Need help figuring out what is causing random freezes and crashes on my computer (log file)

HakzoPhobic

Hi, so my pc has been crashing a lot lately seemingly at random but also usually happens when playing games. Entire PC would just freeze or black screen and id have to restart it. This has happened before so I replaced my cooler fan recently thinking it was due to my CPU overheating, but the problem still persists. So I decided to run my PC through a stress test using FurMark and HWinfo to produce a log file and my computer froze and black screened during the test. So, right now I'm really confused as to what exactly is the issue. I'm looking to replace any faulty hardware to fix these freezes but I'd just like to know what exactly is the issue going on in my computer, whether my CPU/GPU or anything else is the issue. Any help/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

(i have attached the CSV. file of the log)

Specs:
GTX 1660 Super
Intel i5 8400
16GB ram
Cooler Master Hyper 212
Cooler Master Masterwatt lite 500w 230v

Attachments

• furmarktest1.zip
    240.1 KB · Views: 4
PS. I tried to read the log through log viewers but if im being honest, I have no idea how to troubleshoot this on my own.

Assuming that the voltage readings are correct, these look a bit low to me. The 12V idle voltage is at 11.9V (see "+12V" sensor). This drops by 0.2 volts as soon as load is applied, around the 20 second mark in your log. While this drop is normal behavior to some degree, I can see this as a possible culprit. The GPU sensors read even more concerning values, 0.2V lower across the board; see sensors "GPU PCIe +12V Input Voltage" and "GPU Rail Voltages (avg)".

Technically all of this is within the ATX specification which allows +/- 5% for all (positive) voltages. See for example this Wikipedia article. So for 12V this can be as low as 11.4V. I suggest you run a CPU intensive test such as CineBench R20/R23, OCCT or Prime95 to find out of the issue also occcurs, and if the voltages also drop that much. Although the CPU draws much less power than the GPU (at least at PL1) it might give some indication.

In any case, you might want to lend a different PSU from a friend or a ccomputer shop in your area to find out if the PSU is the culprit. Should be quickly to assess if it's that easy to reproduce.

Note that this is not about the PSU's wattage. 500W is plenty for these system specs. It's about other aspects of the PSU, primarily voltage and its stability. To be clear: It's just a suspicion that the PSU is the culprit. It could be other components such as the GPU or motherboard.

Regards
Dalai

Assuming that the voltage readings are correct, these look a bit low to me. The 12V idle voltage is at 11.9V (see "+12V" sensor). This drops by 0.2 volts as soon as load is applied, around the 20 second mark in your log. While this drop is normal behavior to some degree, I can see this as a possible culprit. The GPU sensors read even more concerning values, 0.2V lower across the board; see sensors "GPU PCIe +12V Input Voltage" and "GPU Rail Voltages (avg)".

Technically all of this is within the ATX specification which allows +/- 5% for all (positive) voltages. See for example this Wikipedia article. So for 12V this can be as low as 11.4V. I suggest you run a CPU intensive test such as CineBench R20/R23, OCCT or Prime95 to find out of the issue also occcurs, and if the voltages also drop that much. Although the CPU draws much less power than the GPU (at least at PL1) it might give some indication.

In any case, you might want to lend a different PSU from a friend or a ccomputer shop in your area to find out if the PSU is the culprit. Should be quickly to assess if it's that easy to reproduce.

Note that this is not about the PSU's wattage. 500W is plenty for these system specs. It's about other aspects of the PSU, primarily voltage and its stability. To be clear: It's just a suspicion that the PSU is the culprit. It could be other components such as the GPU or motherboard.

Regards
Dalai
Thank you so much for the detailed reply!! I'll definitely take all your points into consideration. Hopefully ill update this thread when The issue has been resolved.

Last edited:
Back