Remove Windows 10 Bloat

I tried the procedure now and it works for me - after a few seconds the search comes back.
Please check in C:\Windows\SystemApps\
if you see a folder called "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" or "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.bak".

I see the directory Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy it contains Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.bak but still clicking on the search icon or windows-s does not bring up search dialog. it is also not shown in start menu - and cortona settings does not load in control panel...

Thanks, Tom

Hm, so there's Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.bak beneath it ? That's not OK.
Please select all files and folders in "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.bak" and move them up, so they will end up in:
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
Then go into that folder and launch SearchUI.exe

I had a lot of error messages saying that I cannot move the system files so I copied them. There was still one error at the end. I hope this will not screw things up but the search window now shows...

Hey thank you for the script.

unfortunately for me after applying it, SpeedFan stops showing fan speed controls. i discovered that this caused the issue after restoring my system with windows restore point, because the undo script didn't fixed.

Just displays the RemoveW10Bloat.htm even if I "Copy the link address" of the script/txt into a new tab.

Are you straight clicking on the txt file, or using Save-As ?
Can you try a different browser ?
If nothing works for you I can attach the file here.

I went easy - banned a bunch of "favorite" IP in IPFw on the router - pulled advertising juvenile boobies from the neighboring network. Especially zealous Yankees and schoolboys yes if they have nothing to activities. Incidentally IP Skype's advertising ban also makes sense - less garbage flashed before my eyes. :) Less advertising - sleep tight. And mothers do not have to dignify one - and then anyone awake overlaid seven floors and it will belle maman. Clearly offended and caress a frying pan. :)

Yes, banning apps.skype.com (inserting into Restricted sites in IE) will get rid of the ads in Skype ;)

Involved for Skype hosts and IP:

Update skype:

download.skype.com

Name: a1306.cl.akamai.net

Alias ​​# 1: download.skype.com
Alias ​​# 2: download-akm.skype.com.edgesuite.net

IP Address # 1: 80.239.250.210
IP Address # 2: 80.239.250.188

display advertising:

rad.msn.com:

Name: rad.msn.com.nsatc.net

Alias ​​# 1: rad.msn.com

IP Address # 1: 207.46.194.25

Skype Home page in compact mode:

ad-emea.doubleclick.net

Name: dart.l.doubleclick.net
Alias ​​# 1: ad-emea.doubleclick.net

IP Address # 1: 173.194.71.149
IP Address # 2: 173.194.71.148

apps.skype.com

Name: e4593.g.akamaiedge.net
Alias ​​# 1: apps.skype.com
Alias ​​# 2: wildcard.skype.com.edgekey.net

IP Address # 1: 92.123.151.113

secure.skypeassets.com

Name: e7766.b.akamaiedge.net
Alias ​​# 1: secure.skypeassets.com
Alias ​​# 2: secure.skypeassets.com.edgekey.net
Alias ​​# 3: secure.skypeassets.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net

IP Address # 1: 23.13.43.136

doing this deletes all the files i have in the OneDrive folders? becuz i think it deleted all my files i had in those folders lol

Hi. Brand new here and looking for some help now with the batch file the was given in the OP. I ran it in hopes of getting rid of some lags spikes I was seeing but realized after that Cortana/SearchUI.exe is actually kind of hand. I used the steps above about going into C:WIN/SYSAPPS (shortened) and coping the files from the xxx.cortana.bak (shortened) file into the folder that is not .bak. The main folder was not there so I remade it as described here without the .bak extension. Did this and ran searchUI.exe as administrator but the search bar will not show up. I have restarted my laptop several times just to make sure, but nothing as of yet. It's not 'that" important to get the search bar back,but it is handy. Any ideas?

Win 10 build 1511 x64

I'm not sure what exactly happened there and what steps you performed. Actually after running the remove script, you should have all Cortana files in *cortana.bak and it should be sufficient to just rename this folder by removing the ".bak" and launch it. You should then see the SearchUI.exe in Task Manager's list (Details).
If you press the Win+S key, does the search appear ? If yes, then it's possible that the search box is just hidden from the task bar: right-click on task bar - Search > ...
If that doesn't work, something failed in the middle and best would be to reinstall Cortana.

Martin said:
I'm not sure what exactly happened there and what steps you performed. Actually after running the remove script, you should have all Cortana files in *cortana.bak and it should be sufficient to just rename this folder by removing the ".bak" and launch it. You should then see the SearchUI.exe in Task Manager's list (Details).
If you press the Win+S key, does the search appear ? If yes, then it's possible that the search box is just hidden from the task bar: right-click on task bar - Search > ...
If that doesn't work, something failed in the middle and best would be to reinstall Cortana.

:p
thanks. It was hidden. it works perfectly now.

REM The stubborn task Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackgroundUploadTask can be Disabled using a simple bit change. I use a REG file for that (attached to this post).
=========================
Hi !
How to disable Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackgroundUploadTask ?
I didnt find the reg file you mentioned.

Back