Alienware Steam ASM100 (aka Alpha R1) fan control Missing

matcarfer

Hi, I recently discovered that HWiNFO can control fans on Alienware devices and strangely my Alienware Steam ASM100 (aka Alpha R1) is missing fan control. I disabled EC support and fan control appeared, but I fear I may break something as its not "officially" supported. Here I provide the debug file so it may me integrated or fixed in next version. Let me know how can I help more.

I upgraded the machine with Intel i7-4790S (best cpu it can support without downclocking), so temps are rather high.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    668.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Also, when playing with the RPM, I found out that only 3 speeds are available:
CPU: 0 - 1040 - 5200 rpm
GPU: 0- 1420 - 5700 rpm
Is this normal? why cant I select an interval between CPI:1040/5200 and GPU:1420/5700. If fan is 1040/1420 temps are hot, if fan is 5200/5700 temps are down, but sounds like a jet engine!

Last edited:
This is normal, only 3 levels are supported for this system. There are numerous threads about this on this forum.

This is normal, only 3 levels are supported for this system. There are numerous threads about this on this forum.
Ok I understand, now, what about official support? is it feasible? Is there any benefit or I'm good with what I did at disabling EC support?

Thanks for the rapid answer!

Official support? You'd need to ask DELL for that. Everything else is unofficial.
Disabling EC support is just an option how to get the DELL fan control in HWiNFO on some systems. It does not disable anything in the system, just determines the method HWiNFO uses.
I'm looking to update this in next build so that disabling EC support won't be required for such systems and fan control will be shown automatically.

Official support? You'd need to ask DELL for that. Everything else is unofficial.
Disabling EC support is just an option how to get the DELL fan control in HWiNFO on some systems. It does not disable anything in the system, just determines the method HWiNFO uses.
I'm looking to update this in next build so that disabling EC support won't be required for such systems and fan control will be shown automatically.
I meant official HWiNFO support from you! ;) Thanks, that would be great!

Back