I cannot boot from my second SSD drive

panoss

Hi everybody.
I have a DELL Inspiron 1564 and I replaced my DVD drive with an SSD (using this adpater) in order to have and a second SSD.
My problem is I can't boot from the second SSD, only from the first one.
(I can read and write files from the second)

In the attached file you 'll find the report from HWinfo.
Any help on how to boot from the second SSD is welcome.

Attachments

• DESKTOP-6570T61.HTM
    163.4 KB · Views: 2
Then you should contact DELL support. As far as I recall some DELL machines had restrictions on using drives, they accepted only certain models on a white-list.

Hi everybody.
I have a DELL Inspiron 1564 and I replaced my DVD drive with an SSD (using this adpater) in order to have and a second SSD.
My problem is I can't boot from the second SSD, only from the first one.
(I can read and write files from the second)

In the attached file you 'll find the report from HWinfo.
Any help on how to boot from the second SSD is welcome.
From the working Windows, open Command Prompt as administrator and use these commands:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (replace # with the number of the second)
list partition
select partition # (replace # with whichever partition is Reserved, not Primary or Recovery)
active
exit

(@Callistemon forgive me for answering after so many days but I had not seen your message)
list partition
After the above command I get:
1646414529584.png

So no partition is 'Reserved'.

I try:
- select partition 0
- active

I get the message:
'The selected partition is not primary or logical volume.'

(the same happens if I select partition 3)

(@Callistemon forgive me for answering after so many days but I had not seen your message)

After the above command I get:
View attachment 7477

So no partition is 'Reserved'.

I try:
- select partition 0
- active

I get the message:
'The selected partition is not primary or logical volume.'

(the same happens if I select partition 3)
Sorry for the confusion. It's Partition 1 in this list. Apparently "list partition" labels Reserved as Primary. "list volume" is what shows the Reserved label. Sorry for the confusion, I failed to direct you to "list volume" to look for Reserved. I was misleading to say "list partition" because I can never manage to get anything right without errors. I should have said "list volume" instead, and this frustration would not have occurred.

Either use select partition 1 since it's now known, or use list volume and select volume # to choose the volume that is labeled Reserved.

Last edited:
Back