Asus TUF 3080 OC fan speed issue

insoul8

Hello, I just wanted to post this here and get your thoughts on what might be happening and if it could be explained by how HWiNFO works or if it might be an issue I need to investigate further. I have an Asus TUF 3080 OC and I prefer to set my own fan curve to keep it a bit cooler. The stock behavior keeps the fans off until 50c or 55c and aren't really that aggressive anyway. Even with fans at 100%, they are pretty quiet so i think this is a great model to set a more aggressive curve. I typically use MSI Afterburner for this. With the new 3080, I was indeed able to set my fan curves but when i do and look at the rpm's in HWiNFO, they seem to fluctuate between 0 rpm and the value they should be. They don't ramp up or down, they both (there are really three fans but the left and right are on the same controller so HWiNFO just shows fan 1 and 2) literally fluctuate every few seconds from 0 to say ~850 rpm when set to 40%. I got the same behavior when I tried setting the curve in Asus GPU Tweak as well so it's definitely not something specific to Afterburner. I also noticed the rpms stop fluctuating back to 0 if I set much higher percentages- generally above 50% or 60%. Any idea what may be happening or if it could be a problem? I don't want to cause problems or inadvertently wear out the fan motor somehow becasue it's constantly stopping and starting the motor or something. The fans do appear to be constantly spinning on the card when the curve is set. I'm hoping it might just be something with how HWiNFO might be reading the rpm's on the new 3080's. Thanks for the help!

This seems like an issue with GPU monitoring rather than a hardware failure. We've seen similar issues happening to other values like clock and this behavior is observed on 30xx series only.
If you would attach the HWiNFO Debug File with sensor data capturing the situation I could look deeper into this to be sure.

Will do. Thanks! I was hoping it might just be a monitoring issue that doesn't really carry any further implications.

Indeed, this is a monitoring issue - the GPU driver occasionally reports fan speed as 0. I assume other monitoring tools are affected as well.
An NVIDIA driver update might fix this.

Indeed, this is a monitoring issue - the GPU driver occasionally reports fan speed as 0. I assume other monitoring tools are affected as well.
An NVIDIA driver update might fix this.
Great, I'll keep an eye on it then. Thanks for checking it out.

Back