VR Thermal Alert question

andreacos92

Hi, I have an Asus ROG notebook with a i7-4710HQ and latest version of HWiNFO64.

CPU is Haswell, so with the integrate voltage regulatore FIVR.
I OCced to 3.7 an all 4 cores and during stress test with AVX2 (AIDA64 FPU for example), after some minutes I notice some throttling caused by VR thermal limit.
In these conditions, Max Power is above 80W, so it's quite normale for a CPU of 47W TPU.

HWiNFO shows IA: VR Thermal Alert and RING: VR Thermal Alert on Yes.

My question: is it the VRMs on the motherboard or the integrated FIVR on the CPU package that hits the VR thermal limit?

Thanks in advance  ;)

Well, this is a good question :) Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a good answer in Intel documents.
My guess would be the FIVR, but the discrete VR on mainboard is also able to signalize an alert, so not 100% sure about that. It's also possible that both alerts are summed.
Intel's support might give a better answer to this...

Thank you, I will ask on the Intel community then.
I want to try to keep these VRMs a little bit cooler, so I want to know where they are  :)

Hi Martin, I come back to report what Intel Support has replied to me  ;)

[font=intel-clear, arial, helvetica,]"We cannot confirm which VRMs those tools are identifying since none of the mentioned are an official Intel tool. You will need to confirm with their repective developing teams, the answer could be related to the code they use to flag the VR thermal limit."[/font]

Any idea?

Back