I rolled back to 6.42, thank you!

from https://www.hwinfo.com/licenses/
4 HWiNFO64 (non-Pro) has a time-limited Shared Memory support to 12 hours. When this limit is reached during run-time, this feature will be automatically deactivated (and requires manual enabling again)
rolling back to. This is stupid for a private user
rolling back to 6.42

Last edited:
And Aquasuite is fully free? I don't think so. It also won't run without their hardware, so you pay the hardware and then extra for their software if you want more. But it's their choice and business.

We were asked by several users to add support of new Aqua Computer devices, but we needed information about them. In the past Aqua Computer was keen on cooperation and they provided us the information so we could show monitoring data for their devices. But for the last couple of years our requests are ignored. When other Aqua Computer customers inquired about this, the response was just an excuse: "we're too busy to provide information to others". You can check that on their forums.

So while Aqua Computer enjoyed the benefit of a making use of software available totally free, they didn't even bother to at least provide a few lines of information.

Now you think someone has the right to be paid for his work, while another one not?

Last edited:
The thing is, you say your software is free for private users, but you have put a serious limitation on its use. I have a very ambivalent relation to Aquacomputer. On the one hand they deliver very nice stuff, on the other hand they have strange relation to their customers. As I have heard (from people close to them) they aren't really interested in private consumers, they prefer larger businesses. Because of this they are now in a very difficult situation, financially, as I have been led to understand. Water cooling for businesses is a very, very, very niche market, so I don't understand how they have been able to carry on for so long. As to their software, it was a total disaster while free. No one bothered about it, and the complaints were many and loud. Now you get it for free for a limited time depending on the equipment you buy. I don't like it, as many others, but they don't say it's free, like you do, and then limit its use.

BTW, I will probably pay for HWInfo64, after having tested it, as I did for Aida64, after having tested that one out. Sadly Aida64 have a developer with a peculiarity about what he will and will not allow his software to do, and I have more or less given up on him. Not allowing the efficiency of a PSU to be monitored because it isn't 100% accurate, is just plain stupid (and a couple of other things).

The vast majority of HWiNFO users don't use software interfacing with HWiNFO via Shared Memory (SHM), so they are not affected by this change. Let's call it Freemium then to be precise.
As I have already explained in other posts the limitation in SHM was not targeted at private users, but to limit commercial benefit from this feature. I understand that this is affecting several private users as well, but there was no other way as it's not possible to selectively determine which application is making use of SHM. I'm currently evaluating this impact and will see if there might be room for some exceptions, but for now things will remain as they are.

Regarding the Corsair "PSU Efficiency", I agree with AIDA64 statement - the way this is calculated is not very sophisticated IMO and no one (except Corsair) knows how reliable that value is. The difference is only that HWiNFO does show it despite the doubtful meaning.

Last edited:
The vast majority of HWiNFO users don't use software interfacing with HWiNFO via Shared Memory (SHM), so they are not affected by this change. Let's call it Freemium then to be precise.
As I have already explained in other posts the limitation in SHM was not targeted at private users, but to limit commercial benefit from this feature. I understand that this is affecting several private users as well, but there was no other way as it's not possible to selectively determine which application is making use of SHM. I'm currently evaluating this impact and will see if there might be room for some exceptions, but for now things will remain as they are.

Regarding the Corsair "PSU Efficiency", I agree with AIDA64 statement - the way this is calculated is not very sophisticated IMO and no one (except Corsair) knows how reliable that value is. The difference is only that HWiNFO does show it despite the doubtful meaning.
But you show it, and that's what's matters. If the customers wants it, you supply it, basic rule of trade.

Then can you please make a note of the fact that the software is free, BUT... I will buy it, most likely, but I'm evaluating it right now. I've used it for a year or so, but only to get the efficiency of the PSU. Now I've started changing all of the other values from Aida64 to HWInfo64 as well, but I need to be sure everything works before I buy. And the 7.0 update didn't actually help much.

You can stay with the latest v6.43 Beta (full free), that was the last one without the limit and supports what you need.
If you later see a need to upgrade to 7.0+ you can consider whether it's worth for you to pay for the license.

So my Rainmeter skins are now going to stop working every 12 hours & I need to purchase a "Pro" license for $30 to prevent it...? Looks like I'm downgrading too & looking at alternatives. I'll also be recommending against HWINFO for anyone looking to monitor their system anymore...

Charging for new features is one thing. Limiting existing features that users have already come to rely on after years of use unless they pay to keep using them is absolutely not.

FYI - It was never my intention to charge for such feature, it's a side-effect of a wider restriction imposed on commercial use (described in several other posts here).
I'm currently working with the Rainmeter team on how to continue providing this feature without limit and for free.

That is good to hear, & I'll keep an hopeful eye on this, but I can't help but feel like this could have been handled better by letting regular users know ahead of time that this was about to happen, so they could prepare &/or bring up things shared memory support is important to, & they could be worked with before the update went live.

I had no idea why HWINFO kept disabling shared memory support on me until I found a reddit post about it today, as the notifications were happening while I was away. I'd just come back to my PC & shared memory was randomly disabled. Then I found out it was limited & I would have to pay or downgrade to keep normal functionality the way I had set everything up around. Not really a pleasant thing to have thrown at me out of the blue... Especially since I have no use for any of the other features provided by the Pro license.

Not sure what the issue is with aquasuite since you can access aquacomputer's sensors via aquasuite as well as most hw sensors (cpu, gpu etc.). I guess the issue is mainly where you rely on HWinfo to monitor third party sensors plugged to MB (that aquasuite then does not monitor).

I use aquasuite and aquacomputer sensors so although i was surprised that the monitoring was not there by defaut anymore in hwinfo, this is less of an issue for me. I am using it more the other way around i.e. having my aquasuite sensors as tray icons.

I also tend to agree with HWInfo staff. Aquasuite is not free and they also could developp a functionality allowing to monitor third party sensors rather than relying on others.

20 EUR is 1/5 of an aquaero, I guess it is still affordable if the function is really needed. For those who don't want to pay for HWinfo, you can still buy a calitemp for the same price.

The free StreamDeck plugin uses Shared Memory Support to show my CPU/GPU isage / temps.
This no longer works for more than 12 hours in a row I guess which is rather annoying.
If it's possible to loosen the restriction for stuff like that then that would be appreciated @Martin .
Made an account just to post about the exact same thing. My free integration is now broken every 12 hours, because HWinfo stops providing sensor data. I'll be downgrading to v6.43 I guess.

Back