Where on the GPU is the reading for GPU Memory Junction Temperature located?

tombox

My brother has a 3080 ti strix, and I'm interested in learning where the reading for GPU Memory Junction Temperature is located—is it on the front side where the GPU die is located or is on the back of the GPU?

This is the hottest internal temperature (inside silicon) among all GPU memory chips.

This is the hottest internal temperature (inside silicon) among all GPU memory chips.
Thanks for the reply. I changed thermal pads on both sides of my brother's GPU, and I saw GPU memory Junction Temperature go up. Can you please look at the picture and let me know which side affects GPU memory junction temperature? Is it the front (1) or back (2)? I'm trying to figure out which thermal pads to replace.

Attachments

• BeFunky-collage.jpg
    BeFunky-collage.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 5
Sorry for necroing here.
Id just like to ask if this is this still the case?
Using an RX 6700 XT I see the description says its the "Average Junction temperature of GPU memory" - HWinfo64 V7.20-4700
Thanks in advanced.

Sorry for necroing here.
Id just like to ask if this is this still the case?
Using an RX 6700 XT I see the description says its the "Average Junction temperature of GPU memory" - HWinfo64 V7.20-4700
Thanks in advanced.

AMD is reporting the temperatures in a different way. Are you asking about the GPU hotspot or GPU memory temperature or something else?

AMD is reporting the temperatures in a different way. Are you asking about the GPU hotspot or GPU memory temperature or something else?
Thanks for the reply, Im looking at the "GPU memory junction temperature" (RX 6700XT), just curious as to whether it's the hottest chip as mentioned above or the average as stated in the description.

1659293965972.png

AMD says this should be the average temperature. There might be a way to read the hottest memory chip temperature, which I will explore after my vacation (finally).

AMD says this should be the average temperature. There might be a way to read the hottest memory chip temperature, which I will explore after my vacation (finally).

Awesome! thanks confirming, also that would be a great feature to add - and much appreciated. Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks! Still on vacation but I couldn't resist and prepared a new build that I couldn't test, but believe it should be doing what's expected.
I added a new sensor value "GPU Memory Junction Temperature (Max)" that will report the maximum memory junction temperature among all chips.
Please try this build and let me know: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_727_4832.zip

Hi Martin. Thanks a million for doing this whilst on holiday, ur a legend!
Unfortunately I do not see the sensor "GPU Memory Junction Temperature (Max)", I have made sure all values are shown under layout and performed a layout reset just to make sure everything is showing.
The same GPU Memory Junction Temperature is still there (Showing the average as described) below is a screenshot from the build linked.

1659386501071.png

I have checked under other sensors to see if the new one might be there but am not able to see it.
Again, thanks for the work, it's highly appreciated!

Sorry, I noticed a bug preventing this from showing up. Please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_727_4833.zip
Hi Martin,

Thanks again, the new build 4.27-4833 still doesn't seem to show the "GPU Memory Junction Temperature (Max)" reading, seen below. I'm not sure if it matters but perhaps the sensor isn't made available on my card? I have the "XFX Speedster SWFT 309 RX 6700XT ", running windows 10 21H2 (Build 19044.1865) and using the latest AMD drivers: "Adrenalin 22.7.1 Optional".
If there is any other information that I could provide to assist please let me know.
1659457707963.png

The feature would be really nice to have, however I don't want to intrude on your vacation.
Thanks a million though, it's much appreciated!

It should be available on your GPU, but requires later drivers/firmware for the GPU. Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File so I can check whether those conditions are met.

It should be available on your GPU, but requires later drivers/firmware for the GPU. Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File so I can check whether those conditions are met.
I hope I've done this correctly (settings -> safety -> debug mode checked, Run sensors-only - checked to see if said sensor appears, then close hwinfo), attached is the DBG file generated.
If the firmware is not up to date, I unfortunately don't see any official xfx provided update utility, the vbios version (gpu-z) also shows the same as that uploaded to the techpowerup site.
Hope this helps and is correct.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG.7z
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks. The firmware is OK, in fact it's newer than HWiNFO expected. I adjusted for this, try: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_727_4834.zip
It appears! seen below;
However I think the (max) and normal (average) value have possibly been set to match. The build you just provided (4834) shows this for eg (running a quick shadow of the tomb raider bench)
As can be seen the values are identical.
I've also attached the debug file for this build as well. (On a side note I do use MSI Afterburner to run a more aggressive fan curve (UV+OC), the stock curve is just a joke imo, hopefully this doesn't interfere with the tests)
1659461458348.png
again, Thanks for the work!

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG.7z
    130.3 KB · Views: 1
Well, that really looks like the Max matches the value supposed to be the average.
I'm pretty sure that the Max value is giving the max as HWiNFO is here going thru temperatures of all memory banks and chooses the maximum one. That would mean the average (as described by AMD) is in fact the maximum, so I might remove this duplicate item.

Back