Remove Windows 10 Bloat

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I have created a single batch file to remove most of the Windows 10 stuff that causes privacy concerns (tracking, apps, etc).
It's available here: http://www.hwinfo.com/misc/RemoveW10Bloat.htm
It's compiled from several sources and my own research.
Some items are commented out, so check the file and change what you need. Some users might prefer to remove the items from the "NOW JUST SOME TWEAKS" section, as this makes some changes suitable for advanced users (i.e. ShowSuperHidden).

Thank you so much for this batch file!! I very much appreciate it :)

Renaming the Cortana folder also disabled the Windows Search (Win + Q / Win + S) on my PC (Windows 10 Build 10240).
Changing "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.bak" to its original name fixed the issue.

Unfortunately I haven't found another way to disable Cortana and I thought that some users don't want the Windows Search either.
Note, that the Windows Search is also disabled using these commands in the script: "sc stop WSearch" "sc config WSearch start= disabled", so you might need to change the service start if needed.

Hello Martin,

Super script. I hoped that removing OneDrive would cure the nasty problem with my network bluray player - but is persists. Under Windows 7 I had to remove all components of Windows Live (Essentials) to be able to connect to and access my shared folders using my LG BD390. It seems possible that the problem was caused by the Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant - and this culprit was installed with any of the Windows Live components including the Messenger. In Windows 10 this component seems to be integrated into the system and prevents me from seeing and accessing my shared folders despite the fact that I setup all sharing settings correctly. I only see the name of my PC as the file server but none of the shared folders is displayed...

I would appreciate if you have any idea...

Thanks in advance - and greetings from Michigan!

Tom :huh: :huh:

I'm sorry, but I don't have an idea. But my rough guess is that this is rather an issue of proper settings.

Thanks for the nifty .bat!

However I have a few concerns. After you run the script, four error events occur in the event viewer, that possibly could be troublesome?
1:The Contact Data_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

2:The Sync Host_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

3:The User Data Access_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

4:The User Data Storage_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

My concern is, not that I want those services, but what if they keep trying to continuely restart? That would be a big waste of resources. Is that any concern? Any way to stop that from occuring? Or to stop those event errors from appearing at all?

Or what are the lines in the .bat to just re-enable those four services specifically? Could be very helpful.
Thank you!

I have checked, but cannot see such events in my log.
I have also searched about those errors and it seems that a lot of users get them, but users which haven't run my script. So I don't think it's related to it.
Do you see those those messages to repeat every 10 seconds in the log ? If yes, you might try to stop the respective services (via Task Manager), or set their startup to disabled in Services.

Thanks Martin,

Pass 20 minutes Ive been doing research on those services. I used different things on my machine that could of done those errors. Its possible it wasnt your script. However,
Im leaning on the side it was this script. Again though, its very possible it wasnt. I do use other programs to turn off useless windows 10 bloat. But im about 75% I didnt receive those event errors before your script.

I dont see those messages in the event viewer repeating, so maybe they arent trying to restart? I dont know.

The interesting thing is, I dont see any of those services in the list. Not one. For instance, the Contact Data_Session1 could be:
Display name: Contact Data_Session1
Service name: PimIndexMaintenanceSvc_Session1

I dont see any of that in the service list. Also, all four of the previous posted services, I dont see in the services list itself. I find that strange.

update: im going to try to restore those four services only. Then Im going to turn your bat again to see if the errors occur.

Give me a bit of time

Update at 740 EST: I managed to restart those services with some bats. (Interestingly, I still dont know what those services are in the services.msc list)
I received no errors, from those listed. I will now run your .bat, and restart pc to see if errors re-occur.

After restarting those services, then re-applying your bat, I again did receive the errors listed before. They are the same errors I posted above. Just for reference too here is a picture of them:
http://imgur.com/SvioOQm

Im not terribly concerned with those errors. If they arent repeating themselves, Im fine with it. I do not see the errors to occur when the PC is on. They only happen on login.
As long as they arent re-occuring its no biggy. But, Im not 100% certain if they arent repeating. If they are, this is a serious thing. Either way im about 99% certain these errors happened from your .bat.

I want to add as well, Im not super tech savy. I do use other programs to rid windows 10 of things I do not want. There may of been some conflict, changes of some sort with the other program settings I used.

After some restarts, I have NO idea why this happened, but the only error left is:
The Sync Host_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

I have a bat file to restore that service, ive no idea what it actually is in the services.msc, but again, thats the only error left. I dont know whats going on.

Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, at the first look, I cannot see them in the service manager. They all belong to the "UnistackSvcGroup". I keep checking further...

OK, so the relevant services are:

Code:
PimIndexMaintenanceSvc
PimIndexMaintenanceSvc_Session1

OneSyncSvc
OneSyncSvc_Session1

UserDataSvc
UserDataSvc_Session1

UnistoreSvc
UnistoreSvc_Session1

There seem to be 2 instances of each (1st and 2nd column).
Not sure about what exactly they do, but it seems they are used for synchronization (OneDrive), Contacts indexing and some Accounts.
It should be possible to disable them by running:
Code:
sc config SVC_NAME start= disabled

where SVC_NAME is the service name listed above.
I'm thinking whether to add those for remove in the script.

I wanted to post a fast update. I had to edit this post. Things keep changing with the Sync Host_Session1. Sometimes the error occurs, other times it doesnt. I know how to re-enable that service with a bat I made. After I do that, the error never occurs. Also, one thing I can say with certainty the error doesnt keep re-occuring. Even though it says it will try in 1000ms. So not a big deal. Too, now, Im not what caused those errors. I do use other programs to get rid of Win10 bloat. I probably wasnt this exact script. But I do not know.

Either way, thanks Martin for the script! I already gave it two other friends, its useful!

Martin said:
I have created a single batch file to remove most of the Windows 10 stuff that causes privacy concerns (tracking, apps, etc).
It's available here: http://www.hwinfo.com/misc/RemoveW10Bloat.htm
It's compiled from several sources and my own research.
Some items are commented out, so check the file and change what you need. Some users might prefer to remove the items from the "NOW JUST SOME TWEAKS" section, as this makes some changes suitable for advanced users (i.e. ShowSuperHidden).
how do i use your script i believe it will solve my problem with windows search using all my process power. plz help my i cant get rid of this shit.

It's described on that page - download the file, rename it to remove the ".txt" (so that the file is called "RemoveW10Bloat.bat") and launch as Administrator.

Hi, came across this elsewhere and appreciate it. I just was wondering, after I used it regular Windows search ceased to work. As in clicking Windows Start and then just typing. In the Cortana section of the batch it mentions it is still there. Is it that connected to Cortana that fully disabling it disables search as well? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Otherwise, good stuff. Thanks again!

Hi,

Because I wanted recent files and search windows back, I used the PutBackW10Bloat script but without success. How can I manually enable these functions - and maybe select what I want to unbloat.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Back