HWiNFOMonitor

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
HWiNFOMonitor is an advanced Sidebar Gadget which allows to display and monitor any HWiNFO sensor data.
It's fully customizable and can display values in text, graphs or bars. SideShow is supported as well.

HWiNFOMonitor100x100.png

Download version 1.1 HERE
Download latest version HERE

Many thanks to:
- Nick Connors (stangowner) - Author
- Paul (Vomit) - Testing

This gadget is the BEST gadget I use on my PC, invaluable for over-clocking, system diagnostics and performance monitoring especially when used with a side show device. If your pc bombs out and you are using the sideshow gadget at the time the last values sent to your device will remain on the screen for you to see, handy for checking for heat issues.

In the past I have used this gadgets predecessor (GPU Monitor) and discovered my gpu fan speed was not increasing speed as it should have, crashes solved and hardware damage avoided. Again I was using the sideshow part as well and spotted the fan speed during a round of COD4.

Thanks, I don't use all those sensors all the time but they are nice have on the desktop any time that I do need to use them. Mainly just like to monitor System, CPU and GPU. I'm not real fond of having them displayed in game so its nice to look at my desktop after I finish a game and be able to see Minimum, Maximum, and Current readings all at once.

Thanks again

Martin said:
HWiNFOMonitor is an advanced Sidebar Gadget which allows to display and monitor any HWiNFO sensor data.
It's fully customizable and can display values in text, graphs or bars. SideShow is supported as well.

HWiNFOMonitor100x100.png

Download HERE

Many thanks to:
- Nick Connors (stangowner) - Author
- Paul (Vomit) - Testing

Martin, what is your advice about MS shutting down the Side Bar and Gadgets with a FixIT because of security concerns? I am really going to miss the Side Bar..... :huh:

I think this is just a security precaution in general for any gadget that could theoretically be exploited like any other component in system. It's up to the user if he decides to disable all gadgets for a higher security feeling.

HWiNFOMonitor gadget isn't currently digitally signed. If signing it would elevate the trust, I can sign it with my digital signature. Nick, just let me know...

Martin said:
I think this is just a security precaution in general for any gadget that could theoretically be exploited like any other component in system. It's up to the user if he decides to disable all gadgets for a higher security feeling.

HWiNFOMonitor gadget isn't currently digitally signed. If signing it would elevate the trust, I can sign it with my digital signature. Nick, just let me know...

Thank You Martin for your timely response. I do not entirely disagree with you BUT, what about gadgets that have Internet access like for example the MS weather gadget, which I use.
Right Now there is so much fear mongering by Governments, Corporations, Media, and individuals that one does not know how much is real and how much is "control" hype???? :huh:

Martin, I don't know who Nick, but if you're looking for my advice, I would say one should do what ever they can to aleave all peoples concerns. If the includes digital signatures, so be it.

Thanks, Crysta

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been traveling the past week.

To be honest with you.....I'm not seeing this as a major issue. Gadgets need a certain level of access to be functional. Its been this way since day 1. It is like installing any other software, and the user needs to make the decision that the gadget they have downloaded and are installing is from a reliable source.

If you read the security advisory:
"In addition, Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and can access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time."
and
"If the current user is logged on with administrative user rights, an attacker could take complete control of the affected system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights."
This sound like "vulnerabilities" that existed on day 1 with Vista. This blanket statement is true for ALL software. I'm a firm believer in concepts of least privilege. I never disabled the UAC, even in the early Vista betas. It is there for a good reason. Linux and Mac have a UAC equivalent too.

Its sad to say, but I honestly believe this is just part of Microsoft's marketing strategy for Windows 8. There are nearly 1 billion Vista/7 installs out there....but yet Microsoft removed the gadget gallery nearly a year ago. Why? "Because we want to focus on the exciting possibilities of the newest version of Windows, the Windows website no longer hosts the gadget gallery." Good job Microsoft. Don't bother just not accepting any new gadget entries, but take down the several thousand that were there that your billion users were making good use of. And a year before Windows 8 is released. Really? And when was the last time Microsoft "fixed" a vulnerability by just disabling the whole platform? Imagine if they did this for every vulnerability in Internet Explorer or Office. It is clear Microsoft has no intention of supporting gadgets any longer. Although gadgets are still present in the Win8 Release Preview, it is rumored to be gone in future builds. I think this vulnerability is just an excuse to kill functionality in Win 7 so users will purchase Windows 8. Granted it includes a big write-off, but this is also on the heals of the company's first net loss in 25 years.

The only thing a digital signature would help with is assuring that the specific download itself has not been tampered with. It does not prevent you from consciously installing a malicious gadget, or any other software for that matter. The majority of the gadgets that were in the gallery were never signed all along. But I agree, we should sign this to ensure users that the gadget itself is trusted and has not been tampered with. Martin, thanks for offering. Give me a few days and I'll send you the update which includes the fix mentioned when hiding the gadget title. You can sign and post the new build.

Just my 2 cents......feel free to leave your comments.

Nick

stangowner said:
Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been traveling the past week.

To be honest with you.....I'm not seeing this as a major issue. Gadgets need a certain level of access to be functional. Its been this way since day 1. It is like installing any other software, and the user needs to make the decision that the gadget they have downloaded and are installing is from a reliable source.

If you read the security advisory:
"In addition, Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and can access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time."
and
"If the current user is logged on with administrative user rights, an attacker could take complete control of the affected system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights."
This sound like "vulnerabilities" that existed on day 1 with Vista. This blanket statement is true for ALL software. I'm a firm believer in concepts of least privilege. I never disabled the UAC, even in the early Vista betas. It is there for a good reason. Linux and Mac have a UAC equivalent too.

Its sad to say, but I honestly believe this is just part of Microsoft's marketing strategy for Windows 8. There are nearly 1 billion Vista/7 installs out there....but yet Microsoft removed the gadget gallery nearly a year ago. Why? "Because we want to focus on the exciting possibilities of the newest version of Windows, the Windows website no longer hosts the gadget gallery." Good job Microsoft. Don't bother just not accepting any new gadget entries, but take down the several thousand that were there that your billion users were making good use of. And a year before Windows 8 is released. Really? And when was the last time Microsoft "fixed" a vulnerability by just disabling the whole platform? Imagine if they did this for every vulnerability in Internet Explorer or Office. It is clear Microsoft has no intention of supporting gadgets any longer. Although gadgets are still present in the Win8 Release Preview, it is rumored to be gone in future builds. I think this vulnerability is just an excuse to kill functionality in Win 7 so users will purchase Windows 8. Granted it includes a big write-off, but this is also on the heals of the company's first net loss in 25 years.

The only thing a digital signature would help with is assuring that the specific download itself has not been tampered with. It does not prevent you from consciously installing a malicious gadget, or any other software for that matter. The majority of the gadgets that were in the gallery were never signed all along. But I agree, we should sign this to ensure users that the gadget itself is trusted and has not been tampered with. Martin, thanks for offering. Give me a few days and I'll send you the update which includes the fix mentioned when hiding the gadget title. You can sign and post the new build.

Just my 2 cents......feel free to leave your comments.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Please to make your acquaintance! Now Nick you wouldn't be talking about the Original Q-DOS company, Quick and Dirty Operating System, Microsoft by Bill Gates Company. Unfortunately Bill Gates started with the Quick and Dirty(mostly dirty in all sorts of ways) mentality and philosophy and MS is still stuck in it. Yes, for those who don't realize it, the original OS for the 286 was called Q-DOS and it meant Quick and Dirty Operating System. :rolleyes:

I agree with your conjecture Nick, it is the same old, same old, SSDC. As for the Internet and all software, one needs to be very careful with all things that are communicating beyond ones direct control, and that also includes all private information. :p

Thanks for the reply and hope you had a good trip, :)

Best Regards, :D

Crysta

PhotM said:
Hi Nick,

Please to make your acquaintance! Now Nick you wouldn't be talking about the Original Q-DOS company, Quick and Dirty Operating System, Microsoft by Bill Gates Company. Unfortunately Bill Gates started with the Quick and Dirty(mostly dirty in all sorts of ways) mentality and philosophy and MS is still stuck in it. Yes, for those who don't realize it, the original OS for the 286 was called Q-DOS and it meant Quick and Dirty Operating System. :rolleyes:

I agree with your conjecture Nick, it is the same old, same old, SSDC. As for the Internet and all software, one needs to be very careful with all things that are communicating beyond ones direct control, and that also includes all private information. :p

Crysta
Nice to meet you as well ! I see I'm not the only one with the utmost confidence in Microsoft.

I do like the company. They have taken the industry to unimaginable places, and I give them props for that. I just don't agree with all the decisions they have made along the way, this being one perfect example. Maybe I'm partial because I had something in the gadget gallery.....but I'm sure I'd feel the same way even if I didn't. This move just didn't make sense. Its like giving candy to a baby, letting it take a few licks, and then taking it back. Oh well, life goes on. I'm going to continue using them.

- Nick

stangowner said:
PhotM said:
Hi Nick,

Crysta
Nice to meet you as well ! I see I'm not the only one with the utmost confidence in Microsoft.

I do like the company. They have taken the industry to unimaginable places, and I give them props for that. I just don't agree with all the decisions they have made along the way, this being one perfect example. Maybe I'm partial because I had something in the gadget gallery.....but I'm sure I'd feel the same way even if I didn't. This move just didn't make sense. Its like giving candy to a baby, letting it take a few licks, and then taking it back. Oh well, life goes on. I'm going to continue using them.

- Nick

OKAY Nick, I don't hate MS, what I think you are talking about is the VISION, which I agree with you on. I am still using them to but as usual will be very careful with which gadgets I use especially if they talk to the internet. I do find it interesting that MS TECHNET AND MSDN Departments are still promoting there new gadgets. I guess they didn't get the internal memo???? :))

I just downloaded this and am having issues getting it to work. Mostly I can't get it to display at all. I've installed and setup HWiNFO32 like it says in the directions and enabled shared memory support, all the sensors work fine in HWiNFO. But I can't get anything to display in the monitor gadget. Everytime I try to adjust the settings for the gadget none of the drop down boxes work or have anything in them. And when I hit okay to accept and close the settings it never saves or closes only way to close is to hit the cancel button and then none of the settings i already set save. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running vista 32bit if that info is needed.

Redbear911 said:
I just downloaded this and am having issues getting it to work. Mostly I can't get it to display at all. I've installed and setup HWiNFO32 like it says in the directions and enabled shared memory support, all the sensors work fine in HWiNFO. But I can't get anything to display in the monitor gadget. Everytime I try to adjust the settings for the gadget none of the drop down boxes work or have anything in them. And when I hit okay to accept and close the settings it never saves or closes only way to close is to hit the cancel button and then none of the settings i already set save. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running vista 32bit if that info is needed.

Can you tell me if HWiNFOMonitor.exe is listed in the task manager's process list when the gadget is open? If not, can you please start it manually from here and let me know if it makes a difference: "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\HWiNFOMonitor.gadget"

stangowner said:
Redbear911 said:

Can you tell me if HWiNFOMonitor.exe is listed in the task manager's process list when the gadget is open? If not, can you please start it manually from here and let me know if it makes a difference: "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\HWiNFOMonitor.gadget"

Yes It is running in the processes tab of the taskmgr.

Redbear911 said:
Yes It is running in the processes tab of the taskmgr.
Can you please zip the following files and email them to me at the address listed on the about tab of the gadget settings?
all files in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\HWiNFOMonitor"
and "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\HWiNFOMonitor.log"

Thanks

stangowner said:
Can you please zip the following files and email them to me at the address listed on the about tab of the gadget settings?

Thanks
I've emailed the zip file you asked for to the email address in the about tab of the gadget.

edit: Ok slight problem since the email listed in the about section is a gmail account it won't let me send the email and keeps returning as failed since gmail accounts can't accept any attachments that have an .exe file in them regardless if they are zipped or not. And the HWiNFOMonitor folder has a .exe file in it.

Redbear911 said:
stangowner said:

Thanks
I've emailed the zip file you asked for to the email address in the about tab of the gadget.

edit: Ok slight problem since the email listed in the about section is a gmail account it won't let me send the email and keeps returning as failed since gmail accounts can't accept any attachments that have an .exe file in them regardless if they are zipped or not. And the HWiNFOMonitor folder has a .exe file in it.

Are you sure you are only sending the 1 folder and 1 file I asked for? There should not be any .exe files in there.

stangowner said:
Redbear911 said:
stangowner said:

Thanks

Are you sure you are only sending the 1 folder and 1 file I asked for? There should not be any .exe files in there.
I was sending the folder from "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\HWiNFOMonitor" as there is no HWiNFOMonitor folder at "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\HWiNFOMonitor" inside the folder there is an .exe application called HWiNFOMonitor. And I was also sending the log file from "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\HWiNFOMonitor.log" so if I got the wrong folder then I don't see what folder you are wanting me to send.

Back