Can't see Fan control icon in HWinfo on my AW15 Laptop

Sorry, but you probably have the fan speed monitoring disabled in the sensors screen. You will need to enable them so I can see what values they provide.

Martin said:
Sorry, but you probably have the fan speed monitoring disabled in the sensors screen. You will need to enable them so I can see what values they provide.

in the game dbg or the speedfan dbg?

Previous Alienware models were controlling both fan speeds via a single command, but this seems to be different here.
I'm afraid, I don't have (yet) information how to set the speed of the 2nd fan :(

Martin said:
Previous Alienware models were controlling both fan speeds via a single command, but this seems to be different here.
I'm afraid, I don't have (yet) information how to set the speed of the 2nd fan :(

Well at least I have one functioning fan. Hopefully the info comes soon. im on 2600 beta. would upgrading to 2610 help?

zach9054 said:
Martin said:

Well at least I have one functioning fan. Hopefully the info comes soon. im on 2600 beta. would upgrading to 2610 help?

That won't make any difference to this case.

zach9054 said:
Martin said:

There's also an alternate fan control mode available for your model - try to disable "EC Support" in HWiNFO. Then you should see a different sensor called DELL EC and fan control will allow you to set 3 levels only. Please try it and see if you can see both fan speeds and whether in this mode you're able to control the GPU fan as well. If yes, then there might be a way to control your GPU fan in the default (Compal) mode too.

Disabling EC support gives me FAN1 and FAN3 to control. I can't set the sensor for FAN3 if i wish to use custom Auto. I wanted to set that to the nvidia card. I also can't see fan rpm after that.

Enabling EC support allows custom auto for FAN1 only. I can sett CPU fan rpm with this but not GPU.

With disabled 'EC Support", are you able to set manual fan speed for fan3 (GPU) ?
Do you also see fan3 speed in the sensors window ?
Maybe posting a few screenshot would make it more clear.

Martin said:
With disabled 'EC Support", are you able to set manual fan speed for fan3 (GPU) ?
Do you also see fan3 speed in the sensors window ?
Maybe posting a few screenshot would make it more clear.

Yes im able to set manual fan speed for fan3. I just can't set custom auto based on GPU temperature.. it complains about the sensor missing or something similar I forgot (when you select GPU: NVIDIA GTX980M)

Your GPU may be disabled by NVIDIA Optimus because it's not used. In that mode no values can be read from it, neither a valid temperature. So in this case it might be not wise to use the GPU sensor values as a source for fan control.

I have also made some progress with the Compal firmware, which should allow finer fan control in the EC Support enabled mode.
Will post a test build in a few minutes...

I'm away from my laptop but in an effort to avoid confusion. Biatche has the NVIDIA GTX980M. I have the Nvidia GTX970M. Will hw64 2619 work on mine as well?

zach9054 said:
I'm away from my laptop but in an effort to avoid confusion. Biatche has the NVIDIA GTX980M. I have the Nvidia GTX970M. Will hw64 2619 work on mine as well?

The new fan control advancement doesn't depend on the GPU.

Martin said:
zach9054 said:

The new fan control advancement doesn't depend on the GPU.

Fan 3 is now available but when I select GPU for sensor 1, HWinfo either crashes or says I disabled something (this is with compal and everything enabled). So I just set it to read my CPU like i did with Fan 1 and now both fans work :) As it stands, if nothing else can be done, I'm happy with how it works now. Thank you

Attachments

• stopped.jpg
    stopped.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 16
Please attach a screenshot of the NVIDIA GPU in sensors window, also attaching the HWiNFO Debug File might give more clues about the crash...

Martin said:
OK, so please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_503_2619.zip
and make sure to enable "EC Support".
This should now enable separate fan control of both fans (CPU and GPU) in the original (Compal) mode.
Please let me know if/how it works.

with 2619:

CPU controls - ive no problems with it as before
GPU controls - custom auto. Selecting GTX970M gives 'sensor temperature reading is disabled' although as you can see in the sensors window that it's at 50c. Without custom auto well I've not tried manual actually but it wouldn't be nice to see the GPU fans constantly spinning.

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Ut3jKV6.jpg

oh yea, ive to correct myself its a GTX970M, was working on two GTX980M laptops today.. I had mistaken myself.

Martin said:
Please attach a screenshot of the NVIDIA GPU in sensors window, also attaching the HWiNFO Debug File might give more clues about the crash...

Crash is completely random. Of course now that I want it to happen, it won't crash on me. Attached is the NVIDIA GPU in sensors window. Its at the very bottom. It has never shown more than a title.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 8
Back