CPU package power reads high

ktony

HWINFO is reporting CPU Package Power higher than CPU power: 115 W vs 99 W. This has not always been the case. The current value is roughly 10x the expected.
.dbg file attached. I have seen references to Reports, as well, but have not figured out how to generate.
Thanks!
EDIT: This is an Asus Z170 board, i7-6700K, 16 GiB RAM, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 240GiB.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
What power values do you get in idle and under load?
Is SVID Support perhaps disabled in the BIOS? That would render the power measurement not working.

Martin said:
Is SVID Support perhaps disabled in the BIOS? That would render the power measurement not working.

Under load (Prime 95), 114 W. Idle, 13 W. (For CPU Package Power)
Under load (Prime 95), 103 W. Idle, 6-16 W (For CPU Power)

Martin said:

SVID was set to Auto. Changing to On made no real difference.

Under Prime95 load: CPU Power 101 W, CPU Package power 119 W
Idle: CPU Power 5.5 W, CPU Package Power 17 W

Those values look quite OK to me, just a bit higher. Why do you think it's 10 times the expected?

I think I have seen values in the 10-11 W range for Package Power under load. I can't recall the specific conditions, though I thought it came and went with different HWINFO versions. However, I seem to have misinterpreted what Package Power refers to. I had the idea that it was the power of the non-core components, but the values shown suggest that this is the total power input to the CPU. If this is the case, I am happy to find out that I am wrong. I just wanted better understanding of the named values. Call this non-issue resolved.

Thanks again for HWINFO, and for your time in clearing up my misconceptions.

Yes, CPU Package Power indicates the power of the entire CPU package, so IA cores, GT cores (if present) and rest.

Back