Autostart fixed ?

hello dear hwinfo users

we all know we have autostart issue

i dont wanna use Windows Task Scheduler

in new version is it fixed ?

any works to fix problem ?

thanks Martin

I'm sorry, but this has not yet been fixed.
As far as I know the only 'fix' possible would be implementing the same method as Windows Task Scheduler does. So if implemented, HWiNFO would automatically put such task there.

So you would be happy with such solution, even though it would work the same way via Task Scheduler?

I've been reading about this and not understanding why Auto Start doesn't work for some users. Works perfectly fine here. However I take down Windows UAC, starting up directly with the Administrator account, so most security is turned off here.

HWiNFO64 / Windows 7 x64 SP1, by the way.

Yep, UAC seems to be the problem why this solution doesn't work under Windows Vista and 7. With that enabled, you need to schedule it as a task using Task Scheduler.

It should work when you disable UAC. Are you running it under an administrative account?

Hi Folks,

I have suggested this before, but Martin maybe it doesn't work for everyone??? I don't know, you never said but said you would try it. I use HWiNFO64, so HW puts out a x64 Startup call, which on its own doesn't start HW. I add in an additional x86 Startup call, making 2 calls and my HW starts every time. I have UAC set to minimum so I need OK the start up but nothing more. What would be nice is if HW would by pass UAC like CCleaner and some others do, when they are started manually or automatically in startup.

Hope this helps somebody..... :)

Crysta

Hi Crysta,
thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not quite sure what you mean with the x64 and x86 second Startup call. Can you please explain more precisely?

Martin said:
Hi Crysta,
thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not quite sure what you mean with the x64 and x86 second Startup call. Can you please explain more precisely?

Hi Martin,

As you probably know, various Startup Managers offer different amounts and types of Startup System Config Control. Though I have not done any Command Prompt access in the Sys Config, I imagine that, that is different again. I use an old app from early Vista days written by Glen Loon called Startup Manager which is no longer being supported, on W7 Pro. You can find it online if you search for it. If I was on my desktop I would give the link. If you want it, let me know and I will msg it to you when I get on.

Now, what it seems is you don't realize that there are 2 sets(4) of accesses in the Registry Startup which Glen Loon's Startup Manager accesses. They are 32 bit and 64 bit accesses. The way you access the startup for HWiNFO32, it puts out a 32 bit (x86) call under Registry settings which you will see in Startup Manager and conversely HWiNFO64 puts out a 64 bit(x64) call under the Registry settings as apposed to the straight startup setting both of which are visible in Startup Manager. I simply add in the x86 Registry setting which solves the problem for me, using Glen Loon's Startup Manager.

So I hope that, that helps Martin. I won't be without Glen Loons Startup Manager and is how I can very effectively control what Starts up on my system by just checking or unchecking the box by each call. The results can be seen in System Configuration except there is no disable date available which is no big deal.

Crysta

Thanks Crysta for further details. Now I'd just really like to know which exact registry setting it is you did (x86) that made the autostart to work.
Both HWiNFO32 and HWiNFO64 currently put their autostart entry into the following registry path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
So I don't understand what that x86/x64 settings in the Startup Manager tool means. Are you somehow able to determine it?

Martin said:
Thanks Crysta for further details. Now I'd just really like to know which exact registry setting it is you did (x86) that made the autostart to work.
Both HWiNFO32 and HWiNFO64 currently put their autostart entry into the following registry path:
So I don't understand what that x86/x64 settings in the Startup Manager tool means. Are you somehow able to determine it?

Martin, Your getting very close to the end of my Registry knowledge and my understanding is even less about the registry BUT I believe I can help you answer your own question. I am going to assume you have found and installed Glen Loon's Startup Manager. If you put a Reg entry from Startup Manager for both ways in the registry and then go into System Configuration(for those whom don't know, a Administration Listed Tool) you should be able to see the resultant Registry Entry. Again, I am not on my desktop yet to be able to tell you what mine is. I believe CCleaner and Winpatrol also expand the registry entries on the Startup List.

I hope this helps Martin, I am an old mainframe programmer and database processor whom has been on disability for thirty years. I have been into PCs for about 3 years and everything is still very much a learning experience but then computers always are, aren't they.

Best Regards,

Crysta

so, add a command set to registry with hwinfo
and it will be done ?
ohh great
maybe next version will have auto-start feature

try on windows8, master

sorry im only user i cant help to you :)

I have checked some resources on web about autorun issues and found a suggestion which seems to be somehow similar to Crysts's modification to registry.
Will check that and post back if I have a solution.

PhotM said:
Martin said:

Martin, Your getting very close to the end of my Registry knowledge and my understanding is even less about the registry BUT I believe I can help you answer your own question. I am going to assume you have found and installed Glen Loon's Startup Manager. If you put a Reg entry from Startup Manager for both ways in the registry and then go into System Configuration(for those whom don't know, a Administration Listed Tool) you should be able to see the resultant Registry Entry. Again, I am not on my desktop yet to be able to tell you what mine is. I believe CCleaner and Winpatrol also expand the registry entries on the Startup List.

I hope this helps Martin, I am an old mainframe programmer and database processor whom has been on disability for thirty years. I have been into PCs for about 3 years and everything is still very much a learning experience but then computers always are, aren't they.

Best Regards,

Crysta

Hi Martin, Folks,

For completeness sake, the follow are the registry entries put in by Start Manager and HWiNFO64:

I put in with Start Manager as 32bit, x86:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.EXE

HWiNFO64 setup as 64 bit, x64:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.EXE

Start Manager by Glenn Van Loon can be obtained here:

http://startupmanager.org/about/
http://startupmanager.org/

Thanks for the update Martin, I hope you can solve this one and maybe learn how others are accomplishing getting around the UAI Query.

Best Regards and Thank You for you diligence!!! :D

Crysta

Yes, Crysta - that seems to be the key. It's very strange that a 64-bit application needs to make a 32-bit (compatibility) entry into Registry for this to work.
So I updated HWiNFO64 and autorun should work properly now - that means those which had troubles where HWiNFO64 didn't launch at all, it should be fixed now.
However, the UAC prompt cannot be overriden. This is a system security feature, so there are only 2 ways: either schedule using Task Scheduler, or disable entire UAC in system.
Check this build for fixed autorun: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_407_1764.zip

Back