HP Stream 7 Tablet (now Asus Transformer T100)

Cmp_Cmndo

Windows 8.1 w/Bing, actually full 8.1 MS gives away for free.
http://www.howtogeek.com/195934/what-exactly-is-windows-8.1-with-bing-do-i-have-to-use-bing/

This is the tablet:
http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/tablets/hp-stream-7-tablet---5701

It has an eMMC drive, which System Summary does not recognize.
Also doesn't recognize any memory modules, probably because whatever is there is different.  Does see it as DDR3-952MB.
I don't think there is an SMBus

It does something else which is not unique to HWInfo.
HWInfo starts in full screen, with no minimize or maximize icons in the upper right of the window only the "X".  Your start screen in in the upper left & the rest of the window is blank (white).  CPU-Z has the missing icons but they are not active.

Hard to much other than internet & email, which is what I bought it for.  Also need a stylus to click on small things.
It's a lot faster than I expected.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Intel-Atom Z3735G.html

For the price, they will be selling a lot of these ($100US or less).

If you are interested in supporting this, I can log a Debug file.  Can't really type much text with it, given the small touch screen, but can transfer the file to a desktop or laptop for upload.

RE: HP Stream 7 Tablet

Yes, the Debug File might be helpful. But as you say - I don't think there's SMBus on this platform, so no way how to determine detailed memory module parameters.
As for the absence of minimize buttons, I think this is some Windows limitation.

Martin said:
Yes, the Debug File might be helpful. But as you say - I don't think there's SMBus on this platform, so no way how to determine detailed memory module parameters.
As for the absence of minimize buttons, I think this is some Windows limitation.

Hope I did it right, been a long time.  Assume you don't need any screen shots?

Attachments

• HWiNFO32.DBG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1

Indeed, there's no SMBus. Such platforms are usually quite limited.
But based on the dump I will at least improve identification of that Atom CPU model.

Martin said:
Indeed, there's no SMBus. Such platforms are usually quite limited.
But based on the dump I will at least improve identification of that Atom CPU model.
This newer Atom series (not to be confused with the one from a few years ago) seems to be coming out with a new one every few months.  Don't know why Intel would keep the same Atom name for a completely new line of cpu's?  I believe all the new ones are Silvermont Bay Trail & all have a prefix of "Z"?  Socket type appears to be one of the major differences among them.
BGA592, BGA1380.

The Stream 7 cpu costs $17,  Top of the line Bay Trail costs $40.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Atom & the platform, as a whole.  Much faster than a desktop AMD E1-1200 & some dual-core T-model laptops of a few years ago.  HP's only big mistake was to hide the uSD card slot internally, so the back cover must be pried off to access.  Might be able to cut a slot & add a rubber plug in the cover to access it, but it's only a couple weeks old.

Yes, it's the Bay Trail platform (CPU previously called Valleyview) which is based on the Silvermont core and comes is different versions for desktop, mobile, embedded and tablet. Tablet versions begin with "Z" and are optimized for lowest power.

HP Stream 7 only lasted 4 weeks, then refused to charge.  Took it back to store, none in stock, got refund.
Now have Asus Transformer T100-TAM; far superior to Stream 7, but more expensive & more useful, since has keyboard in addition to 10" touch screen.
Intel Atom Z3775, Bay Trail-T
Intel HD Graphics FGen7 4EU, Valleyview

Installed v4.50-2400 32-bit
It's a 64-bit cpu, but Win8.1 is 32-bit since only 2GB RAM
Other than not being able to recognize the drive & memory module, details seem correct
Was clicking on main page & it just crashed & disappeared from desktop, wouldn't reload, Task Manager still shows process running, killed process, now running again.

That was strange.

Martin said:
Hm, please attach the HWiNFO Debug File so I can check that..

1st one is larger file.  Maybe it was created earlier & new debug got added to it?
I notice "Debug Write Direct" box is checked.  Should it be unchecked for normal operation?

File time stamps change when I move file to main computer for upload.

2nd one created from scratch.

Attachments

• HWiNFO32.DBG
    430 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO32_#2.DBG
    147 KB · Views: 2
There's no SMBus controller, so memory modules can't be identified. Even if there would be, I believe the memory doesn't contain SPD to preserve space in such constraint designs.
Also the storage drivers don't seem to provide any information about drives I'm afraid.
Besides that I don't see any issues in those dumps.

Storage device is eMMC (embedded Multi Media Card) soldered to motherboard.  Don't know what brand, but probably this or like this.
eMMC_Pro.jpg

The eMMC  architecture puts the MMC components (flash memory plus controller) into a small ball grid array (BGA) IC package for use in circuit boards as an embedded non-volatile memory system.

Almost all mobile phones and tablets use this form of flash for main storage. The latest version of the eMMC standard (JESD84-B501) by JEDEC is version 5.01, with speeds rivaling discrete SATA based SSDs (400 MB/s).

Memory is also some kind of embedded memory.

Sensor screen does identify the eMMC as VID:15 MCG8GC
This being the case, shouldn't it also be displayed on the System Summary?

It's not shown there because only (S)ATA, SAS and SCSI devices are considered as storage drives.

Maybe time to add another, since it's now a standard drive, but they don't support the SPI-bus.
MCG8GC is a Samsung.

Back