ASUS G15 GA502 Ryzen 4900HS RTX2060 HWiNFO is reporting Fan Speeds backwards

KirkH420

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue and if there is anything that I could do to work around this issue. At PC idle speeds/temps and the fan curve left set to allow the device to determine the fan speeds that it needs, under these conditions HWiNFO reports Fan Speed around 735 RPM which seemed pretty normal when I first found that this software was reporting fan speed data. I was really excited to have found a hardware monitor that could read fan speed data at all and on top of that, I could export this data to Rivatuner. And so that's what I did. I got it all set up between MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner and set about doing some testing. As soon as the fan speeds begin to rise above idle, I noticed that the 735 RPM was counting down towards zero. The faster the fans go, the lower the number gets. I started thinking, maybe this isn't really an RPM reading and maybe it's reading something like a ground-side voltage drop in millivolt format but I don't know. HWiNFO actually shows that there is a second Fan widget called Fan2, the first is just called "CPU" and they are under the same category "ACPI: ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15..." They each have a fan icon next to them and they each report RPM. They are also synchronized, so of course they both count down as fan speed increases.

I tried entering some basic math hoping I could just somehow flip that number so that it reports the correct direction, but lol math has never been my strong suit and I haven't come up with a formula that does anything useful.

I made some screen clips that show what I'm talking about and I took a screenshot of HWiNFO to show my system specs, if that helps.

It could be that I'm doing something wrong or misunderstanding what I think I'm reading, or maybe there's some bug related to my hardware and this software. I would really like it if I could use this software to monitor my fan(s) because as I mentioned, so far this is the only software that I've found that's reporting anything for Fanspeed on this machine (Asus G15 Zephyrus GA502IV Ryzen 4900HS w/ RTX 2060 Max-Q, Windows 10 LTSC 21H2 Build 19044.1526). Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read about my problems.

Attachments

• Fanspeed-paste.jpg
    Fanspeed-paste.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 19
  • HWiNFO.jpg
    HWiNFO.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 18
The problem here is that notebooks use proprietary methods for controlling and monitoring fan speeds, so reporting this data requires dedicated knowledge of each vendor/model.
In this case HWiNFO attempts to read this data via ACPI, which however is not always correct. In this case the values reported seem to be an inverse of the RPM value, but adjust this would be tricky.
HWiNFO has also dedicated support of some ASUS notebooks by reading the fan speeds directly from the Embedded Controller, however your model is currently not on the list. There's some chance that this might be applied to your model too, but to check this, I'd need some data from your system to inspect it:
- The HWiNFO report file (LOG or HTM)
- A dump of the Embedded Controller (EC) made using the RW-Everything Tool. I would need to save the EC data using this tool at two levels - low fan speed and high fan speed
If you can provide this data, I will look into it and see if this can be directly supported in HWiNFO.

The problem here is that notebooks use proprietary methods for controlling and monitoring fan speeds, so reporting this data requires dedicated knowledge of each vendor/model.
In this case HWiNFO attempts to read this data via ACPI, which however is not always correct. In this case the values reported seem to be an inverse of the RPM value, but adjust this would be tricky.
HWiNFO has also dedicated support of some ASUS notebooks by reading the fan speeds directly from the Embedded Controller, however your model is currently not on the list. There's some chance that this might be applied to your model too, but to check this, I'd need some data from your system to inspect it:
- The HWiNFO report file (LOG or HTM)
- A dump of the Embedded Controller (EC) made using the RW-Everything Tool. I would need to save the EC data using this tool at two levels - low fan speed and high fan speed
If you can provide this data, I will look into it and see if this can be directly supported in HWiNFO.
Hi and sorry for intervening in this thread, but I seem to have the exact same problem with my asus vivobook 15 (X512D)
My ASUS app shows 2000-3500 rpm of the fan depending on the CPU temp, and whenever the fan speeds up, hwinfo (ACPI) shows speed-down (from 700 drops to 400 rpm). On the other hand when My ASUS shows ~1000-2000 rpm speed-down, hwinfo shows increase to 600-700 rpm total (around 750-800 is the max. hwinfo shows).
I can send the HWiNFO report in log format, no problem, but I need some help with the RW-Everything tool. Is there a guide on how to dump the EC at two levels?
Thanks

Hi and sorry for intervening in this thread, but I seem to have the exact same problem with my asus vivobook 15 (X512D)
My ASUS app shows 2000-3500 rpm of the fan depending on the CPU temp, and whenever the fan speeds up, hwinfo (ACPI) shows speed-down (from 700 drops to 400 rpm). On the other hand when My ASUS shows ~1000-2000 rpm speed-down, hwinfo shows increase to 600-700 rpm total (around 750-800 is the max. hwinfo shows).
I can send the HWiNFO report in log format, no problem, but I need some help with the RW-Everything tool. Is there a guide on how to dump the EC at two levels?
Thanks

It's easy to use the RW-Everything tool. Just start it and click the EC icon in toolbar that will open a new window. Then in that window click the Save (or Save binary) icon and name the file according to the actual speed reported by ASUS app, so that I know what was the correct fan speed when you exported the data. Also please attach the HWiNFO Report File so I can use that data to properly adjust it for your model.

it seems there is a problem with rw-everything tool in my case. No matter the fan speed, it always produces an all-zeros file (.rw or .bin). You can see this in the picture attached:
ec - rw-everything tool.png

My hwinfo log file:

Attachments

• PROVATO-LAPTOP.rar
    42.3 KB · Views: 1
Hyper-V is already disabled. Here is my windows capabilities screen:
Untitled-1.png

It seems that rw-tool remains stuck at "Starting Embedded controller function...". Maybe because I'm using the portable version??

No, the portable version should have no effect on this.
According to the HWiNFO report file you posted, Hyper-V is active.

Ok, I managed to completely uninstall hyper-V (and every trace of it since I don't use it anymore).
I attached the new hwinfo log file that confirms hyper-v is not there.
Unfortunately the problem with rw-everything still remains - it's stuck at "starting EC function" and shows all-zeroes. So it wasn't hyper-V's fault.
Any other way I can provide you with the info you need? Or maybe a way to solve the rw-everything issue?

Attachments

• PROVATO-LAPTOP.rar
    42.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Well, that might indicate the laptop is not using legacy EC, but some other proprietary interface.
I could try to add dedicated support for this model, but if RW-Everything seems to have a problem, a similar might happen in HWiNFO.

Sorry for the late answer (it was too late at night here), and thank you for taking the time to make this build!
Unfortunately the new fan sensors report 0 rpm all the time.
the hwinfo64.ini file looks like this:
Code:
[Settings]
SensorsSM=1
Lang=en
ShowFans0RPM=1
NegativeTempsOK=1

and the sensor looks like this:
sensors.png
Could it be a different EC address (ec_sc/ec_data)?

Well, that confirms my assumption of EC not being utilized here. Probably some other proprietary method that I don't have information about yet.

Well, you could make another test using the RW Everythinng tool:
- Click the IO Index button
- In that window click the Change Index/Data Port and enter: Index Port=382, Data Port=383
- If the window shows some numbers, please save 2 files at different fan speeds

ok, here are the rw dump files (@ 0, ~2700 and ~3000 rpm):

Attachments

• 0, around 2700 and around 3000 rpm rw dump.rar
    1.3 KB · Views: 3
and here is the 3900-3950 rpm rw dump (I think this is the max fan speed because the CPU was 70 oC and the fan was really loud):

Attachments

• ~3900 rpm Io0382.rar
    484 bytes · Views: 2
Thanks to your efforts, now the fan is recognized and read perfectly (it's synchronized with MyASUS app fan measurements as you can see in the picture:)
Χωρίς τίτλο.png

Once again thank you for taking the time to make this possible!

Back