Incorrect CPU Temperature Reported By HWiNFO32

jaypeecee

Hi Folks,

This is my very first post on this forum, so - hello everyone!

Having just installed HWiNFO32 on one of my PCs, I am impressed by this software. However, it is incorrectly reporting the CPU temperature. It has correctly identified an ASUS ASB100 sensor but I presume that's on the motherboard. It has also correctly identified the CPU as a rather aged Intel Pentium 4-1800. The CPU temperature reported by HWiNFO32 is 32.0 degrees C in each of the three columns (current, min and max). The actual temperature indicated by other software running on this PC is 48/49 degrees C. Interestingly, under the Enhanced Features section for the CPU, it states:

Thermal Monitor 1 Supported, Disabled
Thermal Monitor 2 Not Supported

I suspect this information is key to the problem I'm seeing but I don't know how to enable the Thermal Monitor 1 on this CPU. Also, does that mean that this CPU has been running since day 1 (many years ago) without internal thermal protection? Why would it be disabled?

Would anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

JPC

Hi,

I need more details in order to analyse this situation. Please submit the HWiNFO32 Report and Debug files.
See this topic http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-IMPORTANT-Read-this-before-submitting-a-report how to do that.
Basically the BIOS is responsible for enabling of various CPU features, so please check there if you can see something to enable TM. However, TM1 nor TM2 are not related to an issue with reporting of the CPU temperature.

Regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,

OK, here are the two files you requested:

MESH.LOG
HWiNFO32.DBG

They are attached to this post.

FYI, I initially created the MESH.* file as MESH.HTM but I was unable to attach it as I got this message at the top of this post - "The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector" - in red.

Thanks for your help.

JPC

Attachments

• MESH.LOG
    115.3 KB · Views: 83
  • HWiNFO32.DBG
    61.2 KB · Views: 84
Thanks. According to the data you sent it seems that the BIOS didn't enable TM1. This is either a BIOS bug, or (more likely) it exposes the over-temperature control to the Operating System and the OS must handle such situation (so not the CPU automatically by modulating CPU clock when over-temperature is detected). I won't go into more details :)
However, the files you attached don't contain the sensor page, so I can't make any judgments about the CPU temperature. Please remember to open the Sensors window prior to generating a report.

Hi Martin,

Me again!

Thanks for your information. I haven't checked the BIOS yet but I will aim to do that within the next 24 hours and let you know the outcome. Is handing an over-temperature situation to the OS reliable? Doesn't seem right to me that the over-temperature situation is not managed by the very device that it's trying to protect, i.e. the CPU itself.

I have re-run a report with the Sensors window open and attached it (MESH2.LOG) to this post. I await your valued comments.

JPC

Attachments

• MESH2.LOG
    159.1 KB · Views: 76
Hard to say if the OS implementation is reliable. Depends on implementation.
Please attach a Debug File after having Sensors opened too.

jaypeecee said:
Hi Martin,

Me again!

Thanks for your information. I haven't checked the BIOS yet but I will aim to do that within the next 24 hours and let you know the outcome. Is handing an over-temperature situation to the OS reliable? Doesn't seem right to me that the over-temperature situation is not managed by the very device that it's trying to protect, i.e. the CPU itself.

I have re-run a report with the Sensors window open and attached it (MESH2.LOG) to this post. I await your valued comments.

JPC

Hi Martin,

I will check out the proposed fix for CPU temperature reporting. I'm afraid it will have to wait until tomorrow morning along with the other things you've asked me to try out. Sorry about that but I trust you'll understand.

Expect to hear from me tomorrow morning (UK time).

I really value your super-quick feedback. Good on ya!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

JPC

:) No problem.
Please create a new Report+Debug file then with sensors, so I can verify the data too.

Martin said:
I tried to fix the CPU temperature reporting so please try this build:
http://www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw32_355_818.zip
and let me know how it worked..
Hi Martin,

I tried the build above and, sure enough, it appears to have fixed the CPU temperature reporting problem. However, I now notice that the CPU fan speed is incorrect. It is shown by HWiNFO32 as typically 2000 rpm but I noticed on the BIOS information earlier that it was showing twice that figure.

Incidentally, the BIOS I'm running is by Award Software and it is revision 1007C. There is no TM1 control option and I checked in both the Hardware Monitor and CPU sections of the BIOS.

I have generated a new report from within HWiNFO32 with Sensors running. However, it is not possible to generate a debug file from within HWiNFO32. Instead, the debug mode is initiated on starting HWiNFO32 and, at that point, I am unable to ensure that Sensors is running. Anyway, the files that I have produced with this new build are attached below.

JPC

Attachments

• MESH3.LOG
    218.6 KB · Views: 78
  • HWiNFO32.DBG
    68.7 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for the data. I'm glad to hear that I fixed the ASB100 temperatures issue, so I want to check the Fan speed now.
Unfortunately you forgot to attach the Debug File while having the Sensors opened.. Can you please do so?

Martin said:
Thanks for the data. I'm glad to hear that I fixed the ASB100 temperatures issue, so I want to check the Fan speed now.
Unfortunately you forgot to attach the Debug File while having the Sensors opened.. Can you please do so?
Martin,

As explained in my previous post, I'm not sure how to attach the Debug File while having the Sensors opened. Please explain.

JPC

Just enable Debug Mode as standard, run HWiNFO32, open Sensors window, let it run for few seconds, close Sensors and HWiNFO32.
Then grab the HWiNFO32.DBG file and attach...
It's only important to have the Sensors opened while in Debug Mode, because only when you open Sensors the sensor data are captured in the Debug data.. nothing special...

jaypeecee said:
As explained in my previous post, I'm not sure how to attach the Debug File while having the Sensors opened. Please explain.
JPC

Martin said:
Just enable Debug Mode as standard, run HWiNFO32, open Sensors window, let it run for few seconds, close Sensors and HWiNFO32.
Then grab the HWiNFO32.DBG file and attach...
It's only important to have the Sensors opened while in Debug Mode, because only when you open Sensors the sensor data are captured in the Debug data.. nothing special...
Hi Martin,

OK, the deed is done. Resulting file is attached below.

Thanks.

JPC

Attachments

• HWiNFO32_NEW.DBG
    122.1 KB · Views: 78
Back