HWiNFOMonitor

doveman said:
Is there any way to reset the Max values shown in HwInfoMonitor, other than closing the gadget and re-adding it, as that's the only way I've found so far? Resetting the Min/Max in HwInfo doesn't seem to affect HwInfoMonitor.

Hi,

Yes, you can click the icon in the title to reset the min/max values. You can also click the words in the title to open the flyout to examine all min/max values at the same time instead of just seeing the tooltip over each entry. However, if you are not showing the title at all you won't be able to do either of these.

Hope this helps,
Nick

stangowner said:
Hi,

Yes, you can click the icon in the title to reset the min/max values. You can also click the words in the title to open the flyout to examine all min/max values at the same time instead of just seeing the tooltip over each entry. However, if you are not showing the title at all you won't be able to do either of these.

Hope this helps,
Nick

Aha, that's great thanks. Clicking on the icon works fine :)

For the sensors where I care about the min/max values I have these displayed in the main window but the flyout's useful for the others where I might only want to check occasionally.

Roadking said:
Was working in Win 8. Stopped working in Win8.1. Any fix?

The gadget platform was removed from Windows in Win8, and therefore Win 8.1 too. And the IE 11 update with Win 8.1 may affect operation as well. I'm assuming you're using a 3rd party application that restored gadgets? Sorry, but I'm not sure I can support this short of the regular things to check.

Have you checked the other steps mentioned previously in this thread? Is HWiNFOMonitor.exe in the process list? Are you getting a specific error in the gadget.

stangowner said:
Here's how you can change the decimals displayed for any GB readings so they show 1 decimal place:
- open "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\HWiNFOMonitor.gadget\scripts\shared.js" in a text editor.
- change line 182 from:
}else if(units == "fps" || units == "x" || units == "w"){
to:
}else if(units == "fps" || units == "x" || units == "w" || units == "gb"){
- save and close the file
- close and reopen your gadget

Now you will be able to see 12.1 GB or 12.9 GB when using the modify factor of 1024. However, this will change all entries displaying as GB, so just make sure any others still display OK.

- Nick

To expand on this, is there a way to expand the number of decimals to at least 2?

I actually meant to ask this awhile ago, but for some reason even with:
1) Editing line 182 in shared.js
2) Actual / Factor = 1024 _ GB [For specific entry in gadget]
3) Exiting the actual gadget and replacing it as it once was
It would never work and just randomly decided to now on my umpteenth try.

Also, backing up perfMonitors_#.json/perfWindow_#.json and restoring them when the gadget decides to reset itself doesn't seem to work anymore. By work, I mean restoring it to how you edited it (either by shadow copy or manually copying the file and placing elsewhere in case of need). Are there any alternatives to restoring previous entries properly when they are reset on a random system boot?

10hellfire01 said:
To expand on this, is there a way to expand the number of decimals to at least 2?

I actually meant to ask this awhile ago, but for some reason even with:
1) Editing line 182 in shared.js
2) Actual / Factor = 1024 _ GB [For specific entry in gadget]
3) Exiting the actual gadget and replacing it as it once was
It would never work and just randomly decided to now on my umpteenth try.

If you want 2 decimal places, just modify line 180 instead of 182 to add gb to it. So line 180 should look like this:
if(units == "v" || units == "a" || units == "hrs" || units == "gb"){
and make sure you change 182 back to its original:

10hellfire01 said:
Also, backing up perfMonitors_#.json/perfWindow_#.json and restoring them when the gadget decides to reset itself doesn't seem to work anymore. By work, I mean restoring it to how you edited it (either by shadow copy or manually copying the file and placing elsewhere in case of need). Are there any alternatives to restoring previous entries properly when they are reset on a random system boot?

I have seen instances where Microsoft prefetch may prevent the gadget from reading those files properly after restoring them. I'm not sure why as I have never had it happen to me personally. Perhaps M$ is tracking it in the C:\Windows\Prefetch\SIDEBAR.EXE-BA7094F6.pf file. Maybe try deleting that too. So try this:
  1. Close all HWiNFOMonitor gadgets
  2. Delete the SIDEBAR.EXE-BA7094F6 file
  3. Restore the .json config files you backed up
  4. Open the gadget
Let me know if those help.
Thanks, Nick

stangowner said:
If you want 2 decimal places, just modify line 180 instead of 182 to add gb to it. So line 180 should look like this:
if(units == "v" || units == "a" || units == "hrs" || units == "gb"){
and make sure you change 182 back to its original:

Works like a charm. Thanks!

stangowner said:
I have seen instances where Microsoft prefetch may prevent the gadget from reading those files properly after restoring them. I'm not sure why as I have never had it happen to me personally. Perhaps M$ is tracking it in the C:\Windows\Prefetch\SIDEBAR.EXE-BA7094F6.pf file. Maybe try deleting that too. So try this:
  1. Close all HWiNFOMonitor gadgets
  2. Delete the SIDEBAR.EXE-BA7094F6 file
  3. Restore the .json config files you backed up
  4. Open the gadget
Let me know if those help.
Thanks, Nick

Due to the use of SSDs in my system, I have prefetch/superfetch disabled (includes boot drive which is also an SSD); so the file in question doesn't exist. The only files there that do exist date back to before I disabled it.

Maybe the next time it happens I'll reboot after replacing the files, before relaunching HWInfo.

Please pardon the needless necro of this thread.

Just wanted to say that this monitor is awesome. Downloaded it once 6 months ago and was disappointed because its a bit tedious to work with, and used Aida's sensor panel instead.

Gave it another shot. Aida's is actually just as difficult to work with, but HWinfo is much more powerful. Amazed that this free monitoring panel is superior (IMO) to a paid alternative.

Back