Can HWiNFO read disk temps behind Intel RST RAID?

merwinsson

I saw the item in the FAQ about old Intel RST drivers having a bug that prevents HWiNFO from reading SMART disk temps, but I am on the latest public version of RST (11.7) under Windows 8 64 bit on a Z77 board, and, while HWiNFO displays the disk temps of the disks attached to the Intel onboard SATA ports, they are always 30 degrees C. Is this because the controller is set to RAID in the BIOS and such a mode hides the correct SMART info? Is there no way of reading my temps? I thought that--sometime ago--Intel got around to passing SMART info through its driver, even when the disks were in RAID mode.

From the description, I'm not sure if your problem is that HWiNFO reads temperatures from drives in SATA/AHCI mode and from drives in RAID mode it doesn't at all, or if the problem is that the temperature values are constant at 30 C.
Anyway, as long as you see the SMART information and temperatures, then these are really be the values read from the drive. Certain SSD drives are however known not to report correct temperatures, but report constant values instead. So this is a problem of the drive, not controller. Such drives either report a bogus value, or don't feature any logic to measure the temperature.

Not sure if it will help, but my rig is similar. Its an X79 board with the Intel RAID enabled in the UEFI, running Win8x64 and HWiNFO64 4.10-1820. I have 5 drives installed. I have one Crucial M4 SSD which shows smart status in the system details, but no temperature is reported in the sensors. I also have a 2 TB Western Digital Drive (WD20EARS) which reports everything fine including temp. And then I have three WD 500 GB drives (2 WD5000AAKS and 1 WD5000AACS) set up in a raid 5. All three of these seem to report their smart status and temperatures fine - current temps are 26, 27, 24 on them.

Martin said:
From the description, I'm not sure if your problem is that HWiNFO reads temperatures from drives in SATA/AHCI mode and from drives in RAID mode it doesn't at all, or if the problem is that the temperature values are constant at 30 C.
Anyway, as long as you see the SMART information and temperatures, then these are really be the values read from the drive. Certain SSD drives are however know not to report correct temperatures, but report constant values instead. So this is a problem of the drive, not controller. Such drives either report a bogus value, or don't feature any logic to measure the temperature.

Thanks. I guess I need to do some digging. I see from the other reply that it does seem to be possible to get at the HD temps through the RAID driver. So what it LOOKs like is that my SSDs are just reporting a bogus temp. It must be a bogus temp because all 6 drives are reporting 30 degress C and that NEVER changes, ever; that is very unlikely. I think what I'll do is install RST on my other computer which also has the same model SSD, but not in RAID. HWiNFO should report 30 on that one as well, but if it doesn't then there's still something going on that is unexplained.

I can't believe it, but my OCZ Agilty 3 and Vertex 3 drives are not equipped with a temp sensor, so the firmware reports 30 C all the time.

I have 2 cruddy MicroCenter SSDs that DO report their temperature, and these OCZs DONT. I'm shocked. Bloody OCZ.

The whole reason I want to monitor the temps is not trivial. Occasionally there is a disk error and the system crashes. I've noticed this happens after the system has been under heavy load. Ejecting the SSDs from their caddy directly after the failure has revealed that they were very hot to the touch, thus I've suspected overheating.

Anyways, thanks for one of the best monitoring tools I've ever seen. I don't know of any other tool that can punch through the RAID layer to get at SMART data.

Back