Is HWiNFO causing the dreaded WHEA-Logger Event ID XX Cache Hierarchy Errors and sudden reboots on AMD Ryzen systems?

Over 48hrs now without a crash, previously I would get it at least once a day, usually overnight. Now we need to figure out what's different between me and @AMD718.
Well, ignore my findings for now. It's possible I have other issues going on with my PC and I don't want to conflate them with HWiNFO. I got WHEA 18 even without HWiNFO loaded at all. So, I'm digging into various things to see what else could be triggering the WHEA 18 "cache hierarchy error" all of the sudden. In the meantime, if I use HWiNFO, I'll use 4388

Thanks for the feedback. I have to repeat that there can be a zillion other things causing a WHEA error - unstable drivers, hardware issues, BIOS or OC settings, etc. Also other system monitoring tools might theoretically be triggering this too. I'd appreciate if in all further reports users will first test the same configuration only without HWiNFO for at least 3 times longer than the WHEA seemed to happen with HWiNFO and only if such run will not yield any WHEA error, then report this suspect. So for example if you get a WHEA error while running with HWiNFO every 12 hours, test the exact same configuration (hardware, BIOS settings, driver versions and other software running) but without HWiNFO for at least 36 hours.

Well, ignore my findings for now. It's possible I have other issues going on with my PC and I don't want to conflate them with HWiNFO. I got WHEA 18 even without HWiNFO loaded at all. So, I'm digging into various things to see what else could be triggering the WHEA 18 "cache hierarchy error" all of the sudden. In the meantime, if I use HWiNFO, I'll use 4388
I haven't had a single new occurrence of WHEA 18 since the previous post, and this is while continuing to use 4388. I changed two things, either or both of which may have been contributing to or causing my WHEA 18 events. First, I uninstalled AIDA64. I had read in a number of different places that AIDA64 contained code susceptibility similar to what was in HWiNFO prior to the recent fixes. Not sure how much truth there was to that, but, to be safe, I removed AIDA64. The second thing I did was to disable HW accelerated GPU scheduling, which was previously enabled in Win10 with my 1080 Ti, prior to upgrading to the 6900 XT. Since the setting is not visible in the Win10 GUI when using an AMD GPU, since Adrenalin drivers do not yet support HW-accelerated GPU based scheduling, I had a suspicion that it was still enabled under the hood. I found the reg key was set as if the feature was still enabled ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers] - "HwSchMode"=dword:00000002), so changed that to ("HwSchMode"=dword:00000001) and rebooted. A lot of this feels like throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks, but, at least I've been WHEA-free for 4 days.

Found a link to this thread in Reddit. I’m running a 5950X + C8F (AGESA 1.2.0.1) + RTX 3090, all fully stock (3200MHz memory, >16 full passes of memtest), and got a WHEA 18 today after running HWiNFO for a while. Was having quite a few of them in January as well, and, most times that I remember, HWiNfo was running then, too. Just giving a heads up — seems hard to root cause this; lots of reports around the web, and at least some cases are definitely unrelated to the SW. Running 7.00 Pro.

Last edited:
Found a link to this thread in Reddit. I’m running a 5950X + C8F (AGESA 1.2.0.1) + RTX 3090, all fully stock (3200MHz memory, >16 full passes of memtest), and got a WHEA 18 today after running HWiNFO for a while. Was having quite a few of them in January as well, and, most times that I remember, HWiNfo was running then, too. Just giving a heads up — seems hard to root cause this; lots of reports around the web, and at least some cases are definitely unrelated to the SW. Running 7.00 Pro.
I was hesitating to come back to this thread until I had root-caused the problem, or at least narrowed it down further. It's interesting that you are seeing WHEA 18 with your configuration and I agree this is very hard to trouble shoot because WHEA 18 seems to be rather generic. So many different search results / so many different system configs. Since my previous post, WHEA 18 came back with a vengeance, seemingly randomly, and whether HWiNFO was running or not. Since then I've tried some things. First, I can prevent them from occurring altogether if I switch to a screen saver instead of using monitor sleep. Sounds crazy, but simply setting screen saver to ribbons, means the system and the GPU never enter into the lowest possible power states. With ribbon screen saver, monitor sleep = off, WHEA disappeared. But, this is not 2001 and it feels weird to run a screen saver to prevent my monitor from going to sleep to prevent a critical Windows fault. So, I kept going. I replaced my PSU with a new 1000w Corsair RM1000x. No change. I then figured it must be my CPU, so I RMA'd my 5950x to AMD (currently with FedEx) and bought a basic R5 3600 for a temporary CPU. Installed the R5 3600 yesterday and WHEA 18 was still present. Last night, I ran 12 hours of memtest with zero issues. So, it's not the RAM, CPU, or PSU. I guess the motherboard and GPU (6900xt) are both possibilities, but I really doubt it. This feels like an insidious bug with AMD Ryzen that crept in around the time that HWiNFO actually had a real issue with WHEA 18, and that was subsequently fixed by the author. Where do I go from here? I'm going to see if Ubuntu is stable. Let it sit there idle all day and see what happens. My gut says Ubuntu will be 100% stable. Next, I'll try a clean Windows install. One thing is for certain, out of the many dozens of WHEA 18 I have had over the past few months, not a single one was under load. Every single one was when the system was idle and I wasn't looking at it. While I love the performance of my 5950x, I'm starting to long for the stability of my previous Intel system. I know this is a HWiNFO thread, and I post this here because some folks will come looking and note that it's easy to draw a correlation between WHEA 18 and HWiNFO, but it's very possible it's just a coincidence.

Thanks for the extensive description. It confirms that HWiNFO should not be the cause anymore and from your description I believe it's still somehow related to low-power modes. This is most likely a software issue (could well be the gfx driver), so RMA probably will not help and we'll need to wait for a BIOS/AGESA or graphics driver update.

Thanks for the extensive description. It confirms that HWiNFO should not be the cause anymore and from your description I believe it's still somehow related to low-power modes. This is most likely a software issue (could well be the gfx driver), so RMA probably will not help and we'll need to wait for a BIOS/AGESA or graphics driver update.
Thanks, Martin. I think you're right. Also, kudos to you for being so responsive. HWiNFO is truly excellent software and it would be a shame if WHEA 18 was conflated with it.

At this point I will bring this up again...
It makes me wonder that this happens often (if not all times) under low utilization or under idle state. Maybe some low C-states are responsible for this? Like DF C-States (DataFabric = InfinityFabric C-States). The Cache Hierarchy errors are possibly DF/IF related.
There is an option in BIOS for disabling DF C-states. The fact that this happens mostly on Ryzen5000 with its resizable bar feature to access VRAM on the RX6000 series GPUs (and work ot like its own RAM) is pushing me more to this direction.
If I had such a system I would try to disable all power saving modes for all the memory subsystems.

1. DF C-states (IF setting) = Disabled
2. PowerDownMode (DRAM setting) = Disabled
3. SoC/Uncore OC Mode (I/O Die, SoC setting) = Enabled

...and also maybe trying different/all settings on the "Power Supply idle Control"

Also, regarding the resizable bar feature, lately supported by Ryzen3000 by proper BIOS version I would suggest to test it (Enabled/Disabled).

It's interesting you say this. I'm running a 5800X with RTX 3070 and I believe AGESA 1.2.0.0 on an MSI B550M. I do not use hwinfo regularly, it does not start on boot and is simply a portable installation application.
I built the system back in January and had no stability issues. When PBO2 became available via a BIOS update at the start of February I applied at modest undervolt to reduce thermals and squeeze some more power out of my CPU, I didn't adjust the stock limits. Again I had no stability issues at all. It's only twice in this past week that I've had a WHEA cache hierarchy error when the system is idle, both times with the Windows Subsystem for Linux running and I think both times (at least once) I checked out some measurements by starting HWiNFO. The sensible thing to do would now be to reduce the undervolt but I like being able to achieve 5GHz for bragging rights so I'll keep things as is and not open HWiNFO. It makes sense that my undervolt would be responsible, but I'll keep an eye out and report back if it crashes of its own accord.

PS regarding WSL, I believe it's a light enough load to create power state circumstances. Normally idle hasn't been an issue but it's only using WSL and idling I've seen issues.

I was hesitating to come back to this thread until I had root-caused the problem, or at least narrowed it down further. It's interesting that you are seeing WHEA 18 with your configuration and I agree this is very hard to trouble shoot because WHEA 18 seems to be rather generic. So many different search results / so many different system configs. Since my previous post, WHEA 18 came back with a vengeance, seemingly randomly, and whether HWiNFO was running or not. Since then I've tried some things. First, I can prevent them from occurring altogether if I switch to a screen saver instead of using monitor sleep. Sounds crazy, but simply setting screen saver to ribbons, means the system and the GPU never enter into the lowest possible power states. With ribbon screen saver, monitor sleep = off, WHEA disappeared. But, this is not 2001 and it feels weird to run a screen saver to prevent my monitor from going to sleep to prevent a critical Windows fault. So, I kept going. I replaced my PSU with a new 1000w Corsair RM1000x. No change. I then figured it must be my CPU, so I RMA'd my 5950x to AMD (currently with FedEx) and bought a basic R5 3600 for a temporary CPU. Installed the R5 3600 yesterday and WHEA 18 was still present. Last night, I ran 12 hours of memtest with zero issues. So, it's not the RAM, CPU, or PSU. I guess the motherboard and GPU (6900xt) are both possibilities, but I really doubt it. This feels like an insidious bug with AMD Ryzen that crept in around the time that HWiNFO actually had a real issue with WHEA 18, and that was subsequently fixed by the author. Where do I go from here? I'm going to see if Ubuntu is stable. Let it sit there idle all day and see what happens. My gut says Ubuntu will be 100% stable. Next, I'll try a clean Windows install. One thing is for certain, out of the many dozens of WHEA 18 I have had over the past few months, not a single one was under load. Every single one was when the system was idle and I wasn't looking at it. While I love the performance of my 5950x, I'm starting to long for the stability of my previous Intel system. I know this is a HWiNFO thread, and I post this here because some folks will come looking and note that it's easy to draw a correlation between WHEA 18 and HWiNFO, but it's very possible it's just a coincidence.
Not HWiNFO related exactly, but for those who found this thread in WHEA 18 search results, and were wondering how the story ends, my WHEA 18 issues (post HWiNFO fix back in February) were finally resolved. In the end, the issue was my 6900 XT was defective ... in some way that only manifested at idle. I had replaced every component expect motherboard and GPU. Bought the only GPU I could find in a store and swapped out my 6900xt. Instantly, no more WHEA 18 - ever. So, I went through the RMA process on my Red Devil 6900xt. Took a few weeks, but the new one is perfect. System is 100% stable. So, WHEA 18 can be caused by many, many things. A vocal set of 5900/5950 users RMA'd their CPUs. I did the same based on what people experienced and reported in that popular thread. But, there was nothing wrong with my 5950x. Replaced PSU, replaced RAM, clean install of Windows. No matter what, WHEA 18 instability. Replaced GPU and not a single WHEA 18 from that moment forward, which was about 3 weeks ago now. Hope this helps someone.

Not HWiNFO related exactly, but for those who found this thread in WHEA 18 search results, and were wondering how the story ends, my WHEA 18 issues (post HWiNFO fix back in February) were finally resolved. In the end, the issue was my 6900 XT was defective ... in some way that only manifested at idle. I had replaced every component expect motherboard and GPU. Bought the only GPU I could find in a store and swapped out my 6900xt. Instantly, no more WHEA 18 - ever. So, I went through the RMA process on my Red Devil 6900xt. Took a few weeks, but the new one is perfect. System is 100% stable. So, WHEA 18 can be caused by many, many things. A vocal set of 5900/5950 users RMA'd their CPUs. I did the same based on what people experienced and reported in that popular thread. But, there was nothing wrong with my 5950x. Replaced PSU, replaced RAM, clean install of Windows. No matter what, WHEA 18 instability. Replaced GPU and not a single WHEA 18 from that moment forward, which was about 3 weeks ago now. Hope this helps someone.

Interesting.. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey everyone,

System Info:
Ryzen 5 3600 4.2ghz @ 1.125v Allcore
B450M Mortar Max Bios: 7B89v2D Agesa 1.2.0.2, previously 1.1.0.0 with no improvement.
Chipset Driver: 2.13.27.501 - 2/4/2021
Gigabyte RX 6700 XT - 21.5.2 Driver
Sfc /scannow - chkdsk - DISM, no problems.
PSU - Seasonic Core GM-650w(Gold)

30mins Asus Realbench, ~200% mem test pro stable, all kinds of real world load use stable prior to MAY 2021, 5 hour gaming sessions, 3 hour video rendering etc. General use Temps under 72C max load,, <60C gaming. Often left on 24/7.

Then randomly, over the past month at idle, things like youtube or launching a game started triggering a blackscreen/crash with Cache Heirachy Error, this has happened mostly over the past 30 days after setting HWinfo to start with system & simply leaving it on. (I was using it less prior & not running it 24/7),, now originally at the start of the month, I was getting this error on Agesa 1.1.0.0, & it continued after updating to 1.2.0.2 in an attempt to resolve the problem on May 10th, with no improvement,, over the month of May I had the Cache Hierachy Error ~11 times at seemingly random times on random Processor APIC ID's, sometimes with two different processor APIC IDs causing a cache error at exactly the same time.

After the crash and attempting to reproduce the issue, I could not force it to crash again by performing the same actions via applications, but sometimes it would crash when left idle again without me noticing, for only a few hours of idle. (HWinfo open), so I did not even recognize some of the entries until taking a closer look.

At first I tried increasing Vcore by +0.05v & SoC(1.050>1.100v) thinking it was my undervolt idle voltages, or some kindof degradation, with NO improvement before I stumbled across this thread a few days back mentioning HWinfo, which should have been fixed on the current version '7.04' that I was running,, nevertheless I decided I'll avoid using HWinfo to rule it out & see what happens, as well as disable GPU ULPS via Afterburner as it was the other prime suspect on other idle crashing threads, after the CPU voltage increases did not seem to help. But I was running ULPS default for months prior without issue. (Maybe something to do with Resizable BAR, CPU & GPU cache & something HWinfo is doing between core parking & idle just a theory.)

So anyway, onto the 3rd day now and the issue has not returned but still early to know for sure, anecdotal I know but just wanted to share, I even reverted the previously suspected CPU undervolt values to what I originally tested as load stable at the same time & its simply been rock solid(so far), & I've left the system to idle for a few hours multiple times, between 3 hour gaming sessions with ReLive recording etc, followed by long idles or minimal but normal desktop use.

Here's the log.
cache.jpg
Processor APIC ID's
01/05 - 11
03/05 - 8, 11
04/05 - 5 & 10
16/05 - 8, 0 & 12.
24/05 - 5 & 12.
25/05 - 8
I tried to find some pattern of the same cores throwing cache errors,, nothing conclusive imo, core 2 is the fastest in CCX 0 & tends to sleep before Core 1 & 3, but only after CCX 1 is usually completely asleep,,, core 5 is fastest in CCX 1, core 4 is second fastest,, cores 2, 4, 5 & 6 sleep the most when watching Ryzen master at desktop but cores 4 & 8 usually sleep before 5 with core 2 sleeping last /w 1 & 3 the last ones left awake.....(feels like a riddle, which core is most likely to error?)

TLDR: Started using HWinfo daily in May & started getting crashes(not knowing it might have anything to do with HWinfo), I was on 6.42 & updated to 7.04 on the 18th, the version change didnt seem to help,, still had multiple cache heirachy crashes. Prior months before the crashes I would only run HWinfo when benchmarking or stresstesting instead of 24/7. Now ~3 days since keeping HWinfo closed & not a single error. Will keep posted as nothing conclusive yet, give it another 2 weeks before I'll know for certain.

Last edited:
This was an issue in some 6.4x HWiNFO versions, but was fixed in v7.00 and no one has reported this error on v7.00+, so I'm quite surprised about this. Can you certainly rule out that nothing else is causing this, only HWiNFO? Could it perhaps be the ULPS setting instead?

Yep that's what Im trying to figure out at the moment, I actually have another suspicion, I was using nicehash randomly at the start of may and noticed that after mining if not restarted the GPU would be stuck in 'compute' mode which it automatically switches to(my best guess) as there's no driver setting to enable or disable it, this would affect ReLive recording bitrate & target framerate(so a 60fps recording would come out at ~48fps until reboot), there's a possibility that 'compute mode' was having some issue with HWINFO + ULPS + core parking(that can only be viewed through ryzen master) and maybe resizable bar as the crash frequency _might_ coincide with times I left the PC running AFTER turning mining off and not rebooting, but I wasnt logging the exact dates AND I also had the ~6.4 HWinfo until the 18th which is a known issue, the hierarchy crashes did persist after the 18th & I believe I did run nicehash a couple of times around those dates, Nicehash logging only keeps a week of history & NH had been running hours earlier on the errors of 24th & 25th,, the last time I used the software was on the 25th at ~3am but this still doesnt help prove anything yet.

Obviously I'd have to re-enable one thing at a time minimize variables, Nicehash was the only abnormal use-case combined with HWinfo 'launch on startup' & running in notification tray that might explain or at least have contributed to the random crash behaviour so it's worth mentioning, still,, I was using Nicehash for months prior without crashes prior to switching HWinfo to start with windows, I would normally launch HWinfo manually before the month of May after startup so this seems to be a key factor,,, ULPS was on default since getting the GPU in March.. I believe there is an interaction/conflict happening somewhere. MSI Afterburner has also been booting with the system as-well since I was using HWinfo RTSS OSD in conjunction over the previous few weeks but other than those few applications the startup tab is minimal incase the question comes to mind 'how bloated could my system be'.

Here's a few task manager screenshots:
Startup: https://i.postimg.cc/qMWfD2Kt/image.png
CPU Tab: https://i.postimg.cc/cJMVJjbY/image.png
Processes sorted by CPU: https://postimg.cc/XZ2v3YTk
Sorted by Memory: https://postimg.cc/kVRHMjHY

Could 'low-level access interface' in afterburner conflict with HWinfo if set to Kernel mode? I have it on user at the moment & I honestly dont know how significant this setting might be.

On the plus side, I have done a few ~3hr videos using HWinfo normally with no crashes, but always turn it off when done recording, so I'm using it like I used to prior to May & had always been using it this way for months prior without problems, the main reason I started booting it with windows was to show VRAM temperatures in the RTSS/Afterburner OSD as I'd sometimes forget to turn it on.

So this was my standard HWinfo usage 2 months prior, I'd use it when stress-testing or doing a driver benchmark test(small series on my channel) but kept it off majority of the time:

And this is when I started running HWinfo at startup, at first not with OSD but for background monitoring of VRAM temperatures, then I added it to RTSS for OSD integration in gameplay recordings, exclusively in May, so it was launching at startup sometime around first week of may when the issue was frequently occuring, after updating to v7.04 on the 18th, it's interesting that there was no crash until the 24th, so the randomness is very hard to be certain of anything without a good 2 weeks of testing, I also ran nicehash around these times though the crashes do not sync up with when NH was run,, 3-4am on the 24th & 12am-12pm on the 25th(this is why I suspect the 'stuck compute mode' possibility), I did confirm that the nicehash timeline matches my system clock so those times are accurate, if only it went back further than a week.

Basically all I can do for now, after another week of keeping HWinfo off, I'll then re-enable HWinfo 'start with windows' to see if it runs fine with ULPS off, as having them both on together could be something to do with it and thats how it was prior running HWinfo on startup when the issues began, ULPS ON by itself wasnt a problem for months prior. I also have to investigate if Nicehash compute mode may be causing a bug with Resizable bar & CPU core parking(I honestly have no idea HOW it would do that, but its another possibility), but the crash was no occuring with Nicehash alone which was used heavily in March & April, this is why I focused on HWinfo after stumbling across reddit threads on its involvement(though I do not believe HWinfo is directly to blame, there is an interaction or bug happening somewhere), for now I've kept Nicehash off to avoid dealing with too many variables at once.

It's also worth noting, I have had MSI Afterburner starting with windows the entire time & there was also an update on May 13th to the current version I'm on now, both before and after the hierarchy errors appeared, Afterburner does take priority for my daily usage & OSD needs over HWinfo(though I love HWinfos detail), so just to make that clear, there may simply be a conflict with HWinfo & Afterburner starting with windows together? Currently Afterburner is 4.6.3 Beta 3, Rivatuner 7.3.2 Beta 2. Afterburner is still launching at startup as of now with no apparent issues by itself.

So to summarize a rough timeline over the past 3 months:
March & April:

Nicehash(heavily), system on 24/7 often, MSI Afterburner & Rivatuner at startup
/w ULPS untouched, manually launching HWinfo64 ~6.42& leaving it running for 24hrs+ even overnight. No crashes.
System mostly used for gaming, relive recording/benchmarking, noticed the Nicehash Compute issue in regards to ReLive Framerate drop.
Agesa 1.1.0.0.
No Hierarchy crashes with all the above.

May:
- Turned HWinfo to 'launch at startup', used Nicehash much less but I cant verify the exact times, otherwise usage was basically the same with more 'idle' time when the first hierarchy errors appeared in the first week of May, at first I assumed it was stability related so spent ~2 weeks trying to address it bios side, increasing Vcore, SoC voltage etc.
- Updated AGESA May 10th, maybe it did, but the issue recurred 6 days later. I hate diagnosing intermittent issues, I WAS trying to reproduce the issue with no success.
- Updated Afterburner & HWinfo in May as well when I saw updates were available, 8 days until the next one.
- Increased Vcore again, had another crash the following day. Nicehash had been running on 24th & 25th, but HOURS beforehand & not at the time of the crashes, HWinfo was running at these times too.
- Stumbled across Reddit and this thread investigating HWinfo as a possible cause(& saw the 6.42 thing) & also read about GPU power being a possibility.
- So disabled both ULPS using Afterburner & turned HWinfo launch at startup off. Currently crash free, day 4.

To top it all off Windows has also been pushing through its experimental updates that sometimes fix themselves, there was an update on May 16th, and May 24th & I have yet to investigate the possibility they also triggered crashing somehow. It may also be related to drivers beyond WHQL 21.4.1, as I've been testing performance of the 'optional' driver releases on this system, 21.5.1 & 21.5.2.

I still have yet to encounter another cache hierarchy crash as of this post & have been using the system rather heavily with good periods of 'idle' in between over the past few days. Any additional info just ask.

Last edited:
Hi guys and gals.
I have a problem here. My system is generating Kernel-WHEA (ID 20) errors and CTD (Apex), only when hwinfo64 (current v7.04-4480) is running. I have the event logger set to alert me if any WHEA occurs.

System:
ASUS TUF Z490 WIFI PLUS (LATEST BIOS)
INTEL I7 10700K
NVIDIA 2060

Log-file attached. Had an error at 12:31 or 12:32.

Thanks.

Attachments

• hwinfo64.zip
    188.1 KB · Views: 5
  • event_viewer.jpg
    event_viewer.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DBG.zip
    2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi guys and gals.
I have a problem here. My system is generating Kernel-WHEA (ID 20) errors and CTD (Apex), only when hwinfo64 (current v7.04-4480) is running. I have the event logger set to alert me if any WHEA occurs.

System:
ASUS TUF Z490 WIFI PLUS (LATEST BIOS)
INTEL I7 10700K
NVIDIA 2060

Log-file attached. Had an error at 12:31 or 12:32.

Thanks.

This is an Intel system with NVIDIA, exactly the opposite of what was causing issues in the past. Do those errors also result in BSOD or shutdown?
Try to disable monitoring of some sensors, i.e. NVIDIA GPU to see if that will stop producing those errors.

This is an Intel system with NVIDIA, exactly the opposite of what was causing issues in the past. Do those errors also result in BSOD or shutdown?
Try to disable monitoring of some sensors, i.e. NVIDIA GPU to see if that will stop producing those errors.
This is so strange. Apex will generate WHEA correctable errors and crash to desktop only when monitoring tools are open. Tested with MSI afterburner, HWINFO64 and LibreHardwareMonitor. If I have none open, I can play error-free or without CTD's. I still check for WHEA via event viewer messaging me via task scheduler if an error is logged. The CPU if OCed and is stable on longs runs of AIDA64, ASUS RB, PRIME95 AXW. RAM was also tested with long runs of TM5 and HCI.

Back