GPU - Thermal Throttling or Not?

Bin

New Build (2 week old):
- ASUS ROG STRIX OC RTX 3070TI

In HWinfo “GPU / Thermal Limit / Maximum - Yes” does this mean that my gpu is thermal throttling? How is this possible if the max gpu temperatures reached was only 68C while gaming and my cpu was normal aswell.

I noticed the issue when I was playing the game Warzone. It would trigger the maximum thermal limit to yes usually when gpu temps reached 65C-69C. How is this possible when in MSI Afterburner it says 83C is the thermal throttle temp?

I also ran 3D Mark Time Spy benchmark and my gpu maximum temperatures reached 70C but didn’t trigger the maximum thermal limit flag? So I am confused is my gpu really throttling or not?

Ln5UKx9.jpg

MmiwrCI.jpg

This has been observed on several NVIDIA GPUs but I don't think anyone was able to explain it yet. Not sure if this is a bug in drivers, or what...

This has been observed on several NVIDIA GPUs but I don't think anyone was able to explain it yet. Not sure if this is a bug in drivers, or what...

Any sources? Are people having the same issue as me and getting it when playing Warzone?

Do you think my card is faulty or it’s a driver bug? Just recently bought this gpu and would be very disappointed if it was a faulty card.

hey, sorry about necroing the thread, im new and didnt feel to open a new thread. i have the same issue playing world of warcraft. im guessing my card isnt throttling?

Edit: Ok so I have been messing about with settings, turned off vsync as i usually have it on to keep temps down, once id turned it off my temps reached 68c gpu and 85 hotspot, but no thermal throttle and maintaining 170fps at 1440p. then i decided to turn on vsync and the OSD returned a yes value for the thermal event. im guessing vsync lowers the threshold for temps in the gpu to keep in sync. im not sure but that was an extra bit of info i just found out i thought might be useful.
thermalthrottleyes (2).png

Last edited:
This is mine after playing 4 hours of GTA V at 4K (it has a 240mm radiator, hence the low max GPU and memory temp).

1645362070130.png

so what did you post for? you don't seem to have a thermal throttle reporting back.
1. It's a forum for discussion, where people can post content without seeking your permission.

2. Both Martin and OP mention possible driver-related causes. Since I also have an Nvidia card (511.62), I added to the conversation to demonstrate that it doesn't appear to be a driver problem. See quoted post below.
Do you think my card is faulty or it’s a driver bug?
3. Are you always this rude?

1. It's a forum for discussion, where people can post content without seeking your permission.

2. Both Martin and OP mention possible driver-related causes. Since I also have an Nvidia card (511.62), I added to the conversation to demonstrate that it doesn't appear to be a driver problem. See quoted post below.

3. Are you always this rude?
your post had nothing in it, just a screen shot, no thermal event, nothing. this thread was made due to thermal throttling, you came in, posted a screenshot of your gpu performing well and left. you think that is rude?

to op, ive noticed when switching from v-sync off to v-sync on a thermal event will trigger for half a second. It also happened when exiting a game. i had a look at the gpu-z window and the thermal events are tiny, it's like it recognises something, and then does nothing about it but report the thermal event.

to op, ive noticed when switching from v-sync off to v-sync on a thermal event will trigger for half a second. It also happened when exiting a game. i had a look at the gpu-z window and the thermal events are tiny, it's like it recognises something, and then does nothing about it but report the thermal event.

Thank you, this is an interesting observation.

I'm afraid there's nothing to be fixed on our side as this seems to be an issue on the GPU driver side providing such false flags. We have no way to know if these flags are legitimately or erratically raised.

If you create a HWINFO logfile, you can generate much better graphs as the GPU-Z intern ones. With such HWINFO-log-graphs it's clear when driver says "Throttling is on" ... and you can compare it e.g. with actual temperatures of GPU.

You can generate graphs of HWINFO-logfiles with the following tool: Generic Log Viewer

your post had nothing in it, just a screen shot, no thermal event, nothing. this thread was made due to thermal throttling, you came in, posted a screenshot of your gpu performing well and left. you think that is rude

Well, I don't find it rude anyway

your post had nothing in it, just a screen shot, no thermal event, nothing. this thread was made due to thermal throttling, you came in, posted a screenshot of your gpu performing well and left. you think that is rude?
I added information to a thread to show that, as far as I can tell, it's not a driver-related issue using the same generation of GPU. I demonstrated my card working correctly using the latest drivers, at the time of posting. This should have helped OP. Please grow up and learn how to communicate with other people in a civil manner, rather than attacking them for a post you didn't understand.

I added information to a thread to show that, as far as I can tell, it's not a driver-related issue using the same generation of GPU. I demonstrated my card working correctly using the latest drivers, at the time of posting. This should have helped OP. Please grow up and learn how to communicate with other people in a civil manner, rather than attacking them for a post you didn't understand.
well you should have said that in your first post.
I'm afraid there's nothing to be fixed on our side as this seems to be an issue on the GPU driver side providing such false flags. We have no way to know if these flags are legitimately or erratically raised.
ok thanks mate. would there be any way for one of your team to get in touch and maybe ask nvidia about such things? ive tried myself but they dont reply, will keep trying though.

If you create a HWINFO logfile, you can generate much better graphs as the GPU-Z intern ones. With such HWINFO-log-graphs it's clear when driver says "Throttling is on" ... and you can compare it e.g. with actual temperatures of GPU.

You can generate graphs of HWINFO-logfiles with the following tool: Generic Log Viewer
that is a good segue, ive been logging hwinfo and there seems to be a lot of information, is there a way to select certain sensors to log?

Новая сборка (2 недели):
- 12900К
- ASUS ROG STRIX OC RTX 3070TI

В HWinfo «GPU/Thermal Limit/Maximum — Yes» означает ли это, что мой GPU подвергается тепловому троттлингу? Как это возможно, если максимальная температура графического процессора достигла всего 68 ° C во время игры, а мой процессор также был в норме.

Я заметил проблему, когда играл в игру Warzone. Обычно это приводит к тому, что максимальный температурный предел устанавливается на «да», когда температура графического процессора достигает 65–69 °C. Как это возможно, когда в MSI Afterburner указано, что 83C - это температура дроссельной заслонки?

Я также запустил тест 3D Mark Time Spy, и максимальная температура моего графического процессора достигла 70 ° C, но не активировался флаг максимального теплового предела? Так что я смущен, мой GPU действительно дросселирует или нет?

Ln5UKx9.jpg

MmiwrCI.jpg
Привет! пожалуйста, скажи мне, что ты нашел причину?

Back