Is HWiNFO causing the dreaded WHEA-Logger Event ID XX Cache Hierarchy Errors and sudden reboots on AMD Ryzen systems?

Well, the Cache Error happened again today, after upgrading to the latest Hwinfo beta.

I doubt there's anything useful in this error log, but I've attached it.

In regards to Zach's comments, I do know that global C-States didn't do anything, and neither did "Power Supply idle Control". And I had this error with the exact same system with a 3800XT installed instead.

So you were running with latest HWiNFO v6.43 Beta. How long did it take for the error to happen? Were there any other monitoring tools running as well?
Are you sure that the error won't occur when HWiNFO is not running?
And what CPU do you have?

In regards to Zach's comments, I do know that global C-States didn't do anything, and neither did "Power Supply idle Control". And I had this error with the exact same system with a 3800XT installed instead.
What about these...

1. DF C-states (IF setting) = Disabled
2. PowerDownMode (DRAM setting) = Disabled
3. SoC/Uncore OC Mode (I/O Die, SoC setting) = Enabled

I would assume that global C-states is for all but at this point I would try to disable every single individual setting regarding power savings related to cache, memory, InfinityFabric and SoC.
And also did you try all settings on Power Supply idle Control?
Do you have RX6000series on the system? You may have state this before but I can’t run back pages to find the info.

I would also try to disable resizable bar for those having it enabled and getting the cache hierarchy error.

At this point it's shooting blindfolded but it may worth it.

Last edited:
So you were running with latest HWiNFO v6.43 Beta. How long did it take for the error to happen? Were there any other monitoring tools running as well?
Are you sure that the error won't occur when HWiNFO is not running?
And what CPU do you have?

I installed the updated beta around midnight, then rebooted. The crash happened at 11:53 am the following morning. I hadn't touched the computer during that time, it was idle the whole time.

The only other "monitoring" type software I have installed is iCUE.

Processor is a 5950x running stock.

I'll shut off HWinfo for now and see if it makes a difference.

You may try disabling iCue too after HWiNFO, if the later doesn't make any difference. If HWiNFO does make difference then keep it ON and shut off iCUE.
I'm using iCUE along with HWiNFO, GPU-Z, Gigabyte's APP Center and SIV with no issues, but iCUE is known for causing various issues when running along with HWiNFO on some systems. In general, Corsair's Link protocol doesn't play fair with other monitoring software, again... on some systems.

I'll keep that in mind, but iCue is a recent addition due to a mouse purchase, so I was already seeing these issues before iCue was installed.

For the test you should also exclude any other tools from running, i.e. AMD RyzenMaster, MSI Afterburner, OCCT, FPS Monitor, etc.

Here's a follow up, nearly 24h since shutting off hwinfo, no crashes since. I'd give it another 24h to be sure, but seems to indicate hwinfo as still the culprit.

Was it only HWiNFO that was not running this time or did you close any other tool perhaps too?
Please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_643_4388.zip
If crashes happen with this build too, please try to disable monitoring of the GPU sensor (hit Del over the GPU sensor heading).

Last edited:
I don't use any other monitoring tool besides hwinfo. iCUE technically has monitoring, but I'm not using it for that, it controls lighting and functions for my keyboard/mouse. So the only thing I've changed is stopping hwinfo. I'll start running the latest build now. I'll keep you informed.

I don't have a better idea. Since this issue is so rare, it's difficult to diagnose.

5950x with 6900XT. Was getting WHEA 18 very often after updating AMD adrenalin drivers to a specific version. Cannot recall which. Before the AMD adrenalin driver update, there were zero WHEA 18. Updated to 643_4380 beta on 2/17, and not a single WHEA ID 18 since ... until today. So, 15 days. Only hwinfo was running. Happened overnight at 3 AM. Should I try 643_4385 or 643_4388? Also, do you have any insight into whether or not AMD will be fixing this in the ADM graphics drivers?

5950x with 6900XT. Was getting WHEA 18 very often after updating AMD adrenalin drivers to a specific version. Cannot recall which. Before the AMD adrenalin driver update, there were zero WHEA 18. Updated to 643_4380 beta on 2/17, and not a single WHEA ID 18 since ... until today. So, 15 days. Only hwinfo was running. Happened overnight at 3 AM. Should I try 643_4385 or 643_4388? Also, do you have any insight into whether or not AMD will be fixing this in the ADM graphics drivers?

Yes, please try build 4388. A WHEA error after 15 days can't be certainly attributed to HWiNFO, it could be anything else. You'd have to test without HWiNFO at least 3 times longer than that interval and don't experience any such error.

Yes, please try build 4388. A WHEA error after 15 days can't be certainly attributed to HWiNFO, it could be anything else. You'd have to test without HWiNFO at least 3 times longer than that interval and don't experience any such error.
Sure, I'll try 4388. If I get another WHEA ID 18 Cache Hierarchy Error, I guess (as much as I'll hate to do it :) ) I'll stop using HWiNFO and see if I can go a full month without any WHEA ID 18.

Unfortunately, multiple WHEA 18 today with 4388. Will now see what happens if I do not load HWiNFO at all, and report back.

Over 48hrs now without a crash, previously I would get it at least once a day, usually overnight. Now we need to figure out what's different between me and @AMD718.

Back