Program crash on "flushing buffers" while vmware has a vm running

mazzinia

First of all, I'm sorry I am unable to provide the required log files.
This said I incurred in this issue :

System : Dell T7820, dual xeon silver, C621 chipset
VRock nvme pci-e setup (sas nvme + u.2 supported ) , + onboard sata to 2 hdds

vmware 15.5.2 running , vm launched
qbittorrent running (but I don't think it matters, it was running other times when I used hwinfo. what was not running at the same time was vmware)

Launched the last stable version of hwinfo, and it got stuck on "flushing buffers".
No way to kill the process, locked.

Vmware side, then, the vm stopped responding, and subsequently vmware crashed.

Tried restarting windows ( windows 10 , 2004 , pro for workstations ), and the restart process hanged with the hdd light solid on. An hard power reset resulted in no data loss, but I'm not keen on replicating it in case i get less lucky.

I think vmware / the vm locked some buffers, the same that hwinfo flushes always on start, and both locked each other to death

Last edited:
Flushing buffers is a standard operation, so no application should hang while doing this. You can disable this in main settings of HWiNFO ("Flush Buffers on Start" option).
Anyway, I don't recommend running HWiNFO under a virtual machine as the VM can block access to hardware or virtualize the devices, so no application has access to real hardware.

Same problem here, I am using vmware workstation pro. I have hyper-v installed, so vmware is using that. I can't open hwinfo, it gets stuck on flushing buffers.
I am on a 10850k, msi z490 a pro.
Win10 x64

I don't think that Hyper-V is the culprit ( my VMware workstation pro is version 15.5 and is using the VMware hypervisor, Hyper-V is not installed ). To use Hyper-V ... you are on 16.0 of vmware workstation, isn't it ? Or the discriminant was to have the Win10 release past 2004 ?

Hello,

to be honest I have not tried to recreate the issue, and this means also have the same programs running + trying sync. Reason is... i don't want to risk any corruption in case of bad luck. Accidental issue : ok . Looking for a lightning to fall down on a production machine : nope.

Back