LCD Smartie plug-in for HWiNFO

ok, I'm doing some test, but I don't understand how to create hwinfo_sensors.txt. I start HWInfo, and now I have CPU Temp in the tray bar, and I start LCD Smartie, but any file is created in the plugin folder. Where am I wrong?

I try to use this command on the LCD Smartie panel: $dll(hwinfo,1,1,)

But I receive the message on the display: "DLL: can not load plugin"

Please, read MSDN answer :

Search Path Used by Windows to Locate a DLL

With both implicit and explicit linking, Windows first searches for "known DLLs", such as Kernel32.dll and User32.dll. Windows then searches for the DLLs in the following sequence:

The directory where the executable module for the current process is located.

The current directory.

The Windows system directory. The GetSystemDirectory function retrieves the path of this directory.

The Windows directory. The GetWindowsDirectory function retrieves the path of this directory.

The directories listed in the PATH environment variable.

Note

The LIBPATH environment variable is not used.

Hello
For a few days there have been difficulties with my Antivirus-Program. The file DNBridge.dll which I use in the folder of LCDSmartie is detected as a Backdoor-Trojan.
Can I ignore this? I checked the file online and there are several online-scanners which marks the DLL as corrupt.

Thank you for your comment!
Daniel

Thought I'd use my lcd display in my brothers machine as I haven't used it for a long time.

Got it all installed, put the required files into the plugins folder and started hwinfo64 but no sensor txt file is created.

Using Windows 10, tried some ancient versions of hwinfo and running as admin,win 7 compatibility mode but no luck.

Is there any way to get lcd smartie and hwinfo working together on newer
versions of Windows?

Thanks.

I've been using LCD Smartie with Speedfan for years and have switched to HWInfo64. The problem that I am having is that the shared memory is not working in Windows 10. When I load a temp sensor into LCD Smartie I get an error:

"HWInfo not running or Shared mem disabled"

I have checked the shared memory box in the program. Is there something in Windows 10 that could be blocking this feature? If so, is there a workaround?

HWInfo not running or Shared mem disabled
Please keep "Sensors" window open while reading sensors. After info is loaded in any app accessing HWInfo shared memory you can close sensors window. Sensor readind will be working with closed Sensors window.
In case of this plugin what I've done:
1) Copy plugin dlls to LCD Smartie plugins folder
2) Edit hwinfo.ini of this plugin, e.g. set False to Show Labels, or change Sensor Refresh interval
2) Run HWInfo
3) Open HWInfo Sensors window
4) Open LCD Smartie settings
5) (you can skip to step 9.) Add "$dll(hwinfo,4,,)" to any line of Screens Settings area
6) Click Apply button
7) Sensors txt file is created
8) Now you can close Sensors window of HWInfo, remove $dll(hwinfo,4,,)
9) Add $dll(hwinfo,1,sensor address,) you wanted (if you skipped here from step 5, then just use $dll(hwinfo,1,sensor label,) where sensor label is your custom name of sensor, or default if you have not changed it in HWInfo sensors window. If label is not unique, then go to Sensors window of HWInfo, right-click the sensor, select Customize values..., change Label > Current to something unique and click Rename nearby. Then you your custom unique label in LCD Smartie.

Last edited:
The plugin is reading different sensor ids depending on what is connected on pc.
This is fixed in Rainmeter plugin:
  • Sensor IDs updated to utilize HWiNFO's internal ID scheme. This helps ensure hardware IDs do not change due to new hardware events (adding a USB hard drive for example).
Is there a fix for lcdsmartie plugin? Cause on every reboot if an usb stick is connected for example the ids will be different.

Cause on every reboot if an usb stick is connected for example the ids will be different.
Does not this help that you can use either $dll(hwinfo,1,Total CPU Usage,) or $dll(hwinfo,1,52,) for example if you have the line in "hwinfo_Sensors.txt": [52]Total CPU Usage
I am not able to reproduce different order with USB flash-drive. But after I've changed the sensor order manually in HWInfo then LCD Smartie $dll(hwinfo,1,52,) shows wrong reading, but $dll(hwinfo,1,Total CPU Usage,) persists correct.

So you can also use the label of the sensor except the id??? XD
I've been dealing with this 4 years now until your post.
A million thanks!

I was able to get it running when I discovered that I have to Enable "Shared Memory Support" in HWiNFO64 v7.02-4430.

Beside of that it does not display the sensor values.

For example $dll(hwinfo,1,Total CPU Usage,) results in Total CPU Usage: %
I try different sensors and none of themgave me any values

Already tried to run LCD Smartie as administrator but nothing chages.

Any ideas what I can try ?

I usually got an error in LCD smartie output. E.g. when sensor is not found of its name is ambigous and I have to rename sensor in HWInfo. So it is hard to get what is wrong with your setup, but try following:
1st, HWinfo64 is monetizing and they made shared memory a "trial" feature. Free for 45mins (afaik) 12 hours (sorry for my mistake), then you need to turn it on again manually. But it will be shown in plugin output. So I think it is not your issue.
2nd, check you have a hwinfo_Sensors.txt file with list of sensors in \LCD_Smartie\plugins folder (near the plugin .dll)
3rd, try to open HWInfo Sensor window and do not close, then put $dll(hwinfo,4,,) (Creates and opens hwinfo_Sensors.txt) in LCD Smartie setup. Put it in the Screen settings field and click Apply button. Check if txt file is opened.
4rd, check hwinfo.ini settings in \LCD_Smartie\plugins folder. Part of my settings below:
[Settings]
Sensor Refresh interval (ms) <2000>
Loop Mode interval (ms) <2000>
Show Labels <False>
Show Values <True>
Show Units <False>

[Result Formatting]
Limit result to length <False>
- Length <16>
- and pad short Labels <True>
Label suffix <:>
Space between Label and Value <1>
Space between Value and Unit <0>
All upper case <False>
Offline sensor value <-->
- Hide Units if offline <False>
Convert fan RPM to ON/OFF <False>

Last edited:
Free for 45mins (afaik)

Where did you get that nonsense? It's 12 hour limit, described in dozens of threads and on the main page.
If I recall right the problem with LCD Smartie was that it's not maintained for several years (created by a different person) and it was using a quite old interface and not updated for a new one. It had issues even with HWiNFO versions prior to 7.00.

Hello all, sorry I haven't checked in here for some time and wasn't aware of any issues.
I'm looking into it and will have an update shortly.

Hello
For a few days there have been difficulties with my Antivirus-Program. The file DNBridge.dll which I use in the folder of LCDSmartie is detected as a Backdoor-Trojan.
Can I ignore this? I checked the file online and there are several online-scanners which marks the DLL as corrupt.

Thank you for your comment!
Daniel
I got a false positive from anti-virus for DNBridge.dll myself, straight after I compiled it from LCD Smarties source code.
They made changes to it years ago to fix a character encoding bug but never distributed the new binary with LCD Smartie releases.
I agree it's unnerving but I don't see anything sinister in the source, however if you're uncomfortable with it you can always use the original shipped with LCD Smartie. It has a bug which messes up some characters such as the degree symbol.
Windows Defender is not flagging DNBridge.dll currently.

Thought I'd use my lcd display in my brothers machine as I haven't used it for a long time.

Got it all installed, put the required files into the plugins folder and started hwinfo64 but no sensor txt file is created.

Using Windows 10, tried some ancient versions of hwinfo and running as admin,win 7 compatibility mode but no luck.

Is there any way to get lcd smartie and hwinfo working together on newer
versions of Windows?

Thanks.
I made a small update which should resolve some issues on current Windows versions.
User data: hwinfo.ini, hwinfo_Sensors.txt and hwinfo_LoopSensors.txt is now stored in App Data folder: 'C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\LCD Smartie\plugins\hwinfo'.

I've been using LCD Smartie with Speedfan for years and have switched to HWInfo64. The problem that I am having is that the shared memory is not working in Windows 10. When I load a temp sensor into LCD Smartie I get an error:

"HWInfo not running or Shared mem disabled"

I have checked the shared memory box in the program. Is there something in Windows 10 that could be blocking this feature? If so, is there a workaround?
This error indicates an exception occurred while trying to read HWiNFO's shared memory.
It generally suggests that HWiNFO is not running or the shared memory is not enabled.
It's difficult to display more detail for errors on a possibly only 16 character display, I should probably have implemented error logging. This was I think only my second coding project at the time.
I'm not sure what else could have caused it. Works fine on Win 10 for me.
If I can spare a bit of time in next few days I may add some basic error logging...

The plugin is reading different sensor ids depending on what is connected on pc.
This is fixed in Rainmeter plugin:
  • Sensor IDs updated to utilize HWiNFO's internal ID scheme. This helps ensure hardware IDs do not change due to new hardware events (adding a USB hard drive for example).
Is there a fix for lcdsmartie plugin? Cause on every reboot if an usb stick is connected for example the ids will be different.
I don't have control of sensor id's. They are assigned by HWiNFO itself. The id's are useful as shorthand identifiers for your required sensor, but as @zhindetz said (thank you) you can also use the full name of the sensor or the 'group|type|name' syntax as a workaround for changing id's.

@Martin, Is there a new field for an internal id in HWiNFO's shared memory interface?
I looked at the Rainmeter plugin page and it seems to suggest two different hex value id fields are used.
It may not be worthwhile implementing given a valid workaround of using label's as id in Smartie plugin and possible fringe case for the issue, but I'm interested nonetheless....

Does not this help that you can use either $dll(hwinfo,1,Total CPU Usage,) or $dll(hwinfo,1,52,) for example if you have the line in "hwinfo_Sensors.txt": [52]Total CPU Usage
I am not able to reproduce different order with USB flash-drive. But after I've changed the sensor order manually in HWInfo then LCD Smartie $dll(hwinfo,1,52,) shows wrong reading, but $dll(hwinfo,1,Total CPU Usage,) persists correct.
Thank you for your help here.

I was able to get it running when I discovered that I have to Enable "Shared Memory Support" in HWiNFO64 v7.02-4430.

Beside of that it does not display the sensor values.

For example $dll(hwinfo,1,Total CPU Usage,) results in Total CPU Usage: %
I try different sensors and none of themgave me any values

Already tried to run LCD Smartie as administrator but nothing chages.

That's odd to get not even an error message of some kind. Have you tried using just a sensor id value?
Hopefully the updated version below will resolve this. See how we go...

Welcome back after long time :)
Thanks Martin, hope all is well. :)

Update: Version 1.0.3 (testing...)

Changelog:
Program data files: hwinfo.ini, hwinfo_Sensors.txt, hwinfo_LoopSensors.txt now located in App Data directory: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\LCD Smartie\plugins\hwinfo

The new test version should seamlessly move your settings over to the app data folder. Just need to replace hwinfo.dll in LCD Smartie's plugins folder.
If all goes well I'll update the first post with the new version.

Edit: Updated first post with new version.

Last edited:
Back