Adding Coolant Temp?

JMB1911

I recently installed an EVGA CLC280 to my system and I would like to be able to monitor the coolant temp in HWInfo and on screen like I do with my GPU/CPU temps.
How do I go about doing this?

I have EVGA Flow Controlled installed so I can control the fan speeds but I don't have a way to see coolant temp while in game.

Disabling "CorsairLink and Asetek Support" will cause HWiNFO not to touch the cooler at all.
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File with that option enabled.

That dump doesn't contain sensor data (you probably didn't open the sensors window), so I don't see what exactly is going on there.
I can only assume that some other software (EVGA?) is blocking access to the device.

I do have the EVGA software set to auto-launch at startup, but i've closed it for now. The attached .dbg is a bigger file. If still not what u need, let me know how to do a better dump.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG.7z
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
According to that dump you should be seeing the cooler data - temperature, fan and pump.

I swear that wasn't there a minute ago lol. Sorry if I was missing something simple. Thank you for looking at it! It is now showing up as the NZXT kraken.

It's using the same protocol and ID as NZXT Kraken, so it's shown as such.
I think you see it now because you closed the EVGA software?

Thanks again for your help! I have one more issue for you if you dont mind...
I am using MSI Dragon Center to run temperature-based fan programs for the 5 system fans in my machine. However, if I open HWINFO, I can hear the fans getting louder/faster. I'm not sure how to disable HWINFO from 'controlling' the case fans. Is that possible?

Although it sorta seems like it's maybe not the case fans that I'm hearing get louder. Does HWInfo take control of the CLC's fan?

*edit* See comment below. It's not the case fans, it's the CLC's fan that HWiNFO is controlling. Any idea why and whether I should do something about it?

Last edited:
Rebooting helped me confirm it's the CLC's fan that's getting way louder. It seems that HWInfo is cranking up the CLC fan to 1500rpms whereas EVGA's FlowControl had it at around 1200rpms

That's most likely some unintentional effect of trying to monitor the CLC fan speed. You'll need to disable the "CorsairLink and Asetek Support" option to avoid this, but you'll lose the cooler information in HWiNFO.

Additional observation:
1. Reboot computer
2. Launch HWiNFO - (can audibly hear fans get louder) CLC Fan 1500RPM steady
3. Close HWiNFO, launch EVGA FlowControl - (can audibly hear fans get quieter) CLC Fan 1200RPM steady
4. Close EVGA FLowControl, launch HWiNFO - CLC Fan 650-720RPM fluctuating, but it never climbs even if I run a stress test and get the CLC fluid temp up over 43.

It seems like using HWiNFO is capping the CLC fan even as the liquid temp rises well beyond 'normal'. Is there some way to modify how HWiNFO treats the CLC fan?

When the CLC liquid temp hit 44, i closed HWiNFO and reopened Flow Control. It immediately cranked the fans to 1800 RPM and the coolant temps started dropping (while keeping the stress software running).

That seems strange and unfortunate that HWiNFO is going to cap the CLC fan so low it wont dump enough heat to keep up with the CPU. I suppose if I never open FlowControl, then HWiNFO will keep the fans at 1500 - next question is whether 1500RPMs full-time is enough to keep up with stressed CPU.

So I shut down the machine and walked away for an hour.

Restarted PC, loaded HWiNFO (CLC Fan 1500RPM as predicted) and resumed stresstest (fold@home). The liquid temp is slowly climbing from idle 28 to 39 and staying put...
Its been nearly 2 hours and the temp hasn't gone above 39.5. CPU temps still at a very nice 70-73 and the liquid steady around 38.5.

So I think this is a win. Especially since the case fans are all still running the 'smart' software to drive their effort since those are way noisier than the CLC fans.

This is becoming something of a narrative here, but I like to be thorough.

I wound up moving the CLC radiator's fans to the CPU Fan header on the motherboard directly. Now I can use the same software to smart-control all the case fans and the radiator fan; while using HWiNFO to monitor everything I need to see.

Thanks again for your help!

Back