Why is hwinfo.exe using up a lot of upload according to Resource Monitor?

hwinfo.exe is not our software. It might be some process included in CAM software. Check the version info of that file and contact the respective vendor.

hwinfo.exe is not our software. It might be some process included in CAM software. Check the version info of that file and contact the respective vendor.

Thank you. I have no idea what it is still. Stopping and quitting the CAM service still keeps it running.

Well, try to find this hwinfo.exe and check its properties to (hopefully) find which vendor it belongs to. It should be possible to open the file's properties directly via right-clicking on the process in Windows Task Manager. While at it, check the user it's running under; if it's SYSTEM or similar, it's probably a service.

Regards
Dalai

I have done further testing and I am pretty sure this is related to HWinfo. I reinstalled HWinfo. The hwinfo.exe was not in my resource monitor. Then I turned HWinfo on and it started again. Even right clicking it and ending process would not help. It was not until I quit HWinfo that it went away finally. Sadly I will not continue using HWinfo if this is the case. It makes it so that I can't stream and play games at the same time. Very lame that you are using so much upload bandwidth. Ridiculous really. What the heck are you uploading? It takes as much as streaming to twitch takes!!!

1. How many times should I tell you that HWINFO.EXE is not a process belonging to our software? Do us a favor and find the HWINFO.EXE file on your system and then check its properties/details.
2. Download the official HWiNFO package from our site and you'll see that the processes are called HWiNFO32.EXE or HWiNFO64.EXE ?
3. Our tools DO NOT upload anything via internet.

Is this sufficient, or you'll continue to blame us for something unrelated just because you didn't check properly?

Good Lord. You're a staff member? And you talk to users that way? Very condescending way to treat your users.

I have resource monitor open. I turn on hwinfo. Then on resource monitor hwinfo.exe pops up. I quit hwinfo. hwinfo.exe goes away from my resource monitor where it was uploading a bunch of data. You're saying this was just coincidence?

I have resource monitor open. I turn on hwinfo. Then on resource monitor hwinfo.exe pops up. I quit hwinfo. hwinfo.exe goes away from my resource monitor where it was uploading a bunch of data. You're saying this was just coincidence?
I don't doubt what you say. But here's the deal: Martin is right, regardless of how he phrased his answer (which is a bit harsh IMO).

HWiNFO, the tool this website and forum is all about, doesn't have a process/executable named "hwinfo.exe", only "HWiNFO32.exe" or "HWiNFO64.exe". So, the question is: Where did you download HWiNFO from? And where is the "hwinfo.exe" located on your system, and what does it say about the vendor in its properties? Reinstalling the program from the same download won't change anything. Checking the file's properties and telling us the result and where you downloaded HWiNFO from is simple enough, isn't it?

Regards
Dalai

I cannot find hwinfo.exe on my computer. Do you have a suggestion on how I can better search it?

I downloaded it from here:

Also, is this information outdated?

"HWiNFO.exe is an executable file that is part of the Driver Booster program developed by IObit. The software is usually about 650.74 MB in size."

I am going to run some tests again and post my results here.

I have a fresh restarted computer. I have stopped many extra services and background apps. hwinfo.exe is not running in Process monitor.
I am now going to open HWinfo...

hwinfo.exe is now running and is in my running process list.

You're calling this coincidence still?

If you don't believe me I will screen record and send you a video of the above described process.

Please note it is sending about 105,000 B/sec. This is my biggest concern. It hogs upload bandwidth which gets in the way of streaming while gaming.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-16 103324.png
    Annotation 2020-04-16 103324.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 2
Part 2 of test. I am now going to close hwinfo.exe and see if the process goes away.

I closed HWinfo... The B/sec is steadily dropping....
etc etc

60 seconds later and it has settled an average of 20,500 B/sec

Weird.

I right clicked the hwinfo.exe and clicked End Process Tree. This made ANOTHER hwinfo.exe pop up to replace the now continously diminishing hwinfo.exe

Strange.

If you any other suggestions or ideas I'll gladly explore them. I just want a temperature and resource monitor that I can use while gaming and streaming. I liked this one because it integrates with my stream deck very well.

I investigated further. I think it has something to do with the Streamdeck Apps. You can install mini apps inside of it:

I will try contacting streamdeck and tell them about this strange app they are letting inside their device. I would suggest someone from your team do the same. It is very lame they use your branding to mislead users.

Ah, yes, that explains it. Inside the file "com.exension.hwinfo.streamDeckPlugin" (which is just a ZIP archive) there's a hwinfo.exe. Weird to use such name when "com.exension.hwinfo.exe" would've made it clearer IMO.

Well, you should find out where the data is sent because it's possible that hwinfo.exe only opens a localhost connection. You can use e.g. Sysinternals Process Explorer or NirSoft CurrPorts for this. This should be done before blaming anyone else. It's perhaps also a good idea to ask Streamdeck what this is all about, where the data is sent and which data it sent.

Regards
Dalai

I'm sorry for my harsh answer, but sometimes I have to respond to tons of same questions over and over again. Sometimes users come with really crazy demands (even though they don't have to pay a penny for anything) or sometimes they don't listen to what I say and keep insisting on their point of view. I try to answer and help with everything I can, but this was a case which I don't feel responsible for, nor any reason to be blamed for.

Ah, yes, that explains it. Inside the file "com.exension.hwinfo.streamDeckPlugin" (which is just a ZIP archive) there's a hwinfo.exe. Weird to use such name when "com.exension.hwinfo.exe" would've made it clearer IMO.

Well, you should find out where the data is sent because it's possible that hwinfo.exe only opens a localhost connection. You can use e.g. Sysinternals Process Explorer or NirSoft CurrPorts for this. This should be done before blaming anyone else. It's perhaps also a good idea to ask Streamdeck what this is all about, where the data is sent and which data it sent.

Regards
Dalai

So you're saying the process says it's sending high amounts of Bits, but not really sending through my network or using Bandwidth to my ISP? Just internal bandwidth? Hmmmm

I'm sorry for my harsh answer, but sometimes I have to respond to tons of same questions over and over again. Sometimes users come with really crazy demands (even though they don't have to pay a penny for anything) or sometimes they don't listen to what I say and keep insisting on their point of view. I try to answer and help with everything I can, but this was a case which I don't feel responsible for, nor any reason to be blamed for.

Apology accepted. I work in Tech Support so I know what it's like. I never blamed you if that's what you think. I hope the IT Gods send patience your way!

So you're saying the process says it's sending high amounts of Bits, but not really sending through my network or using Bandwidth to my ISP? Just internal bandwidth?
Please read my post again. I said it's possible that it's just a localhost connection (within the same PC). That's why I suggested to take a closer look with one of the programs I mentioned - neither of them is complicated to use. Until this is done, it's uncertain whether or not it's an internal or external connection.

Regards
Dalai

Back