HWiNFO64 Stopped working

Gervs

Hello All,

I noticed a minor bug in the latest beta (v4.37-2165) of HWiNFO64: In Application settings (right-clicking the icon in notification area and selecting "Settings") if you click on the tab "Driver Management" and then come back to the "General/User Interface" tab (even without changing anything) HWiNFO64 crashes (windows tells me it stopped working). This bug isn't a problem for me but I'm sure it's annoying for some users .

Apart for that HWiNFO is an excellent application, constantly updated and free too, what more could anyone want(?)

My System (in case this is an isolated incident):

Win 8.1 pro with MCE, WITHOUT Win8.1 Update1
Asus Z87 Pro Mobo
i7 4770k
16GB Ram
2x Nvidia Geforce GTX SLI
And all the other usual bells and whistles.

Thanks for your report.
I tried to reproduce this issue several times, but it works for me without any crash.
Have you noticed this in the latest build only? Are you running HWiNFO in Sensor-only mode?

Gervs said:
1. Hello All,

2. I noticed a minor bug in the latest beta (v4.37-2165) of HWiNFO64: In Application settings (right-clicking the icon in notification area and selecting "Settings") if you click on the tab "Driver Management" and then come back to the "General/User Interface" tab (even without changing anything) HWiNFO64 crashes (windows tells me it stopped working).
3. This bug isn't a problem for me but I'm sure it's annoying for some users .

4. Apart for that HWiNFO is an excellent application, constantly updated and free too, what more could anyone want(?)

1. Hello to you too
2. Same here too
3. Neither a problem too. I never go there often ;)
4. Agreed

@wawans1975: which operating system do you have and in which mode do you run HWiNFO ?

Martin said:
Thanks for your report.
I tried to reproduce this issue several times, but it works for me without any crash.
Have you noticed this in the latest build only? Are you running HWiNFO in Sensor-only mode?

Hi,

EDIT: It fixed itself when I installed the current non-beta version(v4.36-2150) to see if it was affected, I then overwrote that with affected beta version (v4.37-2165) and it didn't crash any more. I had previously updated from beta v4.37-2160 to beta v4.37-2165 this may have been the cause. Thanks for the fast reply, hope this helps someone.

It's doesn't do that in the current non-beta version (v4.36-2150), I never tried it on the previous beta version (and don't have the files to reinstall it and check). I am running HWiNFO in sensor only mode, and have have set it to "minimize sensors on startup" and "minimize main window on startup".

Thanks for your feedback. Still it's a bit strange that it 'fixed' itself that way... I'll have to investigate it somehow anyway.

Hi

I might have been wrong about it fixing itself. After the "fix" it still does it but very rarely and never right after launch. Whereas before it was every time. Very strange.

Could this be somehow related to hovering the mouse over some items in the dialog to show the tooltips ?
Does it happen when moving to a different tab as well ?

Hi

I'm no expert but I would say no it's not related to tooltips dialog, as I just opened "settings", clicked on "driver management", without moving the mouse I glanced down to see if it said installed and then clicked back to "general/user interface". I didn't hover over anything that would have had a dialog popup as my mouse travelled along the other tab headings. Also this was done quickly so there won't have been enough time for anything to popup even if I had hovered over a setting. I didn't try any other tabs at the time so I don't know if they do the same thing. Since the "fix" its only crashed twice out of about 20-30 attempts (I wasn't counting). And now I can't even reproduce it.

Martin said:
@wawans1975: which operating system do you have and in which mode do you run HWiNFO ?

Win 8.1 Pro MCE with latest april update and ticking sensors only at startup, (not happen if not ticking)

Martin said:
Could this be somehow related to hovering the mouse over some items in the dialog to show the tooltips ?
Does it happen when moving to a different tab as well ?
clicking safety tab and clicking back to general tab and move a litte down inside cause it too

this with hwinfo64 v4.36-2150 non beta

Martin said:
So it doesn't crash if you go straight to Settings before launching the scan ?
yes it doesn't crash if i don't start monitoring|sensor status menu from Main Window or Sensors menu on tray too.

Thanks, but a DBG file won't help here.
Do you it crashes when you hover the mouse over a checkbox/text which would normally display a tooltip ?
If possible, please try to perform more test to determine when it crashes and when it doesn't...

Martin said:
Thanks, but a DBG file won't help here.
Do you it crashes when you hover the mouse over a checkbox/text which would normally display a tooltip ?
If possible, please try to perform more test to determine when it crashes and when it doesn't...
tab is have 2 rectangle, little one (for name header) and bigger one (for objects).
if i move the mouse inside to bigger rectangle then crash. Hope this help

Thanks.
So it doesn't matter if your mouse reaches a text item, but just when it reaches the main rectangle ?
Also, does it happen if you move from any other tab to the first one (General / User Interface) only ?

Martin said:
Thanks.
So it doesn't matter if your mouse reaches a text item, but just when it reaches the main rectangle ?
Also, does it happen if you move from any other tab to the first one (General / User Interface) only ?
1. after clicking the tab header then go down reaches the main rectangle, crash.
2. clicking smbus tab then clicking safety tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
clicking smbus tab then clicking driver mgmt tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
clicking smbus tab then clicking general tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
clicking driver mgmt tab then clicking smbus tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
clicking driver mgmt tab then clicking safety tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
clicking driver mgmt tab then clicking general tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
clicking safety tab then clicking smbus tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
clicking safety tab then clicking driver mgmt tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
clicking safety tab then clicking general tab then go down reach the main rect, crash.
doing the same with general tab to other tab then go down it main rect, crash too.

Martin said:
Thanks for the additional tests.
Please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_437_2166.zip and let me know if it maybe fixes it.
If it still crashes, please attach a screenshot of the crash message with details.
Still crash
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: HWiNFO64.exe
Application Version: 4.3.7.0
Application Timestamp: 53479ed5
Fault Module Name: StackHash_14a7
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.17031
Fault Module Timestamp: 530895af
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: PCH_24_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009B13A
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.103
Locale ID: 1057
Additional Information 1: 14a7
Additional Information 2: 14a77463ec7659737146a3b3f98b0958
Additional Information 3: fcd1
Additional Information 4: fcd1662085664f464c8817c298ffec29

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

* Update with pic and zip file contain vid capture

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1.zip
    575.6 KB · Views: 5
Back