change of mobo.

Martin said:
So if you haven't noticed a temperature change, then I believe you can ignore that value :)
That`s what I will do without bad conscience.

Martin said:
The next build of HWiNFO released will improve some sensor values for this model, though I haven't yet managed to adjust all of them...
I am looking forward! :)

Greetings from Malacky ;) Thanks a lot. So you are about 30 km away from Bratislava. ;)

Sniffing in my store I have not only found the handbook but also the mobo-cd with drivers, tools and stuff.

Made another shot from Nvidia System Monitor (the mobo). See the attach please. Nothing with rocking degrees.

Attachments

• nvidia system tool.JPG
    nvidia system tool.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 3
I made some more research about this and it seems it's an nVidia Reference Board. So several other companies in fact sell the same board design (XFX, Zotac, EVGA, etc).
I have also been able to decipher the rest of the sensors, so HWiNFO should be able to correctly report all values seen in the BIOS.
Yep, this small town is ~30 km from Bratislava (where I previously worked and lived), but I moved to a quieter&smaller town ;)

Martin said:
I made some more research about this and it seems it's an nVidia Reference Board.
Absolutely right! Actually I used to prefer mobos with Intel-chipset.

Martin said:
I have also been able to decipher the rest of the sensors, so HWiNFO should be able to correctly report all values seen in the BIOS.
I am looking forward to your next version of HWINFO!

Martin said:
Yep, this small town is ~30 km from Bratislava (where I previously worked and lived), but I moved to a quieter&smaller town ;)
Oh that`s remarkable! I have grown up in Berlin, been living for some time in the Rhineland and was happy to return back to the CITY. ;)

[attachment=606][attachment=607]I have just installed latest version of HWMINFO32 4.15-1893 and had a surprise:

Those alarming 90°+ have vanished!

Great job Martin! Thanks so much again! :)

Proof is attached.

:shy: :) ;)

Attachments

• HW Info version1893.JPG
    HW Info version1893.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Flaschengeist.gif
    Flaschengeist.gif
    66.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the feedback.
Yep, I removed that value from reporting so it doesn't confuse users. I have also adjusted the other sensor values, so they now report correct labels and values.

Back