HWiNFO64 does not show Thunderbolt 3 controller

rae8836

Report and Debug attached.

System is Razer Blade 15 Base.  System is specified with one Thunderbolt 3 port which I believe requires a PCI 4x internal connection.  I have a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DP display adapter attached to the Thunderbolt 3 port and both displays are working as expected.  

Windows 10 Pro device manager shows a system device named 'Thunderbolt(tm) Controller' and identified as 'pci\ven_8086&dev_15d9&cc_0880'.  

HWiNFO64 shows one 4x [font=verdana, tahoma,]Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #13 with a PCI Express x4 Bus #4[/font] but does not show any devices on that path.  

How do I review the characteristics of my Thunderbolt 3 port in HWiNFO64?

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • RAZERBLADERAE.HTM
    167.2 KB · Views: 1
This is really interesting, that device seems to be somehow hidden in the system.
Try to disable the "Low-level PCI Access" option in settings of HWiNFO if that will change it perhaps.

Outputs attached, "Low Level PCI Access" unchecked.  Doesn't look to me like it made any difference.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    761.4 KB · Views: 1
  • RAZERBLADERAE.HTM
    158.9 KB · Views: 1
Are there any devices attached to that controller? If not can you try to attach something?

Had some time to try some alternatives.  Short version is that it appears the Intel JHL6340 Thunderbolt 3 bridge can assume multiple states and HWiNFO presently only sees some of them.

First trial: Win 10 restart then run HWiNFO64 with no devices attached to the Thunderbolt 3 port.  Low Level PCI access was checked (ON).  No Thunderbolt seen.  Report is RAZERBLADERAEV.HTM (not present due to attachment count limit), debug is HWiNFO64V.DBG.

Second trial: Win 10 restart then insert Samsung DUO Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive (MUF-64DB/AM) into Thunderbolt 3 port then run HWiNFO64.  Low Level PCI access was checked (ON).  Thunderbolt is shown along with all subchannels, flash drive is shown as "Silicon Motion Memory Bar".  Win 10 Device Manager reports this flash drive as "Samsung Type-C USB Device".  Report is RAZERBLADERAES.HTM, debug is HWiNFO64S.DBG.

Third Trial: Win 10 restart then insert StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter (TB32DP2) into Thunderbolt 3 port.  Display is attached to adapter and is functioning.  Run HWiNFO64.  Low Level PCI access was checked (ON).  No Thunderbolt is seen.  Report is RAZERBLADERAED.HTM, debug is HWiNFO64D.DBG.

I'd be interested in your analysis.

RAE

Attachments

• HWiNFO64D.DBG
    844.9 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO64S.DBG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO64V.DBG
    859.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RAZERBLADERAED.HTM
    159 KB · Views: 1
  • RAZERBLADERAES.HTM
    173.2 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the detailed testing and results!
I think that the controller is automatically disabled by power management when it's not used (at least as an USB controller) and in this case it completely disappears from the bus.
This is a usual practice also for PCI Express slots, which are not occupied.
Perhaps some BIOS setting (or power management setting in Device Manager) can change this behavior.

I can see the controller not being visible when it is not in use, but what about the case where it is driving Displayport monitors and still isn't reported?

I'm not sure why, perhaps only in case the USB controller is active the whole device is visible. When using DP only, there's probably no need for that from power management point of view.

Back