Z77X-D3H/Z77X-UP5

on my end,

since I began using 1693, the numbers have never never moved from 40 - 42 C.

re: the previous post - I was reminded that ET6 was also reporting 100 C back when I was using it ( which I am not now )

as far as I am concerned, I am sticking with 1693

at this stage, I am happy ;-)

Thanks for the extensive report, it clearly explains the situation. :) I wish all users would make such detailed reports ;)
Yes, in the latest build (1695) I removed the +18C offset for all GIGABYTE Z77 series, because I thought that GIGABYTE changed this meanwhile for all boards.
So I'll put this back for the Z77 series (except Z77X-UP which stasio confirmed doesn't use this offset).
Now the question is which boards require this offset and which don't. We need more reports...

preacher65 said:
Hi, don't want to hi-jack this thread, but it seemed the best place to post. :)

I'm wondering if the 18c PCH offset was removed for the Z77X-D3H and perhaps should only have been for the Z77X-UP5? (I believe Stasio replaced his D3H with a UP5 partway through the thread?)

I have the Z77X-D3H with the latest official F9 BIOS, and I'm getting inconsistent readings for PCH temp between 4.00-1680 and 4.01-1695, and checking ET6 (and in the BIOS itself) makes me think 4.00-1680 is the one giving the correct reading.

HWINFO screenshot

I have 2 instances of HWINFO open, on the left is 32bit 4.00-1680 and on the right is 64bit 4.01-1695. (But both the 32bit and 64bit versions give the same result, this was just so that I can have the 2 versions open simultaneously.)

I've checked in the BIOS itself and the higher PCH value is reported there as well - screenshot below.

BIOS screenshot

Debug files as well in case they help.

Please let me know what you think, and if there's anything else I can do. Thanks. :)

Could you please compare build 1695 with ET6 values, especially the PCH temperature? If there's inconsistency, then your board requires the offset as well.

IronSky said:
on my end,

since I began using 1693, the numbers have never never moved from 40 - 42 C.

re: the previous post - I was reminded that ET6 was also reporting 100 C back when I was using it ( which I am not now )

as far as I am concerned, I am sticking with 1693

at this stage, I am happy ;-)

Hi Martin,
yea I think should be separate reading for previous series and new UP TH series.

Martin said:
Thanks for the extensive report, it clearly explains the situation. :) I wish all users would make such detailed reports ;)
Yes, in the latest build (1695) I removed the +18C offset for all GIGABYTE Z77 series, because I thought that GIGABYTE changed this meanwhile for all boards.
So I'll put this back for the Z77 series (except Z77X-UP which stasio confirmed doesn't use this offset).
No, thank you for a great tool and such fantastic support. :) I'm quite new to this (newly built so taking a close look at everything), but I take it we assume ET6 is accurate?

stasio said:
Hi Martin,
yea I think should be separate reading for previous series and new UP TH series.

Yep, I'll do that. Hope this will be right for other models too.

preacher65 said:
No, thank you for a great tool and such fantastic support. :) I'm quite new to this (newly built so taking a close look at everything), but I take it we assume ET6 is accurate?

Well, we have no other choice to prove it. One could take a thermometer and measure, but we don't know the exact diode place and nobody did this yet. Anyway, applying an offset to a temperature reading is quite an unusual practice, so it's possible that ET6 isn't right with this...

from the for what it is worth department . . .

everything has been fine on this end for a while . . . until . . . I happened to put the machine to rest for a bit, and chose the 'sleep' mode instead of a shutdown . . . and sure enough, went the system came back on, the ITE PCH temp hit an amazing 217 C !!!

I seem to remember this happening when coming out of 'sleep' mode in the past . . . ;-( . . . perhaps this is another clue ?? btw: an immediate reboot brought it back down to 41 C

it is currently at 27 C, right where I like it . . .

I'm sorry, but I don't know why this happens, but it's certainly a wrong reading. I'm filtering out such invalid values in the latest beta build.

From Gigabyte:
Instead of using the internal PCH temp, we use in new UP TH series our or own temp reading sensor near the PCH. That is the reason for different readings. The reason we use our own is we find it is more accurate at times and if the ME engine freezes, you are still able to read the temp.

So, if programs want to read our temp, rather than internal PCH, it is possible, but the utility would need to be configured by board, which would be a bit problematic

Btw,
Z77X-UP5 TH Review is out:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ltra-Durable-5-Analysis&p=5123929#post5123929

btw folks,

I finally figured it out . . .

system goes nuts when I come out of 'sleep' mode

the ITE PCH jumps to 207 C

check task manager and resource monitors and all 4 CPU cores are running at max (locked up at 3400+) and recorded on hwinfo system main monitors as well

I am showing on windows resource monitor that the VDeck Audio exe. program is using 100% of cpu resources at that time !!!!!

gotta reboot to bring it all back to normal settings

and now, with the hwinfo 1700, ironically, I can tell this is happening because the ITE PCH temp reading is no longer present in the gadget !!

have since downloaded a new vDeck updated driver from VIA, am waiting on a response from Gigabyte, and I will no longer be putting the machine in 'sleep' mode (for now)

just thought U may like to know of this 'data'.

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify - in latest HWiNFO builds I discard the invalid temperature readings, so that's probably the reason why you don't see it in the gadget.

another update . . .

Gigabyte just says to reflash my bios from f4 to f8 . . .

not really comfortable with that, nor have I done it before . . . advice says 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it . . .

downloaded updated version from VIA for vDeck.exe, installed okay, however . . .

did a 'sleep' mode today, got the same system lockup with ITE PCH temp reading at 213 C when I woke system up,
and same issue repeated of all Cores maxed out and vDeck usiing 100% of system resources . . .

anyway, removed vDeck from autostart, and will test again . . .

btw: do I really need vDeck ??? can I try another program ? or is it really in the bios ?

Sorry, I have no experience with vDeck. But when you remove it, you should at least determine if that was the cause...

Hi Martin,

I still have problem with HWiNFO and Gigabyte utilities ET6 and GTL.
This occur if HWiNFO running in background before start GB utilities.
No problem with other utilities like AIDA64,SIV,RealTemp,CPU-Tweaker,etc.... as they already running in background.
Will be interesting if any (Z77) other GB user post they result.
Thanks,rgs
stasio

Attachments

• HWiNFO-OFF.png
    HWiNFO-OFF.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 12
  • HWiNFO-ON.png
    HWiNFO-ON.png
    198.3 KB · Views: 8
That's because HWiNFO utilizes the Intel Integrated Clock Control to retrieve ICC information. Unfortunately when an application is connected to the ICC, the system doesn't allow other applications to connect (it's exclusive). ET6 seems to use this as well, whereas as far as I know no other tools (AIDA64, SIV, etc) support ICC.

Martin said:
Now the question is which boards require this offset and which don't. We need more reports...
Hi, thought I'd report back even though it's been a while.

I updated my BIOS (to F16) and ET6 (to build 2012.11.21) today, after a few months of not checking for new versions (busy at work). Would you believe that the PCH temp appears to have dropped by exactly 18C in both the BIOS and ET6, compared to HWINFO?

HWINFO & ET6 Screenshot

BIOS Screenshot (this was taken some minutes later, but the temp is close)

I'm assuming this was caused a BIOS update, not EasyTune, as I was previously getting the higher temp in the BIOS as well as in ET6. So it seems that the earlier BIOS versions were reporting the temperature wrong all along and the 18C offset is not needed. (Always assuming that the latest BIOS is more likely to be correct - I was previously on F9 so I've skipped a few updates.)

(I'm on 4.10-1820 BTW.)

This is on the Z77X-D3H, of course I'm not sure about any other Z77 boards. Hope that's helpful though.

Thanks for your feedback.
It's quite unusual that a temperature reading requires an offset to the raw value (like it did with previous BIOS versions). I was wondering about this, but I decided to be in sync with ET6 and BIOS so I applied that offset too. I would like to know the reason, but we will probably never know why...
Now it seems that Gigabyte has decided to remove it and so I'll do the same.

So UP5 with the latest BIOS still requires the +18C offset ?
I don't know now, whether to remove that offset only for Z77X-D3H...

stasio said:
UP5 display correct (1842).

Back