HWiNFO64 stuck detecting ata/scsi drive

nekminnit

Hi, I have been experiencing this issue ever since my PC crashed during a Windows Security scan. My OS is on a SSD, and Windows was scanning my HDD. When launching HWinfo, the app will hang at 'detecting ata/scsi' drive and will eventually launch a few minutes later. After some reading, disabling S.M.A.R.T support fixes the issue but I would like to keep this feature. Event viewer shows: "Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows" (AppModel-Runtime) and "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued" (source storahci). What can I do to fix this? Thanks.

Instead of disabling entire SMART support you might rather try to disable "ATA Statistics Support" if that will help.

Instead of disabling entire SMART support you might rather try to disable "ATA Statistics Support" if that will help.
I tried this and it still gets stuck for a bit. I also tried reinstalling HWinfo which didn't change anything. Do i need to reinstall a driver or something? Not sure why this has happened all of a sudden when it was working fine before.

I'm not sure why this happens, but there are already some reports of recent Windows Defender causing various troubles during system scan. It seems that some recent update to Windows Defender is causing issues with software like HWiNFO, perhaps due to virtualization. I don't have a solution for this yet I'm afraid.

Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File of the situation when it hangs (with enabled SMART). I will look at what exactly happens there, maybe I can see something that I could workaround.

Yes, it is. But it looks like it has run completely thru and this won't tell me where exactly the large lag is.
Can you please repeat the Debug process and kill HWiNFO process (in Task Manager) when it becomes stuck and then attach a new Debug File? That should tell me where it hangs.

When HWinfo became stuck it wasn't shutting down through 'end task' in task manager, but I spammed it and then it worked. Hopefully this debug file is correct.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    733.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks, this shows me something.. The large delay seems to be when HWiNFO tries to read the WDC WD10EZEX drive SMART attributes. It looks like this query is taking excessive time and in the end it fails with an I/O device error. However I cannot see HWiNFO doing anything wrong here nor how to fix this. It's either a problem of the SATA driver or (more likely) a problem with the drive or its firmware.
Perhaps you could try to attach it to a different SATA port or check BIOS settings (e.g. SMART Enable).

Interesting. I initially suspected that something went wrong with the drive when my PC crashed during the Windows security scan. I will try to check BIOS settings and then try a different port. If that doesn't work, maybe I will reformat the drive. Will get back to you with results.

I don't think reformatting the drive will help. If nothing works maybe a drive firmware update will help (if this is possible).

Thanks, this shows me something.. The large delay seems to be when HWiNFO tries to read the WDC WD10EZEX drive SMART attributes. It looks like this query is taking excessive time and in the end it fails with an I/O device error. However I cannot see HWiNFO doing anything wrong here nor how to fix this. It's either a problem of the SATA driver or (more likely) a problem with the drive or its firmware.
Perhaps you could try to attach it to a different SATA port or check BIOS settings (e.g. SMART Enable).
Wow so I tried a different SATA port and this time it worked. No hanging, HWinfo launched as normal. But does this mean my other port is messed up?

Looks like that.
I tried uninstalling each device under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Disk Drives and Storage Controllers, then restarting after each installation. The issue is still there on the other port? Any idea on what else I can to do fix that port?

Yea I will, but I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the other port and if I can fix it. I would prefer it to work as normal.

Sorry, no idea. Why don't you keep the port that works?
UPDATE: Issue seems to have been resolved after a Windows System Restore.

UPDATE 2: I have discovered the root cause of this bug/issue. When I enabled ransomeware protection in Windows Security, the issue occurred and HWinfo would hang. I have now allowed HWinfo64.exe through controlled folder access and it works fine. Not sure if you guys want to look into this or not for a future patch.

Back