HP Probook 4330s - fan control ?

xjasparx

Hi all,

I've just discovered this magnificent piece of software.

Any idea whether the laptop HP Probook 4330s with chip "SMSC 957FR" will one day be supported for fan controlling? Because this laptop has its fan always on and it makes a lot of noise, even when doing nothing.

I can provide more info but I don't know where to start...

Thank you very much!

I'm sorry, but the SMSC 957FR controller doesn't belong to those which are supported in HWiNFO32/64 for fan control.
Fan controler might be realised there via the SMSC PWMs, or might be controller differently.

xjasparx said:
...Any idea whether the laptop HP Probook 4330s with chip "SMSC 957FR" will one day be supported for fan controlling? Because this laptop has its fan always on and it makes a lot of noise, even when doing nothing...
Same issue with ProBook 4530s. I can't even find the fan controller in any documents or in any utilities.
Where did you find the SMSC 957FR? SMSC does not list 957FR as a valid part number.
These are all their fan controllers: http://www.smsc.com/index.php?tid=156

SMSC 957FR is reported by HWiNFO (based on the ID) as the LPC. SMSC web (as many others) doesn't list many of their controllers.
Since the 37C957FR is a quite old LPC, I don't think this is true (might be a misidentification).
I'd rather say that this notebook has a custom microcontroller (EC) which controls power management including fans. Such ECs use their own proprietary firmware/methods so due to the lack of knowledge it's currently not possible to control them.

Martin said:
SMSC 957FR is reported by HWiNFO (based on the ID) as the LPC. SMSC web (as many others) doesn't list many of their controllers.
Since the 37C957FR is a quite old LPC, I don't think this is true (might be a misidentification).
I'd rather say that this notebook has a custom microcontroller (EC) which controls power management including fans. Such ECs use their own proprietary firmware/methods so due to the lack of knowledge it's currently not possible to control them.

I'm confused. What does a 37C957FR have to do with SMSC 957FR fan controller? The 37C957FR is an IO Controller from 1996. Certainly not in a laptop from 2011.

BTW, SMSC (Standard Micro Systems Corp.) used to be known as SMC (Standard Microsystems Corp.). Don't know why or when the change occurred.

I think a custom microcontroller is possible, it does have a custom BIOS, not Award, not Phoenix; never saw one like it before. I'm not opening mine up to find out. If it was a desktop, sure. Laptop? Not until the warranty expires.

Also, I have a 4530s, the OP has a 4330s. There could be a difference.

HWiNFO previously displayed the LPC detected as SMSC 957FR, the correct name should be SMSC 37C957FR.
Anyway, as I said (and you too) I doubt that's the one used in this laptop, so it must be just an ID mismatch.
Some larger vendors usually make their own BIOSes - not based on any IBV (Independant BIOS Vendor).. Almost all modern laptops use microcontrollers with custom firmware (instead of LPC/SIO used in desktops).

Can anybody send me the HWiNFO64 Debug File (don't forget to open Sensors window too) for further analysis?

Here it is. I hope it´s proper file you need. I´ll be (and I´m sure that not only me) very thankful if there is possibility to control fan rotates.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.zip
    95.2 KB · Views: 31
Thanks. Unfortunately I haven't been yet able to determine what fan controller is used there :(

Hi guys!

I'm wondering the same issue here with my 4330s. I've noticed that the fan goes on around 45C (by lm-sensors info) but doesn't turn off again at all. Seems that the "low water" limit for turning the fan off, is 31C, according to this forum thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...ways-help-dsdt-editing-nhc-acpi-module-2.html

And seems that writing stuff to certain address in the EC sets the temperature limits, also for the 4330s model. There was a tool for windows, but I don't know what could be used in linux...

Would this kind of experimental information help in this issue? It would be nice to control the limits also in linux somehow. :) For example raise the ON limit to 55C and OFF treshold to 45C, or something.

Br,
Henrik.

Back