Hard drives with same name switch after reboot

Dreossk

Hello,

I have two hard drives. HWiNFO64 displays both their name as WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0. I'm using this program to obtain data for another program (Rainmeter) and it seems like upon reboot, the hard drives can be switched. I read the data with HWiNFO Shared Memory Viewer from the fixed IDs but sometimes they are switched. Is there anything I can do?

Please attach two HWiNFO Debug File of both situations - when the drives are in order and when they appear swapped.
Then I will look into that.

Via right-clicking on the item in sensors list and "Rename", or via sensor settings.

Ok, the problem still occurs even if I renamed the 2 hard drives to:

Drive: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 F
Drive: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 G

I PMed you the two DBG files. I do my test by copying a big file on my G: drive (to G:) and watching the read/write. The HWiNFO64-F.DBG file was produced when I was seeing the activity on my F: drive and the HWiNFO64-G.DBG file was produced when I was seeing the activity on my G: drive after a reboot.

Please inform me when you have the files so I can remove them.

Thanks!

Thanks, I have downloaded the Debug Files, you can remove them.
You're right, the order of drives changes, but this is not just in HWiNFO, it does also change in the operating system (where the order of physical drives is swapped). So I suggest to look deeper in the system why is this happening.
In HWiNFO sensors you should be able to distinguish the drives by serial number only, which is not ideal as it's not easy to remember, but there's currently no other way.

Thanks for the fast and continuous support Martin. Unfortunately, the serial numbers are not displayed in the sensor in the part about the read/write, they're only displayed earlier in the part with the temperatures. I'll check the OS issue. Does that data have a name or it's simply the order of the drives?

According to the Debug File you posted, those sensor names should contain a serial number as well. Is it possible that you don't see them because you have renamed them? When trying to rename a value HWiNFO will also show the original name.
Sorry, but I'm not sure what exactly to look for when drives are changing order in the operating system. Perhaps try to search the internet for similar issues.

Back