Fan Control

No they can't. As I already told you a power cycle resets the chip's configuration including all locks and BIOS reconfigures it during each boot.
I'm already using the LUT Lock to unlock, modify and lock the LUT.
If you're really looking for such solution, then better convince HP to modify their BIOS.

ooooooo said:
Can you take a look at the datasheet I posted for the 2113 in earlier post;
(<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2009/10/24/8/42/45/521/smsc_/auto/2113.pdf">http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/ ... o/2113.pdf</a><!-- m -->)

Page 43:
7.1 Lock column next to Temp registers
7.1.1: Lock Entries
page 70;
7.36: Software Lock Register

Do you know if those sections would help you lock the LUT?

Thanks for the responses and your work on this Martin. A lot of laptop users and myself really appreciate it.

Dear Martin,

Thank you very much for this sotware. It works well with my HP 2540p (smsc em2113). However, it seems that the fan can use only a limited rpm range. For exemple, using a value of 2318 makes the fan runs at 3150. Using values between 2000-3000 makes than fan runs at 3150. Around 1500, I could make the fans runs about 960.

Thaks for you help and great work.

In beta v3.69-1149, now the fan control setting seems to have a new option that I do not understand. Fan minmum Drive: 35%. This seems to be changed by the user but noting append when I try to change the value.

Thanks.
Elitebook 2540p I7

Yes, the fan has a limit for the minimum spin value, and that's exactly the new option - the "Fan Minimum Drive". If the fan spins at a rate below this setting, the fan controller doesn't allow this. If you want to run the fan at a speed lower than this setting, you need to set that setting to a lower value. However, it's not clear if all fans are able to run at speeds below this limit (on some machines it seems to work). ~963 RPM is the absolute minimum value, where 960 means that the fan is off (this has been fixed in the latest build 1151 to report 0 RPM).
hpuser said:
In beta v3.69-1149, now the fan control setting seems to have a new option that I do not understand. Fan minmum Drive: 35%. This seems to be changed by the user but noting append when I try to change the value.

Thanks.
Elitebook 2540p I7

Great! I tested it and it works well! At 25%, it runs at 2507. Ha, finally the silence...

Millions of thank you Martin!

Thanks Martin. for temp3=0, I set the seep at 2507. It keeps the CPU at 28-30C when Idle. However, at temp=16, I set at 4028. So it cools down under CPU more demanding taks. The rest is unchanged.

What a great job again Martin.

All the best, :D

Hi Martin,

After returning from sleep mode, the fan control returns to bios values. I have to read the sensor again to retreived my own setting. This applies to my HP 2540p (smsc emc2113).

Any ideas of this issue?

All the best

Hi Martin,

I've tried it. Now when returning from sleep mode, it changes the fan minimum drive value (probably the bios value). Mine is 21%, after returning from sleep 37%. However, if I close and read the sensor again, then I retreive my setting.

All the best and thanks for help.

Ok, I'll fix this too in the next build. But is the LUT override now kept after resume?

hpuser said:
Hi Martin,

I've tried it. Now when returning from sleep mode, it changes the fan minimum drive value (probably the bios value). Mine is 21%, after returning from sleep 37%. However, if I close and read the sensor again, then I retreive my setting.

All the best and thanks for help.

Does hwinfo support command line arguments? So, I can just include shortcut ( for example: hwinfo32.exe -sensorsonly -exit) in startup folder to set fans. And are you thinking about doing a fan only utility separate from hwinfo?

No, HWiNFO32 doesn't support command-line parameters, but it supports configuration as autorun and sensor-only mode.
A separate fan control utility is currently not in plan.

ooooooo said:
Does hwinfo support command line arguments? So, I can just include shortcut ( for example: hwinfo32.exe -sensorsonly -exit) in startup folder to set fans. And are you thinking about doing a fan only utility separate from hwinfo?

Martin said:
Try this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw32_370_1160.zip">http://www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw32_370_1160.zip</a><!-- m -->
and let me know.

Hi Martin,

I was away for few weeks. I downloaded beta 3.70-1175 and now it resumes correctly form sleep. Great! I saw also a new icon, great great too! When I first run this beta and type fancontrol, noting was happening until I discover the nice little rectangular.

Again, wounderful Job Martin and millons of thanks!

Hi,

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion dv7 and I cant figure out how to adjust the fan speed. I normally use Speed Fan but for some reason HP doesnt support it...
So I discovered this program and that it can change the fan speeds on HP's but after downloading it, I can't figure out how to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Hi David,
your HP must have the SMSC sensor chip in order for HWiNFO32/64 to control the fan, but I'm not sure if the dv7 has it.
Please post a screenshot of the Sensor screen, so I can check it.

Back