Customize Tab -> GPU Temperature -> Decimal Digits getting reset to 1 after GPU Driver Update

BlindBison

1651021083342.png
I have an Nvidia 2080 Super -- I finally figured out what was going on. At first I thought it was when I updated HWiNFO64 that caused the decimal digit to reset, but it's actually whenever the GPU Driver itself gets updated.

I use the GPU Temp field in my custom overlay, but whenever the gpu driver is updated (I did a clean install) this decimal digit which I've set to 0 manually gets reset back to 1 so I have to go back in and reset it back to the desired 0 each time.

Thanks,

Does this perhaps happen when you update the driver while HWiNFO is running? Try to close it before updating if that will happen too.

Does this perhaps happen when you update the driver while HWiNFO is running? Try to close it before updating if that will happen too.
When I closed HWiNFO then did a clean install of the latest driver the GPU Temperature Decimal value did NOT reset to 1.

I did the following:
1) Closed HWiNFO from the system tray
2) Opened GeForce Experience and reinstalled the latest driver (clean install)
3) After it completed I reopened HWiNFO64 and the GPU Temp decimal place value was still at zero.

Additional notes that may be relevant:
1) I did not close RTSS for this test -- it remained open
2) When I saw the issue happen, I was updating from an older driver to a newer driver and driver installation required a reboot -- I have HWiNFO64 and RTSS set to open on system startup (where HWiNFO I must launch first or sometimes it fails to catch RTSS for the custom overlay -- probably not relevant for this issue though).

So, for the test I did just now where it did NOT get reset to 1 decimal place (gpu temp under custom tab) I was just clean installing the same new driver (as there wasn't another new one for me to move to). Thanks for your hard work, I love HWiNFO, it's awesome. Best overlay combo around with RTSS imo.

I think this is because during the driver reinstall process HWiNFO temporarily loses access to the GPU and its sensors, hence it resets some custom settings to defaults.

I think this is because during the driver reinstall process HWiNFO temporarily loses access to the GPU and its sensors, hence it resets some custom settings to defaults.
Thanks that's good to know! In that case should I just close HWiNFO when I update my GPU driver? Or do you think this is fixable on the HWiNFO end? No worries either way, thanks for your help and time.

Sadly I did retest this several times on a new PC and it does seem that when I do a clean install of a new GPU driver or if I use DDU to uninstall the driver entirely then reinstall the GPU temperature decimal place value gets reset each time to 1 from 0.

When the next GPU driver update rolls around I'll test it without "perform a clean install" checked to see if there's a difference. I made sure HWiNFO was closed for all of this and it didn't make a difference unfortunately.

Not the end of the world or anything just a bit strange as none of the CPU temperature doesn't seem to lose the custom decimal place precision set by the user when chipset drivers are removed or updated for example, but when the driver changes even if HWiNFO is closed it seems I have to go in manually to set it back each time. This isn't hugely frequent by any means, just wanted to update with more on what I'm seeing.

Back