Incorrect VR sensor readings MSI Z690 Force WIFI

fiftofar

The Renesas sensor readings are incorrect.
MSI MPG Z690 FORCE WIFI - BIOS 7D30vA7

I have only just started using this motherboard, I am unsure if an older bios reports different.
Leaving BIOS defaults after a clear CMOS make no difference.

There is a report on overclock.net that the same is happening to the MSI Z690 Unify-X - Link

IDLE
2022-09-04 (1).png

LOAD (CPU-z stress test)
2022-09-04 (2).png
*note, screenshots from earlier today, not when report and debug created*

Attachments

• CHRIS-Z690.HTM
    219.6 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO64DBG.zip
    540.4 KB · Views: 1
I assume the latest stable HWiNFO version (7.26) reports correct values, just a wrong PWM/VRM name. Is that so?

I assume the latest stable HWiNFO version (7.26) reports correct values, just a wrong PWM/VRM name. Is that so?
The latest stable does not seem to monitor those at all, couldn't see it in the sensor settings.

Attachments

• 2022-09-04 (7).png
    2022-09-04 (7).png
    131.1 KB · Views: 4
  • STABLE_CHRIS-Z690.HTM
    217.9 KB · Views: 1
  • STABLE_HWiNFO64.zip
    728 KB · Views: 0
The MSI Z690 Carbon, MSI Z690 Force and Z690 Carbon EK X are the same motherboard just different heatsinks and bios basically. (Same "MS-7D30").
There is a teardown of the Carbon here

From a quick Google, It seems the Unify, Unify-X and ACE all use the same Renesas RAA229131 PWM controller too (although different power stages)
I guess most if not all will display similar sensor findings with the latest beta HWINFO?

Hello,

I recently started using (I had to stop building PC for 5 months due to familiar medical issues...) a MSI MAG Torpedo Z690 motherboard for an Intel i7 12700KF. I was worried for not having readings for the VRs, and I was curious for knowing whether the "VR 40mm fab" of the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm was "anything". But I am missing those readings. For the motherboard I get only the

MSI MAG Z690 TORPEDO (MS-7D32) (Nuvoton NCT6687D)

But I get no controller, suppossed to be for the MSI z690 MAG Torpedo the Monolithic Power Systems MPS2120/MP2960 (as per here or here).

Without changing sensor order I go from "MSI MAG Z690 TORPEDO (MS-7D32) (Nuvoton NCT6687D)" to DRAM sections "DDR5 DIMM [#1] (BANK 0/Controller0-DIMMA2)"...
Z690MSI_MAG_1.jpgZ690MSI_MAG_2.jpg

I know this thread is something different, but it is closest I got. If it is needed, move to wherever it is best.

Is this something I need to set in BIOS?

Thanks for all.

Hello,

I recently started using (I had to stop building PC for 5 months due to familiar medical issues...) a MSI MAG Torpedo Z690 motherboard for an Intel i7 12700KF. I was worried for not having readings for the VRs, and I was curious for knowing whether the "VR 40mm fab" of the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm was "anything". But I am missing those readings. For the motherboard I get only the

MSI MAG Z690 TORPEDO (MS-7D32) (Nuvoton NCT6687D)

But I get no controller, suppossed to be for the MSI z690 MAG Torpedo the Monolithic Power Systems MPS2120/MP2960 (as per here or here).

Without changing sensor order I go from "MSI MAG Z690 TORPEDO (MS-7D32) (Nuvoton NCT6687D)" to DRAM sections "DDR5 DIMM [#1] (BANK 0/Controller0-DIMMA2)"...
View attachment 8597View attachment 8598

I know this thread is something different, but it is closest I got. If it is needed, move to wherever it is best.

Is this something I need to set in BIOS?

Thanks for all.

Not all boards support VRM monitoring, the capabilities can change from model to model.. Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File with sensor data and I will check in detail whether your board doesn't support this or HWiNFO needs an update.

Hello,

this is a "new" (2022 I think) model (MSI z690 MAG series are Torpedo and Tomahawk, they both are the same, with Tomahawk adding Wifi, and there is a version of Torpedo with custom water block, but all the rest is the same).

(or https://wetransfer.com/downloads/833eb00f5fb2e88a00f20735bd264d1920230108134532/e4c3c5).

I never got a motherboard that did not get readings for VRs. I got an old Gigabyte one for AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE that was showing fixed high VR temperatures (value was not changing once the first scan at startup; so I guess that could be considered the same as not readings ;)).

Thank you. Hope you get a clue.

Hello,

this is a "new" (2022 I think) model (MSI z690 MAG series are Torpedo and Tomahawk, they both are the same, with Tomahawk adding Wifi, and there is a version of Torpedo with custom water block, but all the rest is the same).

(or https://wetransfer.com/downloads/833eb00f5fb2e88a00f20735bd264d1920230108134532/e4c3c5).

I never got a motherboard that did not get readings for VRs. I got an old Gigabyte one for AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE that was showing fixed high VR temperatures (value was not changing once the first scan at startup; so I guess that could be considered the same as not readings ;)).

Thank you. Hope you get a clue.

Well, this board uses a somewhat tricky VRM/PWM which isn't supported by HWiNFO yet, but I will try..
Please try this build: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_735_4956.zip and let me know the result. I will need a new HWiNFO Debug File from this build to check details.

Hello,

I tried the other day when you took the effort to try it. I thought I had seen the VR redings in a mirage way... because when I went to open it again to take a screenshot it wasn't... I reinstalled, unistalled the previous (this is no instllation version but just in case...). And I waited to do it properly another day. Last week I recalled this, as it was totally forgotten... I can confirm it is not showing other than 1 motherboard label "MSI MAG Z690 TORPEDO (MS-7D32) (Nuvoton NCT6687D)", same as before.

Here you have the log.

Many thanks for your work and efforts.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.7z
    303.5 KB · Views: 2
Hello,

I tried the other day when you took the effort to try it. I thought I had seen the VR redings in a mirage way... because when I went to open it again to take a screenshot it wasn't... I reinstalled, unistalled the previous (this is no instllation version but just in case...). And I waited to do it properly another day. Last week I recalled this, as it was totally forgotten... I can confirm it is not showing other than 1 motherboard label "MSI MAG Z690 TORPEDO (MS-7D32) (Nuvoton NCT6687D)", same as before.

Here you have the log.

Many thanks for your work and efforts.

Please create a new Debug File which will include the startup of HWiNFO.

Hello,

with this one first time discovered the sensors at startup but when I opened sensors window system got stuck, I was not able to kill HWinfo64 process and had to restart system. There are 2 logs here the first one and the after reboot one; maybe it helps in anything or not.

Thanks.

Attachments

• hwi64_737_4971.7z
    228.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work the way I hoped for. This VRM seems to be quite tricky. I will need to check with MSI for further details before doing more tests...

Hello, thanks a lot for your time.

I thought this motherboard was "normal", it is "quite new", and there are other models quite similar, at least in appearance and choices. This is also using W11, don't know whether it is important. As I see many cosmetic changes that are more annoying than any other thing (the syrface must remain the same and change the inside; but it looks MS keeps the same behaviour, and it looks like no add on, like Classic Shell/Open Shell can fix this).

Back