Fan Control

Hey Martin,

i've found this thread and it seems to be my last chance to keep my envy instead of sending back cause of the audible and noisy fan.
Do you know if your programm works with the envy series of hp?
And if it does, how can i configure the fan?

Sorry for the question but i didn't get how it works, or didnt find the settings....

thanks in advance

greetings

Attachments

• sensors envy 14.jpg
    sensors envy 14.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 161
  • envy system sum.jpg
    envy system sum.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 160
I'm sorry, but this model doesn't feature a fan controller/EC that I support, so I cannot control fans here (yet).

Thats a great pity for the envy which is apart from that really nice :?
Thank you for your fast reply.

hpuser said:
Hi Martin,

After returning from sleep mode, the fan control returns to bios values. I have to read the sensor again to retreived my own setting. This applies to my HP 2540p (smsc emc2113).

Any ideas of this issue?

All the best

Hi,
I have the same problem. I have Hp 2740p Elitebook, and the fan control portion is very valuable, since HP BIOS it set to start the fan with over 3000 rpm. But the fan speed is changing when my laptop goes to sleep. It starts again with over 3000 rpm, and I have to run HWiNFO again? It is 64 bit, and I am using latest version stable v.3.91-1470.

Any help Martin? or maybe I try older version, that hpuser had luck?

After waking up from sleep you'll need to rerun HWiNFO, because during wake-up from stand-by mode, the BIOS reinitializes the fan control.

Martin said:
After waking up from sleep you'll need to rerun HWiNFO, because during wake-up from stand-by mode, the BIOS reinitializes the fan control.

Thanks Martin,

I was under the impression that hpuser confirmed that one of newer editions of HWiNFO was working even after standby. Maybe I was wrong.

I tried to control the fan speed, with SpeedFan 4.45, but it only reads the information, but it is effecting the speed.

Is there anyway to make HWiNFO to run every time the PC comes out of standby/hibernation & Shutdown?
I know you mentioned HWiNFO cannot write the new information in BIOS, but if we could have it run on the background every time the PC comes out of standby/hibernation & Shutdown that would help us a lot.

I return the laptop to HP, they replaced the fan, which didn't help. So the only hope is HWiNFO.

Once again thank you very much for this software.

Yes, HWiNFO is trying to reinitialize the fan control after resume, however according to your reports it doesn't seem to work always.
I'll check if there's anything more I can do...
Which operating system do you have?

Please run HWiNFO in Debug Mode, have an active fan control running, then make the Suspend/Resume cycle.
After resuming when you see that the custom fan control is not active, please close HWiNFO and attach/send the DBG file which was created.
I'll analyse it.

Martin said:
Yes, HWiNFO is trying to reinitialize the fan control after resume, however according to your reports it doesn't seem to work always.
I'll check if there's anything more I can do...
Which operating system do you have?

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Martin said:
Please run HWiNFO in Debug Mode, have an active fan control running, then make the Suspend/Resume cycle.
After resuming when you see that the custom fan control is not active, please close HWiNFO and attach/send the DBG file which was created.
I'll analyse it.

I am not sure if I did it right. I selected debug mode, I usually once the fan control lowers the speed of the fan, I close it, this time I kept it running. After resuming, there was no message, no DBG file, or if it was created, I couldn't locate it.
However, resuming the work from sleep, I have to run the HWiNFO in order to control the fan.
thanks

Hi and thank you greatly for HWiNFO fan control options.
I'm using HWiNFO64 v3.93-1530 on my laptop just for the fan control feature but I think there's some things in the Fan Control GUI don't seem quite right.

If I set a "Custom Auto" and then decide to click "System Auto" at a later time without actually going back into "Fan Control Look-up Table" window and setting Sensor to "None / Off", then the GUI report the "Custom Auto" as "Inactive" as it should and I close the "HWiNFO Fan Control" window.
If Open the "HWiNFO Fan Control" window again the "Custom Auto" reports Active.
I'm not sure if this is meant to be by design and it's not earth shattering, but it seems quirky behaviour to me.

From poking around in widows registry and an assumption when you open the "HWiNFO Fan Control" window it reads the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\HWiNFO64\Sensors\CustomLutFan1\Sensor
Basically I'd assume if you click "System Auto" or "Set Manual" button that the Sensor registry key should be set to 00000000_0_-1, but it's not.
Either that or the "System Auto" and "Set Manual" buttons should be disabled while Custom Auto is active until ther user sets "None / Off" under the Sensor dropdown.

Regardless I'm ever so greatful to have any form of control over my laptop fan at all.
Once again all I can say is a big "THANK YOU".

Cheers

This is actually by design ;)
The "System Auto" setting works only temporary if you have "Custom Auto" enabled, so to completely restore "System Auto" you will need to disable Custom settings as well.

Thank you very much for the fan control feature.
My CPU fan has about 7 speeds but HWiNFO shows only 3. When I monitor the cpu fan speed in normal use without the fan control feature enabled, I see that the fan is much finer controlled with steps of about 200 RPM.
I can choose between 0, 3300 and 5100 RPM. Theoretical there should be no limit on the fan speeds since the fan in controlled by a PWM.
Please, could you look into this? I would like to set my fan speed to about 1500 RPM so it would be really quiet.

I suppose you have a DELL notebook, correct?
For those notebooks the DELL interface allows only those 3 speeds to be set by (host) applications. Internally the controller (EC) can set any speed, but I'm not aware of an interface which would allow to command the EC to set other fan speeds.

N5110 said:
My CPU fan has about 7 speeds but HWiNFO shows only 3. When I monitor the cpu fan speed in normal use without the fan control feature enabled, I see that the fan is much finer controlled with steps of about 200 RPM.
I can choose between 0, 3300 and 5100 RPM. Theoretical there should be no limit on the fan speeds since the fan in controlled by a PWM.
Please, could you look into this? I would like to set my fan speed to about 1500 RPM so it would be really quiet.

You are right I have a Dell N5110 laptop.
What interface are you talking about which is used by HWiNFO for altering the fan speed look-up-table? I thought you are overwriting some sections in the RAM of the EC where this table is stored.

Martin said:
I suppose you have a DELL notebook, correct?
For those notebooks the DELL interface allows only those 3 speeds to be set by (host) applications. Internally the controller (EC) can set any speed, but I'm not aware of an interface which would allow to command the EC to set other fan speeds.

N5110 said:

No, I'm not overwriting the fan lookup table on these machines in the EC and I don't think this table is accessible to host side (CPU) via EC RAM.
The interface used is called DELLDIAG and it's accessible via SW SMI requests.

Is there any domumentation of the DELLDIAG interface or have you extracted the relevant information by analysing the dell diag tool?
How does HWiNFO works on a non Dell pc, do you communicate with the EC directly?
Maybe it's also possible on a Dell pc to control the fan via the EC.

I really would like to set the speed of my cpu fan below the 3300 RPM of the DELLDIAG interface. Do you think there is another way to do this since its not possible throw the DELLDIAG interface?

EC-related information is proprietary and vendors do not release such information.
DELLDIAG interface is universal for DELL notebooks - it doesn't matter which ODM designed a particular model and how the EC is implemented.
HWiNFO supports some other notebooks via direct EC control, but this kind of interface is very specific and even more proprietary. Some ODMs implement it in a similar fashion, but still needs to be considered per each model.
Theoreticaly it might be possible to communicate with your notebook via EC directly, but this is very specific and depends on which ODM designed it. Do you know who's the ODM? In case of Compal I might be able to do that, but from my experience the direct EC communication can cause several issues (due to the lack of synchronization and possible ACPI/SMI conflicts) and there have been reports of instability and serious problems on some models, so I don't advise to do this.

Back