Is HWiNFO causing the dreaded WHEA-Logger Event ID XX Cache Hierarchy Errors and sudden reboots on AMD Ryzen systems?

That file doesn't indicate any problem, at least in HWiNFO. Based on that data HWiNFO was properly terminated, so no unexpected interruption like a system crash.

With Debug Mode enabled, HWiNFO constantly dumps data of what it's currently doing. So if a crash happens, I can see what was the last operation performed that might have caused the crash (if it was a fault of HWiNFO).

With Debug Mode enabled, HWiNFO constantly dumps data of what it's currently doing. So if a crash happens, I can see what was the last operation performed that might have caused the crash (if it was a fault of HWiNFO).
That isn't consistent with what I was seeing. With Debug mode turned on, and HWInfo running active on the sensors screen docked, the debug file stayed at 0KB. As Pinkie Pie mentioned, I had doubts that this would catch the issue, as the problem manifests as a straight power kill, like hitting the reset button. No BSoD or other opportunity for the log to flush.

Don't worry about the file size, this is not shown properly during runtime as the file is created with a special mode. The size is correctly adjusted only after it's closed.

I just installed again to test, and the HWiNFO64.dbg stays at 0KB until you gracefully close the app, then it populates the log. I'm not seeing it constantly dump data as you said it should be, so maybe something else needs to be configured? Debug Mode and Debug Write Direct are definitely checked.

Attached is a screenshot after 30 seconds of it running at the folder.

Attachments

• HWInfoDebug.png
    HWInfoDebug.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Don't worry about the file size, this is not shown properly during runtime as the file is created with a special mode. The size is correctly adjusted only after it's closed.
So the first zip file was created after this exact procedure:

HWInfo sensors left running docked
PC spontaneously rebooted to login screen
I came back to computer, saw that it rebooted, logged in to desktop.
Debug file was showing still at 0KB
I then launched HWInfo and manually closed again, which populated the debug file.

Logically I'd assume that this would only result in the debug file containing information from the graceful start and close following the reboot, and not what was written up to the power cycle triggered.

Hello, finally glad i found a solution to my problem ! I have the same issue.
Gigabyte B550M / Ryzen 5 3600 / GTX 1660 Super > no problem.
Changing to a Powercolor 6700 > when in idle or after a wake up, freeze, black screen and reboot > error 18 > Cache Hierarchy Error.
Currently using an old version oh HWinfo (6.42) pour go with the streamdeck plugin.
Just uninstall HWinfo today, get you posted.

Last edited:
I have been getting graphics lock ups on occasions recently where it sounds like my system is still running but I can't do anything as the images on the screens are frozen. I have to reset the system and when I go to Windows event viewer it looks like the first error that has caused the lockup is Hwinfo as it is mentioned in the error details. Is this similar to what anyone else is getting here? I have a Ryzen 7700X, Asus strix e-egaming X670 mobo and RTX 4090.

Last edited:
I have been getting graphics lock ups on occasions recently where it sounds like my system is still running but I can't do anything as the images on the screens are frozen. I have to reset the system and when I go to Windows event viewer it looks like the first error that has caused the lockup is Hwinfo as it is mentioned in the error details. Is this similar to what anyone else is getting here? I have a Ryzen 7700X, Asus strix e-egaming X670 mobo and RTX 4090.
Just uninstall HWinfo and test.
The typical problem is : screen freeze, black screen and reboot. No BSOD.

Hello, finally glad i found a solution to my problem ! I have the same issue.
Gigabyte B550M / Ryzen 5 3600 / GTX 1660 Super > no problem.
Changing to a Powercolor 6700 > when in idle or after a wake up, freeze, black screen and reboot > error 18 > Cache Hierarchy Error.
Currently using an old version oh HWinfo (6.42) pour go with the streamdeck plugin.
Just uninstall HWinfo today, get you posted.
Why using such very old version of HWiNFO and not try the latest one?

Back